The Student Room Group

Explain Uni offers please

So, you're able to pick 5 University courses to apply for, let's say I get offers from all 5 back. If I firm a Uni but don't get in, would I go straight to clearing or would my other 4 offers be there to fall back on.

I know I can pick an insurance but, equally, in that case, what happens to the other 3 offers?
You pick a firm and an insurance offer, and all others are then automatically declined. So, if you don't get into your firm offer uni on results day, you get your insurance offer. If you are rejected from both firm and insurance, then you may go into UCAS Clearing, decide against going to uni, take a gap year (and maybe reapply), etc. You can decline all offers you are holding after results day and self-release into clearing if you wish as well.

If you don't get any offers at all before results day (or declined all of them), you can go into UCAS Extra and apply for an additional course elsewhere (you can repeat this step as many times as desired. If you exceed the requirements of your firm offer on results day, you may be eligible for UCAS Adjustment to apply again to another uni with higher entry criteria.

Essentially though the "extra" offers cease to exist once you pick your firm and insurance. The purpose of the 5 choices is to give you enough opportunities to get at least 2 offers so you have a firm and insurance.
Original post by thatcollegegirl
So, you're able to pick 5 University courses to apply for, let's say I get offers from all 5 back. If I firm a Uni but don't get in, would I go straight to clearing or would my other 4 offers be there to fall back on.

I know I can pick an insurance but, equally, in that case, what happens to the other 3 offers?

the 3/4 offers disappear once you've chosen a firm and an insurance.
You start with 5 choices, in UCAS
Hopefully get from 1 to 5 replies via UCAS
(Offers subject to grades or sometimes unconditional)
Choose one of these 1 to 5 as “Firm”
Choose one of the 0 to 4 remaining as “insurance”

Study, revise, do exams - in August get results, UCAS knows these,
you’ll get a confirmation from “Firm” , or you can then enter Clearing/Adjustment and try and change things slightly/completely based upon lots of phone calls on Clearing days....

Let’s see how that fits with other points of view
Original post by artful_lounger
You pick a firm and an insurance offer, and all others are then automatically declined. So, if you don't get into your firm offer uni on results day, you get your insurance offer. If you are rejected from both firm and insurance, then you may go into UCAS Clearing, decide against going to uni, take a gap year (and maybe reapply), etc. You can decline all offers you are holding after results day and self-release into clearing if you wish as well.

If you don't get any offers at all before results day (or declined all of them), you can go into UCAS Extra and apply for an additional course elsewhere (you can repeat this step as many times as desired. If you exceed the requirements of your firm offer on results day, you may be eligible for UCAS Adjustment to apply again to another uni with higher entry criteria.

Essentially though the "extra" offers cease to exist once you pick your firm and insurance. The purpose of the 5 choices is to give you enough opportunities to get at least 2 offers so you have a firm and insurance.

That last bit makes so much sense thank you! Applying for 5 means that you're more likely to be able to get at least 2 back to make a firm and insurance! Gotcha. Thanks again! Xx
Original post by LuigiMario
You start with 5 choices, in UCAS
Hopefully get from 1 to 5 replies via UCAS
(Offers subject to grades or sometimes unconditional)
Choose one of these 1 to 5 as “Firm”
Choose one of the 0 to 4 remaining as “insurance”

Study, revise, do exams - in August get results, UCAS knows these,
you’ll get a confirmation from “Firm” , or you can then enter Clearing/Adjustment and try and change things slightly/completely based upon lots of phone calls on Clearing days....

Let’s see how that fits with other points of view

Thank you!
How to Avoid 5 Rejections - lots of advice about common application mistakes : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

How to Choose your Firm and Insurance : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/firm-and-insurance-choices
Original post by McGinger
How to Avoid 5 Rejections - lots of advice about common application mistakes : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

How to Choose your Firm and Insurance : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/firm-and-insurance-choices

Thanks, I'll check them out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending