The Student Room Group

Have I failed?

I'm an junior artist

I'm always trying to do my best at work. I try to bring ideas to the team but when I do I always get ignored and all of the time they never take on board my ideas.

They just see me as the junior with no experience. They trust other people with more background experience

I'm continuing to suggest ideas, but sometimes I think...What is the point...of suggesting things when they don't really value me.

I take time during the evening planning on ideas, I don't just randomly think of ideas in the top of my head

I've made a fool out of myself, it just goes wrong for me all the time.

Any advice?
Ask them outright. "Why don't you take my ideas on board, what didn't you like about my initial ideas?", make them give you constructive feedback.

You are not a junior with no experience - you are a junior trying to get experience. No Feedback = No Experience.

You are valued, you are not a fool and you can be heard. Choose one of the team - hone in and ask your question.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Keep trying, and listening, you are still junior and that won't change without time passing, so be the best junior that you can be. If you can't be a junior, then how can you be a senior? So keep on going, don't give up, try your best to fulfil the role you have.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I'm an junior artist

I'm always trying to do my best at work. I try to bring ideas to the team but when I do I always get ignored and all of the time they never take on board my ideas.

They just see me as the junior with no experience. They trust other people with more background experience

I'm continuing to suggest ideas, but sometimes I think...What is the point...of suggesting things when they don't really value me.

I take time during the evening planning on ideas, I don't just randomly think of ideas in the top of my head

Any advice?

I can relate to how you feel about your situation. It sounds like you are trying your best and putting a lot of time and effort into bringing creative ideas to the team. Sometimes, however, it can be difficult to convince people with more experience to accept new perspectives from someone with less experience.

My advice would be to keep trying to find a way to get your ideas heard, and to focus on proving to your team that you can contribute significantly to the team. You mentioned taking time to plan and research your ideas. Maybe this is something you can leverage when proposing your ideas to the team, by showing them the work you’ve put into it. While it may take time, they may be more open to considering your suggestions then. Also, it may be helpful to work with other members of the team to hone your ideas and make them more successful, or to have the team try out one of your ideas as a test run.

Just remember that even though you are the junior artist now, it doesn’t mean you will always be that way. With time and consistency, you can prove to your team that you can be just as valuable as any other person on the team.

Good luck!
Original post by Anonymous
I'm an junior artist

Any advice?

I don’t think you’ve made a fool out of yourself :smile: just ask them why they didn’t take your ideas, find out what the reason is but definitely don’t put yourself down for contributing and don’t let it put you off of doing it again. Perhaps you asking them, will make them realise that they haven’t valued you as much as they should have. Sometimes people don’t even realise what they do and how they can affect others.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending