The Student Room Group

I'm failing university and I don't know what to do

I'm a second year Computer Science student at a top Russell Group university, I went through first year mostly depressed and unable to do the required work and through cheating made it to second year.

I spent most of my first year depressed and stuck in my room, sleeping 12-14 hours a day. I hated university life, while everyone was out enjoying their time at uni I was stuck with the postgrads in my hall, who understandably, didn't want to go out and do stuff. My coursemates are your typical CS students who play video games, etc etc.

When the covid-19 pandemic hit I already dropped out but re-entered uni since the exams were going to be easy. When I moved home I got some mental health help and started getting better, The exams were open book + 24 hours so you barely had to study to pass and I bagged myself easy passes for all my exams, including the deferred first term ones. This didn't mean I understood or even learned the content however. I barely studied all year and was thrown a lifeline or miracle.

I don't know how to code very well or know the basics of discrete maths (I only need to do 3 or so lectures from first year to catch up however). I am struggling so hard on the content in second year since I just don't have good enough coding skills to do most of the coursework and don't even know how to approach most of the Qs.

I'm far behind on lecture content, even though I attend and go through the work, I'm not understanding it, even the ones which require no pre-requisite knowledge cos I have no resources to learn - the lecturer can't speak english well and hasn't given us a textbook/reading list or very descriptive slides. I've spent 6+ hours trying to go through his lecture and can't understand a single thing.

I don't want to do another set of open book exams cos then I'll have left no skills when I graduate and be in a worse position than when I started. I have no idea what to do, I was thinking about taking the year out and catching up on first year stuff and dodging the online uni experience or completely withdrawing & doing a different course.

I've gone from A*A*A in A levels to a complete failure at university, I don't have any extracirruculars or side projects to be competitive enough to even get into a summer internship and missed all my spring week applications for IB last year because of depression, despite pretty much an easy pass into them since I already had IB experience pre-university.

Even if I get an interview I won't be able to pass the coding or theory based tests. I've applied for all non tech but tech internships such as tech consulting or trading floor research.

I enjoy Computer Science but don't have any enthuasism or motivation to study since I'm angry, stressed and confused half the time.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
through cheating made it to second year.

Well the exams were technically allowed to be open book/24 hours but it honestly felt like cheating. It was too easy.
You will be fine, just do this:

1. Write notes and flash cards. Memorise your notes in summaries at a time. Memorise your nites but make it easy.

2. Get exercise, but not too much, just walk

3. Just stay in the library and keep studying non-stop.

4. Only have 8-9 hours sleep. Clear your mind completely. Just say "who cares about anything". That will hekp you sleep. Just clear your mind.

5. Keep studying. Avkid people who make fun of you, avoid stqff members who will be racist to you.

6. When you finish your examd, in your holidays, relax a lot by doing nothing, and then study half days.

7. Be polite. If students are stressed, avoid them. 80% of them are stressed for no reason at all.

8. Do not sleep all day, judt put your head down and study. Use coffee if you are just too tired

9. Go to GP if stressed, but never for meds, or only meds if things get bad. Meds usually screw students around and GPs giving dep meds usually are bad, as they tend to inform your uni behind your back sudde ly, or in a different manner usually.

----

You will succeed. exams is all about rote learning.

EDIT: Relax only in the hokiday between years. Never the academic holidays. Those are alwats only for studying.
(edited 3 years ago)
I'm a second year Computer Science student at a top Russell Group university, I went through first year mostly depressed and unable to do the required work and through cheating made it to second year.

I spent most of my first year depressed and stuck in my room, sleeping 12-14 hours a day. I hated university life, while everyone was out enjoying their time at uni I was stuck with the postgrads in my hall, who understandably, didn't want to go out and do stuff. My coursemates are your typical CS students who play video games, etc etc.

When the covid-19 pandemic hit I already dropped out but re-entered uni since the exams were going to be easy. When I moved home I got some mental health help and started getting better, The exams were open book + 24 hours so you barely had to study to pass and I bagged myself easy passes for all my exams, including the deferred first term ones. This didn't mean I understood or even learned the content however. I barely studied all year and was thrown a lifeline or miracle.

I don't know how to code very well or know the basics of discrete maths (I only need to do 3 or so lectures from first year to catch up however). I am struggling so hard on the content in second year since I just don't have good enough coding skills to do most of the coursework and don't even know how to approach most of the Qs.

I'm far behind on lecture content, even though I attend and go through the work, I'm not understanding it, even the ones which require no pre-requisite knowledge cos I have no resources to learn - the lecturer can't speak english well and hasn't given us a textbook/reading list or very descriptive slides. I've spent 6+ hours trying to go through his lecture and can't understand a single thing.

I don't want to do another set of open book exams cos then I'll have left no skills when I graduate and be in a worse position than when I started. I have no idea what to do, I was thinking about taking the year out and catching up on first year stuff and dodging the online uni experience or completely withdrawing & doing a different course.

I've gone from A*A*A in A levels to a complete failure at university, I don't have any extracirruculars or side projects to be competitive enough to even get into a summer internship and missed all my spring week applications for IB last year because of depression, despite pretty much an easy pass into them since I already had IB experience pre-university.

Even if I get an interview I won't be able to pass the coding or theory based tests. I've applied for all non tech but tech internships such as tech consulting or trading floor research.

I enjoy Computer Science but don't have any enthuasism or motivation to study since I'm angry, stressed and confused half the time.

@Anonymous #01

It sounds like you are having a really difficult time, but it is not too late to make a few changes. I had a lousy time on my degree (not at the University I am affiliated with now) and I kept getting a 48 - 56 on my assignments and I nearly quit, but in the end I got a 1st Class BA (Hons) Degree.

If you address the positives first - you are clearly aware of the areas where you need to develop (a lot of people lack self awareness, and this shows higher order thinking skills - typically at post graduate level). The negatives are the emotions that you are experiencing - which actually show that you are passionate to do well on your course.

I would suggest that the best course of action would be to speak to student services at your University and have a frank and honest conversation with them. I think it would be likely that the student support team would be able to help you with your assignments - a lot of the big universities have a support officer type role for each faculty. If you are experiencing anxiety they would likely offer the universities counselling services (although this may take sometime due to some universities having external providers deliver this).

I know nothing about computers, but it sounds like you are really passionate about your studies. Don't get too caught up in the bigger picture for now, and focus on dealing with each issue one at a time

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 4
Original post by Arden University
@Anonymous #01

It sounds like you are having a really difficult time, but it is not too late to make a few changes. I had a lousy time on my degree (not at the University I am affiliated with now) and I kept getting a 48 - 56 on my assignments and I nearly quit, but in the end I got a 1st Class BA (Hons) Degree.

I don't think I'll even pass at this rate
Sorry this is quite unrelated to your question but what a levels did you do?
Reply 6
Sorry this is quite unrelated to your question but what a levels did you do?

Econ History Maths

I assume you have tried to access counselling service at university? I also recommend going to Student Finance England for DSA support. They provided practical help with students with mental health difficulties, not just financial help.

Honestly, there are other students feeling like this. You’re not alone. You’re clearly a bright person but it seems your mental health is stopping you from progressing. If you’re genuinely interested in your course, don’t drop out. Take a year out called interruption in your studies if you prefer while you get help. Alternatively, ask to repeat the year. There are options but you need to ask for help and let the university know. Don’t ask, don’t get.
This may help:
1. SFE for Disability support
2. GP for support
3. Counselling services at university
4. Speak to personal tutor
5. Ask for interruption in studies (take a year out)
6. Ask to repeat the academic year (be wary for another year of tuition fees doing this but don’t let it put you off if it’s fully funded by SFE
7. Ask university for disability support- the depression you describe clearly is debilitating. You need that support right now, such as extensions to assessments etc.
8. Don’t give up if you still have an interest in your course. I gave up and then ended up returning 10 years later which is fine but I would have rather just got it done when I had the chance with just a year “interruption in studies” in between.
Reply 9
Eevrything you say about yourself shows you have the makings of a good student: conscientious, eschew easy grades, want to learn, etc. However you haven't hit your stride yet and Covid isn't making it any easier. I don't have any specific suggestions other than to say hang out with others who will, by their presence, give you a different perspective on what you are experiencing and that could be very important. Also gentle exercise -- I know it's boring but it really helps and when you're feeling down every little bit helps. A problem shared is a problem halved and all that, so it can be very useful.
Hey. I totally realte to this post. I’m a second year student at KCL doing combo sci and practically in the same boat. If you wanna chat feel free to pm me
If you’re genuinely interested in your course, don’t drop out. Take a year out called interruption in your studies if you prefer while you get help.

I was thinking about this, I can use it to catch up any work I missed/didn't study due to easier set of exams and miss the covid-19 experience of university.
Original post by Alstoo
Also gentle exercise -- I know it's boring but it really helps and when you're feeling down every little bit helps.

I used to go to the gym with my friends from halls but I don't have the time to spare with this much academic pressure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending