The Student Room Group

Need help choosing sixth form

I have a choice between 3 sixth forms:

1) An OK sixth form which is part of a school I have attended for the past three years.

2) A very high achieving sixth form in a good area which is part of a school I know no one from.

3) A very high achieving sixth form in a rough area which is not part of a school, so most people attending don't know each other.

Which sixth form would you advise me to attend?

Do any of you regret moving (or not moving) to a different school for sixth form? Please share your experiences.
Original post by afio

1) An OK sixth form which is part of a school I have attended for the past three years.

2) A very high achieving sixth form in a good area which is part of a school I know no one from.

3) A very high achieving sixth form in a rough area which is not part of a school, so most people attending don't know each other.

Do any of you regret moving (or not moving) to a different school for sixth form? Please share your experiences.

hmmm quite interesting
Well i moved to a sixth form already part of a secondary skl and i knew no one. Its quite hard to make friends as some of the students are already in their own friend groups, but nonetheless i still made some friends.
HOWEVER, in sixth form everyones really in their own lane, its nothing like secondary school. For example i dont see my friends much, and if i am with them in a free, im mostly studying
its not how secondary skl was where i used to go bc i was excited to meet my friends, its more about the studying
The other people around me who arent exactly 'serious' candidates just chill with their friends
so basically sixth form isnt really about friends, and its only 2 years
Also, the reputation of the sixth form doesnt really help, because its all down to YOU and how you focus and participate in classes/extracurricular work
e.g i went to a sixth form that said it was quite reputable, but when im here now, the teaching isnt that good and there are some mess about students, most of the stuff i do is what i do at home revising
but that is my experience, maybe the ones you are talking about have much better standards :smile:
so, if you do option 1, you'll have your friends yes, but all you have to do is make sure to concentrate and work extra hard to not get distracted by them and be a little 'selfish; with your own time
if you do option 2, just remember its not about friends, but after a while you should be able to make friends-as long as the sixth form has good education
if u do option 3, just remember the area doesnt really mean anything. just because its in a rough area, doesnt mean the quality of education is unequal. Also seeing as no one would know each other, its a great chance to make friends because everyones in the same boots!
im leaning more towards 1 or 3
Good Luck!
Original post by afio

Number 2 sounds like the best option. Forget about not knowing anyone. College is about learning first and foremost.
I would go for two, it’s a good sixthform and u can meet a bunch of new people
Reply 4
Original post by sumsumz1
hmmm quite interesting
Well i moved to a sixth form already part of a secondary skl and i knew no one. Its quite hard to make friends as some of the students are already in their own friend groups, but nonetheless i still made some friends.
HOWEVER, in sixth form everyones really in their own lane, its nothing like secondary school. For example i dont see my friends much, and if i am with them in a free, im mostly studying
its not how secondary skl was where i used to go bc i was excited to meet my friends, its more about the studying
The other people around me who arent exactly 'serious' candidates just chill with their friends
so basically sixth form isnt really about friends, and its only 2 years
Also, the reputation of the sixth form doesnt really help, because its all down to YOU and how you focus and participate in classes/extracurricular work
e.g i went to a sixth form that said it was quite reputable, but when im here now, the teaching isnt that good and there are some mess about students, most of the stuff i do is what i do at home revising
but that is my experience, maybe the ones you are talking about have much better standards :smile:
so, if you do option 1, you'll have your friends yes, but all you have to do is make sure to concentrate and work extra hard to not get distracted by them and be a little 'selfish; with your own time
if you do option 2, just remember its not about friends, but after a while you should be able to make friends-as long as the sixth form has good education
if u do option 3, just remember the area doesnt really mean anything. just because its in a rough area, doesnt mean the quality of education is unequal. Also seeing as no one would know each other, its a great chance to make friends because everyones in the same boots!
im leaning more towards 1 or 3
Good Luck!

Thank you for your long response; it's helping me to consider aspects of sixth form which I didn't previously consider (behaviour etc.)
Reply 5
Original post by Gundabad(good)
Number 2 sounds like the best option. Forget about not knowing anyone. College is about learning first and foremost.

Thanks for replying. Number 2 does seem pretty good, but I'm going to wait until the open day to decide.
Reply 6
Original post by Geraldthegoat
I would go for two, it’s a good sixthform and u can meet a bunch of new people

After reading responses, I'm definitely thinking of going through with option 2, or maybe option 3. Thank you for responding.

Quick Reply

Latest