The Student Room Group

Is this a good idea?

Basically I want a pet,I’ve done tons of research about it and I know pretty much most things I need to know.Today my friend told me a story of how she got her cat.She got the cat from a website met up with the person that’s selling her the cat and paid,she took it home and said to her mum “my friend is on holiday and she has no one to babysit the cat,so I’m doing if.” Her mum was okay about it,but about 3 months later when she eventually got used to the cat she said to my friend “where is the owner??” And my friend confessed and said it was a joke and she bought the cat herself.Because the mum and the cat are now pretty close she’s okay with the cat and decided to keep it even though she was abit iffy and the whole situation,the dad didn’t mind because he wanted a cat in the first place anyways.

Now,I’m thinking of doing that but I think I’m going to switch it up abit,I’m also going to do it when i get a part time job just in case my parents don’t want to look after the pet,it will be in 2-3 years time anyways,I think I’m going to adopt the pet with my friends mum,buy the things on my friends mums phone and pay her back,after that I’m going to go home and say to my mum “My friend went on hoilday so I’m baby sitting (the pet that i want) she gave me everything I need and she said she would pay me when she gets back!” She’ll probably freak out but yeah,after awhile I’m going to pretend to have a phone call with my “friend” and pretend that she can’t some back because her parents aren’t letting her. Would this be a good idea,I know this is foolish of me but it’s probably (is) the only way I could get it without getting my own house (because it’s a longggggg time for me to be legally an adult to get my own house,any opinions? Please don’t attack me,thanks.
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
I’m a fool but I’m determined and desperate. :broken:
Reply 3
Bumppppp
Reply 4
Bump. :bandit:
Reply 5
Bump,again.
Original post by Anonymous
Basically I want a pet,I’ve done tons of research about it and I know pretty much most things I need to know.Today my friend told me a story of how she got her cat.She got the cat from a website met up with the person that’s selling her the cat and paid,she took it home and said to her mum “my friend is on holiday and she has no one to babysit the cat,so I’m doing if.” Her mum was okay about it,but about 3 months later when she eventually got used to the cat she said to my friend “where is the owner??” And my friend confessed and said it was a joke and she bought the cat herself.Because the mum and the cat are now pretty close she’s okay with the cat and decided to keep it even though she was abit iffy and the whole situation,the dad didn’t mind because he wanted a cat in the first place anyways.

Now,I’m thinking of doing that but I think I’m going to switch it up abit,I’m also going to do it when i get a part time job just in case my parents don’t want to look after the pet,it will be in 2-3 years time anyways,I think I’m going to adopt the pet with my friends mum,buy the things on my friends mums phone and pay her back,after that I’m going to go home and say to my mum “My friend went on hoilday so I’m baby sitting (the pet that i want) she gave me everything I need and she said she would pay me when she gets back!” She’ll probably freak out but yeah,after awhile I’m going to pretend to have a phone call with my “friend” and pretend that she can’t some back because her parents aren’t letting her. Would this be a good idea,I know this is foolish of me but it’s probably (is) the only way I could get it without getting my own house (because it’s a longggggg time for me to be legally an adult to get my own house,any opinions? Please don’t attack me,thanks.

Essentially you’re going to lie to your parents about getting a pet. Theres lots of bad reasons to do this. Maybe you’re parents can’t afford a pet? Maybe they not up to the task of supporting a pet?

Couldn’t you volunteer at an animal shelter or something, I’d you want a pet that badly.
Reply 7
Essentially you’re going to lie to your parents about getting a pet. Theres lots of bad reasons to do this. Maybe you’re parents can’t afford a pet? Maybe they not up to the task of supporting a pet?

Couldn’t you volunteer at an animal shelter or something, I’d you want a pet that badly.

They can they just think they’re dirty,smelly and I’m not responsible enough and they think there’s no space in the house when there is plenty,we even have a decent sized garden. :colonhash: They think pets of all kinds are like that because they’ve had bad experiences with it only because they didn’t take care of it properly and possibly neglected the animal.
They can they just think they’re dirty,smelly and I’m not responsible enough and they think there’s no space in the house when there is plenty,we even have a decent sized garden. :colonhash: They think pets of all kinds are like that because they’ve had bad experiences with it only because they didn’t take care of it properly and possibly neglected the animal.

If they say no, then it’s no. They are your parents. Deal with it. Go volunteer at an animal shelter or go find a friend with a pet if you want a pet that badly.
what kind of pet are you thinking of getting?
No.
Don't lie or try to trick your parents into keeping a pet that they don't want in their home.
Doing so only risks making them angry and the animal being neglected or abandoned at an animal shelter.
Wait until you can afford a home of your own and all the cost involved in maintaining a pet.
Original post by dicotyledon
what kind of pet are you thinking of getting?

Guinea pigs or rabbits.
Original post by londonmyst
No.
Don't lie or try to trick your parents into keeping a pet that they don't want in their home.
Doing so only risks making them angry and the animal being neglected or abandoned at an animal shelter.
Wait until you can afford a home of your own and all the cost involved in maintaining a pet.

Okay.Thanks,But I’m tempted to do it when I get a part time job and saved up money.
Not gonna lie, that is really dumb... Please don't do it, it will only bring fights and sadness... and also smell. Your friend was very lucky. People bond pretty easily with cats, they aren't dirty, they cuddle but don't need much attention and time. But i want to see how someone unintentionally bonds with a guinea pig or a rabbit. You cannot even properly cuddle with them, rabits chew everything and they smell. You cannot let them run free in your house/garden because they would either just run away (fence is not really a problem for them) or make a mess by either messing stuff up or shi*ting everywhere. Cleaning cage for any animal is incredibely boring and smelly and you have to do it at least once a week, otherwise it will smell in the whole house. Please, take it from someone who lived with pets nearly whole life. We had rabbits, we have cats, we have a dog, we had parrots and we have mouse. I know people who have quinea pigs and they are not cuddly animals. Please, don't do it. Your parents will be angry and dissapoined that you lied to them and it will damadge you relationship with them. And the animal will suffer because you parents may decide that they simply don't want it and will just give it away or let it run free.
Reply 14
Okay.Thanks,But I’m tempted to do it when I get a part time job and saved up money.

It is not up to you to bring home an animal that they don't want. They have very valid reasons they have given you about not wanting a pet so you will have to wait until you get your own place.

If you are thinking of lying to them like that then you aren't responsible.
if they do not want the pet, do you expect them to look after it while you're at school, sick or at work when you get a part time job? it's not fair on the pet to be living in a household where it is mostly unwanted. work on convincing them, educating them instead of throwing them the responsibility of having a pet because even if you are the one looking after it, they will still have to deal with it sometimes. Prove to them that you are responsible enough and that having a pet isn't all that bad.
Original post by Catsarepurrfect
Not gonna lie, that is really dumb... Please don't do it, it will only bring fights and sadness... and also smell. Your friend was very lucky. People bond pretty easily with cats, they aren't dirty, they cuddle but don't need much attention and time. But i want to see how someone unintentionally bonds with a guinea pig or a rabbit. You cannot even properly cuddle with them, rabits chew everything and they smell. You cannot let them run free in your house/garden because they would either just run away (fence is not really a problem for them) or make a mess by either messing stuff up or shi*ting everywhere. Cleaning cage for any animal is incredibely boring and smelly and you have to do it at least once a week, otherwise it will smell in the whole house. Please, take it from someone who lived with pets nearly whole life. We had rabbits, we have cats, we have a dog, we had parrots and we have mouse. I know people who have quinea pigs and they are not cuddly animals. Please, don't do it. Your parents will be angry and dissapoined that you lied to them and it will damadge you relationship with them. And the animal will suffer because you parents may decide that they simply don't want it and will just give it away or let it run free.

We all ready have a bad relationship,thanks.
Ridiculous idea. There's nothing to stop your parents from making you give the animal away once they realise you've lied about everything, which is only going to upset you even more than not having a pet in the first place. If you truly cared about a potential pet you'd wait until you were living by yourself rather than let it experience separation, which can be traumatic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending