The Student Room Group

Car battery clamp screw is loose. how to rectify it ?

I'm not sure exactly what they are called but I noticed that the small screws that tighten/loosen to secure or remove the battery have come loose they look as if they will fall off. I tightened the battery but I am worried the next time the battery is undone that the screw thing will fall off.
what should I do to rectify this ?

thanks
Reply 1
Tighten it.
Original post by IWMTom
Tighten it.

Stop being sarcastic I'm not in the mood.

I need to take battery off but if I do the thread will likely break off as I'm undoing the battery
Reply 3
Original post by Cleverboy1991
Stop being sarcastic I'm not in the mood.

I need to take battery off but if I do the thread will likely break off as I'm undoing the battery

It wasn't sarcasm.
I'm not sure exactly what they are called but I noticed that the small screws that tighten/loosen to secure or remove the battery have come loose they look as if they will fall off. I tightened the battery but I am worried the next time the battery is undone that the screw thing will fall off.
what should I do to rectify this ?

Why are you worried? Are they corroded, or otherwise damaged? They should be cheap enough to replace, if damaged.
Original post by RogerOxon
Why are you worried? Are they corroded, or otherwise damaged? They should be cheap enough to replace, if damaged.

It's those threads that the screw fastens into the threads are wobbly and loose car-battery-terminal-186110.jpg

That's not from my car it's a generic image from the Internet
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by IWMTom
It wasn't sarcasm.

see above
It's those threads that the screw fastens into the threads are wobbly and loose car-battery-terminal-186110.jpg

That's not from my car it's a generic image from the Internet

Replace the nut and bolt. They're cheap.
Reply 8
see above

It's just a nut - you can pop down to B&Q and get a replacement for pennies :smile:
Original post by IWMTom
It's just a nut - you can pop down to B&Q and get a replacement for pennies :smile:

I'm not stupid, if it was that simple I'd have done that by now I wouldn't be posting on the forums

I think that the nut is attached to the leads that clamp onto the car battery I think they're welded on or something I don't think they can be changed without replacing the entire leads
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by RogerOxon
Replace the nut and bolt. They're cheap.

See above
Reply 11
I'm not stupid, if it was that simple I'd have done that by now I wouldn't be posting on the forums

I think that the nut is attached to the leads that clamp onto the car battery I think they're welded on or something I don't think they can be changed without replacing the entire leads

There's no need to be rude, Mark.. you're reading sarcasm where there isn't any!

You'll find that the nut has just rusted on to the clamp. You should be able to knock it off with a chisel or flat head screwdriver (CAREFULLY!) and replace it with a new one.
Reply 12
Put a new bolt through the existing nut? Or if there isn't a hole, drill straight through the "welded nut", and then put another nut on the end? This isn't aluminium, the size tools you'll be using on these steel fasteners will be nowhere near strong enough to do any damage. If god forbid you do ruin the threads, buy a new appropriately sized bolt/nut combination like Tom said lol.

Trust me lad, you haven't experienced pain until you've tried to undo rusted exhaust header bolts on a motorcycle. Steel into an aluminum head is a recipe for disaster, real danger to snap bolts/ruin threads which cannot be fixed easily. Quick fix with B&Q bolts is out of the question when you've got a stud snapped clean in the head.

Compared to the other task's you've tried to do, this one is pretty straight forward.

Your photo doesn't appear to show the part that you're talking about. Do you mean a bolt thread that rises from the terminal clamp, to attach smaller cables to? If so, I'd replace the terminal clamp. You might have to crimp new ends on some of the smaller cables to allow them to attach to a new clamp.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending