The Student Room Group

I'm failing...it is over...there's no going back

I suffer with quite bad mental health issues that have been affecting my university studies like depression, BDD etc

I am currently on week 5 of university (doing computer science), and guess what, I have hardly revised since university started. Each week takes roughly 40 hours to complete (10 hours for each module) and there are weekly assignments which contribute 1% to your final grade and I have been failing most of them

I have coursework due in, in a week which is worth 25% of your final mark and it's java related. As I have hardly revised I would need to catch up with 50 hours of revision in a week on top of all the other module work; I have no prior java knowledge which makes it even worse

And it's not even like 'just work in small chunks' because either I do no revision or like 6-10 hours as 30 minutes a day wouldn't be enough, I have heaps of hours to catch up on with deadlines

I just don't know what to do anymore, my family are so so upset with me and said if I fail they will kick me out of the house

what do I do?
Reply 1
I feel like it's gotten to a point where it is too late :/

My dream of getting a first class is over
you need to discuss your difficulties with your tutors & student reps. they will be able to suggest a suitable way forward. you may be able to defer a year due to your psychological problems.
Reply 3
Original post by the bear
you need to discuss your difficulties with your tutors & student reps. they will be able to suggest a suitable way forward. you may be able to defer a year due to your psychological problems.

My family won't let me defer a year
As I took a gap year already, promised them I would revise and didn't do anything, during my gap year is when my mental health issues got really bad
Reply 4
anyone please :frown:
First of all, if I was you I would do the coursework (25%) first. There are plenty of resources online for Java, you can specifically look at things you need to do for the assignment and it may not take as long as you think it would. Perhaps email your professors about your situation as they can provide help and extensions to anything. Get in touch with the uni mental health service and have you thought about going to the GP? I started my first year last year, I had to take a leave of absence because my mental health got unmanageable and wasn’t keeping up with the work. But there is still chance for you to get back on track, it might seem like a lot of work now but you say you do big study sessions, I do too. I also can’t set out a schedule for anything, so I do what I think needs to be done which people say isn’t the best way but otherwise I wouldn’t do anything because I would be too concerned over how to schedule things.

Also I don’t know if it’s the same for you, but for me the first 3 weeks the lectures weren’t that informative. Basically things you’ve done before and stuff. So not everything will be new to you hopefully, so that will help with the workload. Don’t focus on how much you need to do, just write down what lectures you’ve had the past X weeks and start from there.

You can message me if you ever need anyone to talk to or anything.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Paypurr
First of all, if I was you I would do the coursework (25%) first. There are plenty of resources online for Java, you can specifically look at things you need to do for the assignment and it may not take as long as you think it would. Perhaps email your professors about your situation as they can provide help and extensions to anything. Get in touch with the uni mental health service and have you thought about going to the GP? I started my first year last year, I had to take a leave of absence because my mental health got unmanageable and wasn’t keeping up with the work. But there is still chance for you to get back on track, it might seem like a lot of work now but you say you do big study sessions, I do too. I also can’t set out a schedule for anything, so I do what I think needs to be done which people say isn’t the best way but otherwise I wouldn’t do anything because I would be too concerned over how to schedule things.

Also I don’t know if it’s the same for you, but for me the first 3 weeks the lectures weren’t that informative. Basically things you’ve done before and stuff. So not everything will be new to you hopefully, so that will help with the workload. Don’t focus on how much you need to do, just write down what lectures you’ve had the past X weeks and start from there.

You can message me if you ever need anyone to talk to or anything.

unfortunaelty not, the java in the assignment is incredibly hard :frown:
Reply 7
Do you have evidence from your gp/doctor that you suffer from mental health issues?
I've struggled with mental health during my degree too and I've found that uni staff are generally really helpful and considerate :smile: I'd email the course coordinator for the module with the coursework and ask for an extension, and then see if you can find a peer/someone in a higher year/staff member to help you with the assignment. Is this your first year?
What do you have to do for it?
Original post by Anonymous
I suffer with quite bad mental health issues that have been affecting my university studies like depression, BDD etc

I am currently on week 5 of university (doing computer science), and guess what, I have hardly revised since university started. Each week takes roughly 40 hours to complete (10 hours for each module) and there are weekly assignments which contribute 1% to your final grade and I have been failing most of them

I have coursework due in, in a week which is worth 25% of your final mark and it's java related. As I have hardly revised I would need to catch up with 50 hours of revision in a week on top of all the other module work; I have no prior java knowledge which makes it even worse

And it's not even like 'just work in small chunks' because either I do no revision or like 6-10 hours as 30 minutes a day wouldn't be enough, I have heaps of hours to catch up on with deadlines

I just don't know what to do anymore, my family are so so upset with me and said if I fail they will kick me out of the house

what do I do?

It sounds to me like you are possibly in the wrong course since you are so unmotivated and demoralised by computer science.

You do need to tell your tutors academic and personal that you are struggling as they need to know the facts in order to be able to suggest solutions. Maybe it is not too late to transfer to a different course or maybe they could guarantee you a place on a different course starting in September. I would have a think about what it is you don’t like about your current course and what else you could do with your A level subjects. The uni staff will want to help you and support you so that you don’t feel so bad
Original post by Anonymous

what do I do?

You have options, and it's up to you to decide what will make you feel happiest (and healthiest).
1) Try to identify whether it's your mental health, disinterest in the course, or both which is stopping you from revising
2) Seek support from your lecturers and student support to get back on track re: workload etc.
3) You could see if you can transfer courses (either this academic year or next)

Does your first year count towards your final degree classification?
You just need to crack on and do it. It's a week of your life, put behind you that you haven't done anything but start now. You can do it. Don't let your mental health stop you from doing something you academically CAN do. Pick up your pen. Turn on your PC. Look at the question. And start writing.
Original post by harrysbar
It sounds to me like you are possibly in the wrong course since you are so unmotivated and demoralised by computer science.

You do need to tell your tutors academic and personal that you are struggling as they need to know the facts in order to be able to suggest solutions. Maybe it is not too late to transfer to a different course or maybe they could guarantee you a place on a different course starting in September. I would have a think about what it is you don’t like about your current course and what else you could do with your A level subjects. The uni staff will want to help you and support you so that you don’t feel so bad

It's probably not that he's unmotivated, but rather the education system has a way of beating any passion you once had for a subject and turn it into seething hatred. If universities just taught students the subjects they were interested in i.e. Computer Science realistically you only need to Know Basic Computer Skills, Basic Maths and Programming. Instead of tacking on 5 other useless modules, you have no interest in and you'll probably forget the following year, less students would hate University and the Education System in general.

It's why people prefer learning from Youtube and things like Udemy classes and CodeAcademy. They don't tack on the boring busy work, and it's not just a stream of technobabble lectures. Maybe the OP will like doing an apprenticeship better. Programming is fun, but not the way it's taught in schools
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending