The Student Room Group

Criminology

Hi I am applying to do criminology at uni for 2021. The unis that I am looking at are Plymouth, Aberystwyth, de Montfort, derby, Portsmouth, Gloucestershire, Swansea and Leicester. Could anyone help me narrow them down to 5. Has anyone studied criminology at any of these unis and could tell me what it’s like?
No sorry! But I’m looking at Aberystwyth too for a different course! I looked at Gloucestershire too and am applying but it’s not my fav!!
Look at the course content in detail for each Uni - all the optional units and for all three years of each course.
All the courses will be different - what can you study at one Uni but not at another?
Are there any extras available - study abroad, work placement etc - these will add to your CV.

Find the Open Day or Campus Tour films on YouTube. What does each Uni look like, where do you think you would be happiest - small/big Uni, what sort of town/city?

What other people think abut these Unis wont tell you if you will enjoy the course or being at that Uni, so you do need to do the research yourself.

Also make sure you have chosen a range of grade requirements so that you will get some offers, and have a sensible Insurance choice. More advice here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Izzy.kw
Hi I am applying to do criminology at uni for 2021. The unis that I am looking at are Plymouth, Aberystwyth, de Montfort, derby, Portsmouth, Gloucestershire, Swansea and Leicester. Could anyone help me narrow them down to 5. Has anyone studied criminology at any of these unis and could tell me what it’s like?

Hi @Izzy.kw :hello:

I would highly recommend attending some Open Days/ Virtual Open Days for each of these universities. In this way, not only can you learn about the course but you can get more of a sense of what it would be like to study there too.

We recently did a post of why you should attend a Virtual Open day - you can read it here for more information if you are unsure how they work.

I hope this helps! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Melissa :biggrin:
Original post by Izzy.kw

Hi!

I study criminology at Portsmouth.
They've been really helpful and the lecturers are all invested into your learning. All of the modules I have chosen have been really interesting and they all have helped and given ideas about future career paths.
We have an virtual open day on the 31st October and the 28th of November, so feel free to sign up. You'll be able to speak to the lecturers and people who study the subject in more detail. You'll also be able to experience what student life is like in Portsmouth.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by Izzy.kw

Hi @Izzy.kw :hello:

You've got a great list of Uni's here!

I would recommend doing a bit of window shopping - look at websites, attend virtual open days wherever possible, chat to current students, ask questions and see which University's interest you (both in terms of location/student experience and the academic side).

Here are some things I considered when looking at Uni which might help you:

1. The course - you'll spend 3+ years doing this course, look at the compulsory modules, optional modules, teaching and assessment methods. Does it interest you? and suit your style of learning?
2. Location - where can you see yourself? a city uni or somewhere more rural? how about a campus based uni? under normal circumstances I would advise an Open Day but at the moment your best option is a Virtual Open Day/campus tour!
3. Employability - this is more important for some people/subjects than it is for others, what are the employment rates of the course/uni you're looking at after graduation?
4. Cost - some areas of the UK and Universities will inevitably have a higher cost of living than other areas - this doesn't affect everyone but I do always advise having a look!

I hope this helps, best of luck with your applications! :smile:

- Mia :h:
Original post by Izzy.kw

I think there has already been some good advice on here regarding courses and location. The problem with asking for this kind of advice is that one person's like is another's dislike. I dont know a great deal about some of these but here is what I do.

Plymouth is a seaside city. A reasonable size city. Dependant on where you are from it is quite South Westerly.

Aber is a very small place. Again it is on the West coast. Difficult to get to from most places. A really nice safe place but quite small but has a good reputation for things like. pubs. it is a campus university overlooking the sea.

De Montford I dont really know much about other than it is in quite a large city and the same applies to Leicester. Will be quite accessible to most just off the M1.

Derby again in the Midlands and again will a bit like Leicester but a smaller city.

Portsmouth is on the South coast. A decent sized city. Dependent on where you live it might be easy or more difficult to get to.

I think that Gloucestershire is based in a couple of places. I assume it is the Cheltenham campus you will be based. Again fairly easy to get to off the M5 and in the Midlands. Quite an expensive city.

Swansea is again quite West about 6 miles off the M4. There is direct train links with London and Manchester and links to most places through connections at Bristol or Cardiff. A fairly large city but not as big as Leicester.

I think it is really important for you to ask yourself how close or far from home you want to be and look at the ease of access through trains or car from where you live. Ask yourself how big or small place you want to be at and the kind of place.

It really is only you that can make a decision and you need to consider courses and location and decide from there. Nobody is going to have experience of all these universities to help you.
Hi @Izzy.kw,

I am currently a 3rd year Veterinary Biosciences student at Aberystwyth University and I am really enjoying my time here. Aberystwyth is a great place to be a student, there is a great feel to the town and there is always plenty to do and see. The University has a very friendly and welcoming feel and has even been named Welsh University of the Year for 2020 in The Sunday Times Good University Guide. The teaching quality is very high, The Sunday Times Good University Guide has been named the University of the Year in 2018 and 2019 for Teaching quality.

The town is well known for being a very safe place to live and has a very friendly atmosphere attracts many students here, including myself. Although Aberystwyth is a small town the nightlife is great, there a lot of pubs as well as cocktail bars and two clubs. It is very reasonably priced, especially when compared to a lot of the cities. There are lots of cafes and shops, as well as several supermarkets (Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, M&S and Iceland) that are all very accessible. There is plenty to do in the surrounding area as well with Snowdonia National Park on the doorstep and Birmingham, Cardiff and Shrewsbury are very accessible for a day trip.

Looking at the modules offered at each university is a really good way of comparing the courses to see which may interest you more. This is something I did when comparing universities when I applied and definitely helped me make my decision. It may also be worth looking at how each course is assessed, to compare which style of assessment may suit the way you work best. Rankings are definitely useful to look at, but it is also important to think about how the course is suited to your interests and what you are going to get out of it.

I would also recommend speaking to currents students about their experience at each university as well as current academic staff. This may help give you more of a feel of each university and help in your decision making. We have an interactive online open day coming up where you can have the opportunity to talk online to course lecturers, current students and admissions staff as well as take a panoramic tour of our campus and accommodation. You can register here if interested?

I hope this helps with your decision; I am happy to help with any further questions you may have 😊

Rebecca

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending