The Student Room Group

Will this ruin all my chances with women?

I was arrested by the UK Police for a fight in a pub. At the custody desk I told the custody sergeant that I was 'depressed' (hoping I'd get away with it by saying that)
However, I was released but now I have on my Police records that I am 'mentally ill' even tho I have not been diagnosed by a psychiatrist. Solely on the word of a Police officer. The Police Officer put on my records that I am a mentally ill person.

Would this Police label of me being 'mentally ill' effect my chances with women and impertiular a single mother I am getting close with?

Scroll to see replies

How is she going to find out?

If you care for her a lot, then tell her.

Good on you for fighting in the pub, bad on you for saying depressed.
Reply 2
Original post by Native087
How is she going to find out?

If you care for her a lot, then tell her.

Good on you for fighting in the pub, bad on you for saying depressed.

Feel like my life is ruined. Impertiular my love life
Get it removed
This... does not sound like it happened :tongue:
Which pub were you at? Not in England I expect if it happened.
Reply 6
Original post by Jakesmithyi
I was arrested by the UK Police for a fight in a pub. At the custody desk I told the custody sergeant that I was 'depressed' (hoping I'd get away with it by saying that)
However, I was released but now I have on my Police records that I am 'mentally ill' even tho I have not been diagnosed by a psychiatrist. Solely on the word of a Police officer. The Police Officer put on my records that I am a mentally ill person.

Would this Police label of me being 'mentally ill' effect my chances with women and impertiular a single mother I am getting close with?

how do you even know what's on your 'police records'? that's not how it works, lol
Reply 7
Original post by Ciel.
how do you even know what's on your 'police records'? that's not how it works, lol

Data subject access. That's how I found out.
Reply 8
Data subject access. That's how I found out.

right, they'll now totally broadcast that to the world
Reply 9
Original post by barnetlad
Which pub were you at? Not in England I expect if it happened.

It was in England.
...how is she even going to find out?
Those records are sealed I'm sure, besides, if the person knows you I would think that would matter more than a few words.
If it's gotten to the point that she's looking up your police records then she's probably not the one either way. :lol:
Original post by becausethenight
...how is she even going to find out?

In brief, parents are able to check up on who they're dating in much the same way as a PVG/Disclosure check, there's obv more to it, but yea, they can formally ask.
Original post by StriderHort
In brief, parents are able to check up on who they're dating in much the same way as a PVG/Disclosure check, there's obv more to it, but yea, they can formally ask.

I thought that was only limited to convictions for violence or child sexual offences? https://clearcheck.co.uk/can-i-do-a-dbs-check-on-my-partner/
I suppose a fight in a pub might qualify, but wouldn't they just disclose the fact that he was convicted (if OP even was, it's not clear) rather than all his notes?

So I'm.****ed.
She will think I'm a mad man who will randomly attack or something. Even tho I have never been diagnosed with mental health nor had/have it
Original post by becausethenight
I thought that was only limited to convictions for violence or child sexual offences? https://clearcheck.co.uk/can-i-do-a-dbs-check-on-my-partner/
I suppose a fight in a pub might qualify, but wouldn't they just disclose the fact that he was convicted (if OP even was, it's not clear) rather than all his notes?

Strictly anecdotally, i'm told it varies, police might be no help at all, police might essentially disclose things they don't need to. Like if a parent asks if a new partner has any offenses against children or partners it might come back no, but show they have a string of offences for carrying a knife or drugs or theft (or the local police may simply know them). Pretty much depending on the officer they might decide to make that known somehow. Much as employers can't officially give bad references... but they'll find a way.

I don't know much about the formal process, but I don't think the applicant gets handed a pile of case notes or anything. I think they more get told if there is something relevant to their concerns or not, but that's a guess.
So I'm.****ed.
She will think I'm a mad man who will randomly attack or something. Even tho I have never been diagnosed with mental health nor had/have it

Dunno, not that I think this actually happened, but if it was me i'd just come clean to my partner that I had a daft arrest in a pub fight i got caught up in but wasn't charged, better they hear my totally biased version that the police one frankly.

Police stations are one of those places you can't just throw around terms like depression and mental illness, they are under little obligation to let you back out and will often make the appropriate note and slap you on suicide watch (f-ing horrible)
Dunno, not that I think this actually happened, but if it was me i'd just come clean to my partner that I had a daft arrest in a pub fight i got caught up in but wasn't charged, better they hear my totally biased version that the police one frankly.

Police stations are one of those places you can't just throw around terms like depression and mental illness, they are under little obligation to let you back out and will often make the appropriate note and slap you on suicide watch (f-ing horrible)

I regret it
Strictly anecdotally, i'm told it varies, police might be no help at all, police might essentially disclose things they don't need to. Like if a parent asks if a new partner has any offenses against children or partners it might come back no, but show they have a string of offences for carrying a knife or drugs or theft (or the local police may simply know them). Pretty much depending on the officer they might decide to make that known somehow. Much as employers can't officially give bad references... but they'll find a way.

I don't know much about the formal process, but I don't think the applicant gets handed a pile of case notes or anything. I think they more get told if there is something relevant to their concerns or not, but that's a guess.

Makes sense, cheers :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending