The Student Room Group

Dad is mad

My little sister who is in year 7 went shopping with her friends today.
She only has two t-shirts and two hoodies she always wear (as she grew out of everything else) so she was excited she could finally get some new clothes.

She comes back home and shows us her clothes
One of the t-shirts she bought looked like a crop top (barely cropped) but she is quite small so it would have looked like a normal t-shirt anyway.

We are from a south asian household so when my dad found out she had got that he got veryyyyyy angry.

I could hear him shouting at her from my room he can also be physical in his punishments as well. She's so innocent and didn't deserve it.

I feel so bad but I don't know what to do. She's crying her eyes out right now as he left with the rest of my family to the park or something.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
My little sister who is in year 7 went shopping with her friends today.
She only has two t-shirts and two hoodies she always wear (as she grew out of everything else) so she was excited she could finally get some new clothes.

She comes back home and shows us her clothes
One of the t-shirts she bought looked like a crop top (barely cropped) but she is quite small so it would have looked like a normal t-shirt anyway.

We are from a south asian household so when my dad found out she had got that he got veryyyyyy angry.

I could hear him shouting at her from my room he can also be physical in his punishments as well. She's so innocent and didn't deserve it.

I feel so bad but I don't know what to do. She's crying her eyes out right now as he left with the rest of my family to the park or something.

when i was in year 7 i would never go outside without my mother coming with me
and also south asians are strict for a reason, dont get mad they dont want there children to divert into immoral acts
Original post by dyelbro
and also south asians are strict for a reason, dont get mad they dont want there children to divert into immoral acts

What exactly is immoral about wearing a crop top? There's nothing wrong with it. Just because you lived a certain way in year 7, it doesn't mean that is the right way for everyone or at all.
Reply 3
Original post by dyelbro
and also south asians are strict for a reason, dont get mad they dont want there children to divert into immoral act

I am not mad, he is. I just feel sorry for her especially since she was so excited about it and purposefully got a size bigger so it was even further from cropped. That said it wasn't even that cropped he assumed it was as it looked shorter but that's because she's is a small size.

she's not doing anything wrong and she isn't being immoral at all. They have to realise that we didn't grow up in the same time and place as them and just because they didn't wear that growing up doesn't mean it's bad or immoral.
Reply 4
Original post by Chopinnocturne31
What exactly is immoral about wearing a crop top? There's nothing wrong with it. Just because you lived a certain way in year 7, it doesn't mean that is the right way for everyone or at all.

its immoral because it sexualises a child
i think you should talk to him
if she enjoys wearing crop tops, as long as she's happy and comfortable, she should be able to

i understand what maybe ur dad thinks abt it and how it can be 'immoral', but honestly its not very immoral, imo
do what makes u and her happy

also go give ur sis a hug (:
give her a hug and comfort her, tell her it's fine- even try it on and see how long it is, if she decides nope not a good idea return it if possible
Original post by dyelbro
its immoral because it sexualises a child

Hahahahahaaaaaa THE ABSOLUTE IRONY HERE 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 YOU are the one sexualising the child. A piece of clothing does nothing 😂😂😂😂
Reply 8
Hahahahahaaaaaa THE ABSOLUTE IRONY HERE 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 YOU are the one sexualising the child. A piece of clothing does nothing 😂😂😂😂

would you let your daughter go outside in just underwear?
Original post by dyelbro
would you let your daughter go outside in just underwear?

Is a crop top the same as underwear?

And anyway, it depends on the age. If you think that a child showing a bit of her STOMACH is sexy, you need to take a good like at your life 🤢
Is a crop top the same as underwear?

And anyway, it depends on the age. If you think that a child showing a bit of her STOMACH is sexy, you need to take a good like at your life 🤢

i can be all high and mighty and think humans are all loving and all kind, and i can assume every evil person can be changed
but i dont. i cant do anything to stop the pedophilles and creeps roaming around
so what am i else to do
find the cure or prevent the effect
Original post by dyelbro
i can be all high and mighty and think humans are all loving and all kind, and i can assume every evil person can be changed
but i dont. i cant do anything to stop the pedophilles and creeps roaming around
so what am i else to do
find the cure or prevent the effect

Obviously not. But what a girl wears has nothing to do with whether she will be raped or not. A paedophile will take any child unfortunately, no matter what she wears. And anyway, a crop top is in no way provocative. It’s literally just a midriff. It’s not considered provocative for a 11 year old boy to be walking around without a shirt one. Why? Because no one sexualises boys from a young age. What did you do with this poor 11 year old in this situation? Sexualise her for showing a small portion of her stomach
why do she only have two shirts and one hoodie?
is that all she has?
Obviously not. But what a girl wears has nothing to do with whether she will be raped or not. A paedophile will take any child unfortunately, no matter what she wears. And anyway, a crop top is in no way provocative. It’s literally just a midriff. It’s not considered provocative for a 11 year old boy to be walking around without a shirt one. Why? Because no one sexualises boys from a young age. What did you do with this poor 11 year old in this situation? Sexualise her for showing a small portion of her stomach

i think i wrote my reasoning wrong
in south asian culture specifically it is considered sexualisation by showing part of there stomach
the same reason why many women wear hijabs/burqas, because in the quran its written your hair and skin is sexual so you should cover with a cloth
Original post by dyelbro
i think i wrote my reasoning wrong
in south asian culture specifically it is considered sexualisation by showing part of there stomach
the same reason why many women wear hijabs/burqas, because in the quran its written your hair and skin is sexual so you should cover with a cloth

And why isn’t a man’s hair and skin sexual? 🤨 All you’re doing is proving that you’re objectifying women and even young girls
Not having any experience of what it might be like to grow up with strict parents, I'm only going to offer some clarification. From the description it seems that what was referred to as a "crop top" is actually a "cropped top." The difference here is that a "crop top" is underwear, often worn by girls of about that age (11-13) instead of a bra as not as much support is needed or indeed wanted. However, a "cropped top" refers to what may have started out as a full length t-shirt and has been "cropped" or cut to a slightly shorter length. These are usually sold as "cropped tops" much like ripped jeans have adapted from styles young women made their clothes into in the recent past. (Women would purposefully rip their jeans as a fashion statement, and this is the same with "cropped tops.")
Personally I don't feel that a "cropped top" sexualises an 11 year old's body in any way, especially if it is a size bigger, and hardly cropped.
I hope that your (OP) sister is able to feel comfortable wearing cropped tops in the future, even after your fathers forceful outburst against it. I agree, give her a hug :smile:
Original post by chopinnocturne31
and why isn’t a man’s hair and skin sexual? 🤨 all you’re doing is proving that you’re objectifying women and even young girls

i dont know
im not saying i agree with what is happening

i am just reciting what the quran sais and how south asian people think
This is ****ed up
you need to talk to someone about what your dad's doing
it's not right
why are we dicussing the mortality???? of a crop top more than the issue here?
First off - I understand that south asian families have a tendency to be more strict when it comes to their kids but please don't think it's normal in any way. There are plenty of kids in south asian families who have the freedom to do what your sister just did. Give her a massive hug, and please tell her that buying a cute top in no way justifies what she just went through. You know what your dad did was wrong but I'm also sensing you're not in a position to do something about it, so unless you feel comfortable with talking to someone about your family life, you need to make yourselves as safe as possible by discussing together what actions and topics etc you need to avoid to stop him getting mad for no reason.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending