The Student Room Group

Covid policy doesn't control covid; it controls you!

--

Scroll to see replies

Another conspiracy theory.
Original post by Gundabad(good)
Another conspiracy theory.

Please do explain.
Original post by LaPregunta
Please do explain.

”In America, you control covid policy
In Soviet Russia, covid policy control you!”

Saw the title and couldn't resist making a pun
Please do explain.

The Government is not trying to control people. They're just doing the bare minimum so they don't get the total blame for this mess.
The Government is not trying to control people. They're just doing the bare minimum so they don't get the total blame for this mess.

The bare minimum might have been true of their policy before the u-turn, which resulted in lockdown, completely ignorin that the economy is a service economy. The "mess" is largely their doin.

'Services provide around four-fifths of jobs and gross value added in the UK.'

'The OBR’s long term projections showed debt heading for 300 per cent of earnings by the 2060s if nothing it done to reduce it', excerpt from Jobless could hit 4m by end of year as poor GDP figures dash City hopes of V-shaped recovery.
The bare minimum might have been true of their policy before the u-turn, which resulted in lockdown, completely ignorin that the economy is a service economy. The "mess" is largely their doin.

'The OBR’s long term projections showed debt heading for 300 per cent of earnings by the 2060s if nothing it done to reduce it', excerpt from Jobless could hit 4m by end of year as poor GDP figures dash City hopes of V-shaped recovery.

Covid 19 will be very bad for the UK's economy. We all need to accept that.

So what's your point? That we should have remained open for business?

Sweeden did that and saw more deaths per capita than us and their service economy is still struggling.
Original post by ByEeek
So what's your point? That we should have remained open for business?

Sweeden did that and saw more deaths per capita than us and their service economy is still struggling.

I'm tearful you managed to miss my point and had to ask me. Yes— it should have been better to have 'remained open for business'.

It's good you chose deaths per capita because Sweden is beaten by countries that 'lockdowned' on deaths per million... of which the United Kingdom is one.
Covid 19 will be very bad for the UK's economy. We all need to accept that.

Correction. The Conservative Party's response to Covid-19 will be very bad for the UK's economy. We all need to question that rather than meekly accept it like obedient supplicants.
Original post by Kitten in boots
Correction. The Conservative Party's response to Covid-19 will be very bad for the UK's economy. We all need to question that rather than meekly accept it like obedient supplicants.

Do you honestly think Labour will be any better? No political party can control the actions of an entire nation, nevermind the entire world.
Reply 11

I mean i agree with the general point you're making but by definition they are trying to control people here :wink:
I'm tearful you managed to miss my point and had to ask me. Yes— it should have been better to have 'remained open for business'.

It's good you chose deaths per capita because Sweden is beaten by countries that 'lockdowned' on deaths per million... of which the United Kingdom is one.

Do you not think that had we taken the same approach as Sweden things would have been vastly worse? Do you feel that 60,000 excess deaths is reasonable? And we have only just got started in that department. My prediction is this winter will make the summer look like a breeze.
Original post by ByEeek
Do you not think that had we taken the same approach as Sweden things would have been vastly worse? Do you feel that 60,000 excess deaths is reasonable? And we have only just got started in that department. My prediction is this winter will make the summer look like a breeze.

No: Sweden has less deaths per million; its economy benfitted from a less harsh policy (it still took a dip): and there is a belief when covid-19 comes back they shall, by herd immunity, have less deaths. Allow me to quote The Guardian's analysis of the UK:

'Twice as bad as the US. Ten times worse than anything seen during the financial crash of the late 2000s. Worse than any EU country. The UK is planted firmly at the bottom of the Covid-19 developed country league table after the economy contracted by a fifth in the second quarter of 2020, wiping out more than a decade and a half of growth in three months.'

That's just what I think.

Can you give me the source for the 60,000 excess deaths? I have heard it a lot.
No: Sweden has less deaths per million; its economy benfitted from a less harsh policy (it still took a dip): and there is a belief when covid-19 comes back they shall, by herd immunity, have less deaths. Allow me to quote The Guardian's analysis of the UK:

'Twice as bad as the US. Ten times worse than anything seen during the financial crash of the late 2000s. Worse than any EU country. The UK is planted firmly at the bottom of the Covid-19 developed country league table after the economy contracted by a fifth in the second quarter of 2020, wiping out more than a decade and a half of growth in three months.'

That's just what I think.

Can you give me the source for the 60,000 excess deaths? I have heard it a lot.

I do beg your pardon. The fugure currently stands at 53,000 excess deaths or there abouts

https://fingertips.phe.org.uk/static-reports/mortality-surveillance/excess-mortality-in-england-latest.html

But either way. It is widely accepted that you can't compare Sweeden to the UK. They have a tiny population spread over a large area and their economy is very different too.

If you are going to compare like with like, compare Nordic countries.
Original post by neolith
--

Well, you know the saying; "Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ByEeek
I do beg your pardon. The fugure currently stands at 53,000 excess deaths or there abouts

https://fingertips.phe.org.uk/static-reports/mortality-surveillance/excess-mortality-in-england-latest.html

But either way. It is widely accepted that you can't compare Sweeden to the UK. They have a tiny population spread over a large area and their economy is very different too.

If you are going to compare like with like, compare Nordic countries.

I pardon you.

It was you who started the comparison— do not embarrass yourself, I was merely replyin to you.

I shall compare what I like for statistics and trends. I never cared much for what is "accepted", especially to government puppets.
I shall compare what I like for statistics and trends. I never cared much for what is "accepted", especially to government puppets.

With that attitude you have an excellent aptitude to join our pack of jokers government who also don't understand basic statistics and who quote figures that suit their agenda rather than anything meaninful.

However, if you are interested in serious statistical analysis of covid stats, I highly recommend Radio 4s More or Less.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qshd
Original post by ByEeek
With that attitude you have an excellent aptitude to join our pack of jokers government who also don't understand basic statistics and who quote figures that suit their agenda rather than anything meaninful.

However, if you are interested in serious statistical analysis of covid stats, I highly recommend Radio 4s More or Less.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qshd

I'm not. You're the puppet here, not me. I'm a dissenter. The Cabinet of U-Turns is an echo chamber, unwelcomin to people who spend quite some time lookin at statistics.

Radio 4 used to be my favourite radio. It's coverage has been disappointin, misleadin, and ill-informed. Now Classical FM is my favourite radio. Can you pick one for me?
I'm not. You're the puppet here, not me. I'm a dissenter.

Another word for disenter in these times is super spreader.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending