The Student Room Group
Reply 1

Hi, I am not 100% sure what the best type would be, but I would recommend spending a little bit more so that they last longer, saves you getting sore feet and having to buy more every 6 months or so! Maybe double check with the company to see which they recommend! Good Luck!
If it's only a few hours a week, and only about 2 years, cheap option is fine. If you'll need them any longer than that, get the magnums. I've had those £40 boots disintegrate on me after a year or two; their soles are haphazardly glued onto the boot.
Original post by Abzzz57
Hi, I am not 100% sure what the best type would be, but I would recommend spending a little bit more so that they last longer, saves you getting sore feet and having to buy more every 6 months or so! Maybe double check with the company to see which they recommend! Good Luck!

thats what i thought but my brother has the super cheap ones and hes have aged fine over 2 years, so im wondering how much longer expensive ones might last.

How much do you recommend spending on cadet boots for someone who will be wearing the boots literally a few hours a week?
Reply 4
Original post by The Torrent
thats what i thought but my brother has the super cheap ones and hes have aged fine over 2 years, so im wondering how much longer expensive ones might last.

How much do you recommend spending on cadet boots for someone who will be wearing the boots literally a few hours a week?

Ohh if they have lasted him that long then maybe go for those then? I guess the branded ones are more expensive but not as good so I would go for the make that looks the best.

It really depends on the budget, but I would say around £30-£40 max, I would check ebay for maybe 2nd hand boots or the army store?
Original post by Abzzz57
Ohh if they have lasted him that long then maybe go for those then? I guess the branded ones are more expensive but not as good so I would go for the make that looks the best.

It really depends on the budget, but I would say around £30-£40 max, I would check ebay for maybe 2nd hand boots or the army store?

really only 40 quid max? hmmmm well thats how much i can get those cheap ones for but someone else has already told me to just invest.

I can get the expensive ones for 65 so im just thinking 25 quid more is it worth it???.... idk because i mean i think the jumps worth it but i dont know if im going to wear them enough for it to be worth it...
Reply 6
really only 40 quid max? hmmmm well thats how much i can get those cheap ones for but someone else has already told me to just invest.

I can get the expensive ones for 65 so im just thinking 25 quid more is it worth it???.... idk because i mean i think the jumps worth it but i dont know if im going to wear them enough for it to be worth it...

Tbh £40 sounds like a lot to me especially for boots but I don't really invest much in shoes (even though I probably should)! I would double check with your officer/ group leader and see what they suggest, they might have a few links or discounts that can help?

I have seen on a few cadet forums that say the magnum (I think that's the name) are the best so maybe check those..
Reply 7
Depends how long/what you'll use them for.

If it's literally just doing drill or classroom work a couple of hours a week I wouldn't spend too much.

However, if you're doing any field work (even only a couple of times a year), I can't emphasise enough not to cheap out. More expensive boots will be more comfortable, last longer and, crucially, have better waterproofing - can't emphasise enough how important that is. There's nothing worse than getting your feet soaked; even on sunny days you'll get soaked through within minutes running around on dewy grass.

I got a relatively cheap pair when I started (<£50), which lasted me about 2 years. They were comfortable but the waterproofing was mediocre and by the end the soles were starting to delaminate a bit from the main boot - though they held up very well other than that. My next pair was about £80 and was just generally better in every way. The waterproofing in particular was far better.

TLDR: Cheap if you're just doing drill once a week, expensive if you're doing *anything* above that. You get what you pay for
Original post by tmr19
Depends how long/what you'll use them for.

If it's literally just doing drill or classroom work a couple of hours a week I wouldn't spend too much.

However, if you're doing any field work (even only a couple of times a year), I can't emphasise enough not to cheap out. More expensive boots will be more comfortable, last longer and, crucially, have better waterproofing - can't emphasise enough how important that is. There's nothing worse than getting your feet soaked; even on sunny days you'll get soaked through within minutes running around on dewy grass.

I got a relatively cheap pair when I started (<£50), which lasted me about 2 years. They were comfortable but the waterproofing was mediocre and by the end the soles were starting to delaminate a bit from the main boot - though they held up very well other than that. My next pair was about £80 and was just generally better in every way. The waterproofing in particular was far better.

TLDR: Cheap if you're just doing drill once a week, expensive if you're doing *anything* above that. You get what you pay for

Guess I'll get a pair of magnum viper pro's then for about 65 quid. I will be doing field work a lot, if not all of my few hours a week. Then I'm told there's a lot of weekend trips and stuff (but not yet due to covid). You think the viper pro's are a good choice? I can find 'cougar's or 'panther' for about 45-55 quid.
I wear magnum stealth force boots in the winter and I don't even need to put an insole in because they're comfortable enough without it (I have insoles in all my other shoes/boots). So if the viper is anything like the stealth force you'll be very comfortable. I've had mine for about 5 years: I wear them everyday for probably around 4 months a year.

I had those army ones you linked to in the past and the sole started to come off after a while. Plus they're not half as comfortable as my magnums.
Reply 10
Guess I'll get a pair of magnum viper pro's then for about 65 quid. I will be doing field work a lot, if not all of my few hours a week. Then I'm told there's a lot of weekend trips and stuff (but not yet due to covid). You think the viper pro's are a good choice? I can find 'cougar's or 'panther' for about 45-55 quid.

Personally haven't used them but they look good. Check around online and see if you can get any firsthand experience, but you should be fine from what I can see :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Abzzz57
Tbh £40 sounds like a lot to me especially for boots

It really isn't. It is very much on the low end.

Neither look particularly good, but I would get the best you can afford (and definitely NOT the first ones). For the parade evenings it probably doesn't matter what you get but you will get the opportunity to go away for camps, and then you will be wearing them all day every day, so you need something comfortable. Out of those two, the magnum would be my pick. The "assault boot" is a replica of a boot that was always made to be as cheap as possible. They really aren't all that.

What section is it? The uniform you wear may affect what style you are expected to wear. For Army, brown is the standard these days although we don't normally worry if they are black. I only wear AKU boots these days (AKU Pilgrim GTX), and though they are expensive, you may be able to win at ebay if you are lucky and find a cheap pair in your size.

Remember, if you get a nice comfortable boot that lasts a while, you don't have to stop wearing it when you leave the CCF. You can wear them for other outdoor activities.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending