The Student Room Group

Do you think boris should add calories to menus

Will you support his decisions if he does?
I meant show the amount of calories that are in a meal in the menu
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If he did I wouldnt even read it anyway :lol:
Yes definitely, I’ve joined the gym and I’ve been tracking my calories to maximise my gains, knowing how many calories something is allows me to plan my meals around it more effectively
I couldn't be more indifferent to something.
Original post by Dinasaurus
Yes definitely, I’ve joined the gym and I’ve been tracking my calories to maximise my gains, knowing how many calories something is allows me to plan my meals around it more effectively

As someone with disordered eating, I do think it’ll be kind of triggering. What do you think he can do to people with eds and a very unhealthy relationship with food?
Original post by Anonymous
As someone with disordered eating, I do think it’ll be kind of triggering. What do you think he can do to people with eds and a very unhealthy relationship with food?

Maybe just have a QR code on the menu that you can scan for the info, it’s quite frustrating going to restaurants and not having any idea what I ate
No.
This would risk triggering serious anxiety, ed relapses, ocd and panic attacks in people that have issues with their weight/food intake/mental heath.
Not to mention burdening the restaurant, pub and takeaway sectors at a time when they are most struggling.
That would be soooooo useful
Absolutely he should - the benefit it would cause vs the side effect (of people who could just not read it) is overwhelming.
It may also encourage your larger restaurants (both the obvious takeaways like Mcdonalds etc but also chains of higher quality) to actually make their meals healthier as the high salt/preservative content would start to become more apparent also.
Reply 9
Original post by londonmyst
No.
This would risk triggering serious anxiety, ed relapses, ocd and panic attacks in people that have issues with their weight/food intake/mental heath.
Not to mention burdening the restaurant, pub and takeaway sectors at a time when they are most struggling.

I agree with the first part. But, not the second. In America this idea works pretty well (whether or not people stick to it is another issue). Having calories displayed (for the most part) is actually beneficial. Why would it burden restaurants?
Original post by TheWannabeFarmer
Absolutely he should - the benefit it would cause vs the side effect (of people who could just not read it) is overwhelming.
It may also encourage your larger restaurants (both the obvious takeaways like Mcdonalds etc but also chains of higher quality) to actually make their meals healthier as the high salt/preservative content would start to become more apparent also.

Agreed. Note that McDonald's already put calorie counts on their menus - I know this because I can just about survive eating a Big Mac, fries and nine McNuggets (~1,250kcal) without feeling... bloated :P
Do the restaurants that already show the calories even stick to it? I doubt they care one bit about a person's calorie intake. They just want to make money.
I think there should be the option to have a menu with the calorie content that you can request to see, but I don’t think it’s healthy to have it plastered on every menu.

Eating Disorders are increasingly prevalent and the most deadly psychiatric condition. As someone who lost a dear friend to multi-organ failure as a result of Anorexia & seeing her literally break down and isolate herself for weeks after an evening in a Wetherspoons which displayed calories, I know all too well the damage this move can (and WILL) cause.

Not to mention ED Services (as with all other mental health services) are chronically underfunded... so there’ll be a huge surge in demand for professional support with a system which is floundering as it is.
i would read it. i've always thought it is odd that the information is not available.
Original post by Carbon Dioxide
Agreed. Note that McDonald's already put calorie counts on their menus - I know this because I can just about survive eating a Big Mac, fries and nine McNuggets (~1,250kcal) without feeling... bloated :P

In London ?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by MalcolmX
i would read it. i've always thought it is odd that the information is not available.

Ngl same. I’m definitely gonna relapse each time tho😙
Original post by 5hyl33n
Do the restaurants that already show the calories even stick to it? I doubt they care one bit about a person's calorie intake. They just want to make money.

What restaurants show calories?
Reply 17
It’s nonsense. Everyone knows what are unhealthy foods and if they don’t the information is readily available.
no, it's not considerate to those already recovering or suffering with disordered eating and will likely increase the number of people who will start to suffer from it- calories shouldn't be as such a big deal as having a balanced diet or encouraging a healthy lifestyle. maybe an optional menu for calories if people are so fussed
Original post by Shenotalright
What restaurants show calories?

McDonald's (depending if you want to call it a restaurant!)
Nando's
Bella Italia

I'm not sure about other restaurants.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending