The Student Room Group

More competition for 2021 uni entry?

Will there be even more competition for 2021 entry as more people are taking gap years, resits and the current yr12 also applying?

I’m thinking about taking a gap year but I’m not the strongest applicant so I hope there won’t be too much competition.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by S1M001
Will there be even more competition for 2021 entry as more people are taking gap years, resits and the current yr12 also applying?

I’m thinking about taking a gap year but I’m not the strongest applicant so I hope there won’t be too much competition.

Universities won’t have places capped for 2021 entry so they can increase space to match demand.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Universities won’t have places capped for 2021 entry so they can increase space to match demand.

Thanks very much. A big relief!!!
Reply 3
Hi guys i was just wondering since so many year 13s missed their offers and are having them deferred while they do autumn exams Does this mean admissions for everyone else will be more competitive? Surely this will mean there are fewer places for current year 12s - Especially for the most competitive courses like medicine, law, oxbridge etc
And what about international students?
Yeah that’s what I feared
Original post by salviakasana03

hi there! are you saying that the number of international student will be low??

Wont be an issue for most students if at all.

More students ended up going to uni last year then normal, and the overall number of students in year 13 (this year & last year) is low compared to normal years so if anything for most courses it will be easier to get into uni.

The only exceptions may be medicine/veterinary and some Oxbridge college that had a surplus of candidates that got in due to CAGs and now have a few less spots then last year. (to combat this some colleges & unis are for 1 or 2 years taking slightly larger cohorts so no one is disadvantaged).
Original post by Mina Abdulkerim
hi there! are you saying that the number of international student will be low??

International student numbers are predicted to decrease making it easier for them to get in as unis want that international £££.
Original post by mnot
International student numbers are predicted to decrease making it easier for them to get in as unis want that international £££.

am an international student? is My chance normal as previous one or am gonna be the lucky?
I wonder how many (if any) universities will have kicked the bucket before the start of the next academic year. The country could do with a clear out.
am an international student? is My chance normal as previous one or am gonna be the lucky?

More then likely your chances of admission will be very similar to previous years, perhaps even ever so slightly easier (if their are less international applicants) their is more hysteria about it then their needs to be.
Original post by mnot
More then likely your chances of admission will be very similar to previous years, perhaps even ever so slightly easier (if their are less international applicants) their is more hysteria about it then their needs to be.

Good to hear.
Do you have an assumption or guess for predicting the numbers of international students for 2021?
You mean the number of internationals will drop or the number of EU applicants will drop?
Thanks!
Hi there. I am an international student and I’m applying to 2021 medicine. Does this mean I will be less likely to get a place because EU students are regarded as international students now? Thanks.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Christina2096
Hi there. I am an international student and I’m applying to 2021 medicine. Does this mean I will be less likely to get a place because EU students are regarded as international students now? Thanks.

what Eu students are regarded as international students?how?why?
what Eu students are regarded as international students?how?why?

Brexit
Brexit

But they will be considered home students during the first years of their uni and I think from the second year they were to be counted under international I think I saw it on reading uni’s website I’ll try to link it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending