The Student Room Group

Dropping a Minor subject at University of Manchester

Hi everyone, so I'm in a pretty sticky situation right now because I somehow thought I could do a Flexible Honours in my first year. What did I realise? I was wrong. So very wrong.
So I'm doing English Literature at University of Manchester, and a Minor of Classical Literature. I then realised, like halfway through that the Minor just isn't for me. Turns out I can't drop it until the end of first year cause I need it to make up all 120 credits, so my question is should I just not try hard in this course since it's going to amount to null? Pretty sure I have exams this year too and also my brain is wired to always make my work and exams perfect, so it's a struggle psychologically anyways.
Well yeah, that's all, any advice is welcome, thanks x.
Reply 1
It doesn't amount to nothing. You need it to progress into 2nd year. Also, depending on your career route, they may want to know your grades for year 1.
Reply 2
Original post by Lairy_Fights
Hi everyone, so I'm in a pretty sticky situation right now because I somehow thought I could do a Flexible Honours in my first year. What did I realise? I was wrong. So very wrong.
So I'm doing English Literature at University of Manchester, and a Minor of Classical Literature. I then realised, like halfway through that the Minor just isn't for me. Turns out I can't drop it until the end of first year cause I need it to make up all 120 credits, so my question is should I just not try hard in this course since it's going to amount to null? Pretty sure I have exams this year too and also my brain is wired to always make my work and exams perfect, so it's a struggle psychologically anyways.
Well yeah, that's all, any advice is welcome, thanks x.

You need to find out whether, having completed your first year, you can then drop the minor component and then (presumably) move to single-honours English Literature for the second and third years. If you can do that, then you need to pass the Classical Literature components so you get the full 120 credits for the year. I imagine that the first-year results will still appear on your transcript, so you probably want to make sure those are as good as possible even if they don't count towards your final classification.

If you can't drop the Minor components after the first year and transfer onto the second year of a course that doesn't have that (I've have no idea of Manchester's course design), then you might want to consider whether it makes more sense for you to withdraw from the course sooner, and apply for a new course to start as a first year next September.

It's probably best to make an appointment to discuss your options with your personal tutor, as well as with a student advice service if Manchester have one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending