The Student Room Group

Boyfriend wants to split our anniversary meal?

hi guys
I’m 22 and my bf is 25. I currently earn more mone than him but we are both on graduate jobs. It’s our 2 year anniversary next week and we are going to this fancy place in london. He asked me what i wanted and i said some makeup and these Designer earrings which were kind of pricey (£150)! I got him something if a similar value but more suited to his interests hehe.

He has said that he didn’t realise the restaurant was so expensive and that he may not be able to afford it (it’s 60pp) so asked if we could split. Obviously i don’t mind splitting meals but as this was our anniversary i’d think he was going to treat me on this special occasion. It’s not that i need him to pay desperately but if he did that would be really sweet and a kind gesture on this special occasion.

Am i overreacting for thinking he perhaps could have saved up a bit for this month or put some money aside for this? I’m obviously going to split the bill with him but part of me just assumed he’d be an old fashioned gentleman 😞

Scroll to see replies

It’s your anniversary, not your birthday that only means you should be treated. I think sharing the bill is appropriate.
Read what you wrote again and see if you can figure what the real problem here is
Erm it’s both of your anniversary. Why do you feel like you deserve to be treated more than him? It’s both of your special days. Not just yours.
Original post by Anonymous
hi guys
I’m 22 and my bf is 25. I currently earn more mone than him but we are both on graduate jobs. It’s our 2 year anniversary next week and we are going to this fancy place in london. He asked me what i wanted and i said some makeup and these Designer earrings which were kind of pricey (£150)! I got him something if a similar value but more suited to his interests hehe.

He has said that he didn’t realise the restaurant was so expensive and that he may not be able to afford it (it’s 60pp) so asked if we could split. Obviously i don’t mind splitting meals but as this was our anniversary i’d think he was going to treat me on this special occasion. It’s not that i need him to pay desperately but if he did that would be really sweet and a kind gesture on this special occasion.

Am i overreacting for thinking he perhaps could have saved up a bit for this month or put some money aside for this? I’m obviously going to split the bill with him but part of me just assumed he’d be an old fashioned gentleman 😞

Why are you on Anon?
Well personally, I expect the man to pay for it. So no I wouldn't even think about splitting the bill, but I'd find a boyfriend who shares the same values so it doesn't become an issue.
Well personally, I expect the man to pay for it. So no I wouldn't even think about splitting the bill, but I'd find a boyfriend who shares the same values so it doesn't become an issue.

Why does the man have to pay for it btw?

Why are you on Anon?
i don’t see the problem. it’s not just your anniversary, it’s also your boyfriends. if it was your birthday, i would understand. your overreacting.
(edited 3 years ago)
Obviously i don’t mind splitting meals but as this was our anniversary i’d think he was going to treat me on this special occasion.

Why should he treat you and not the other way around?

My feeling on this is that you should split the cost of the meal - both of you are in this relationship so both of you should pay. I can't see a reason why he should be paying more than you, especially since you earn more.
If it were your birthday I’d sympathise but an anniversary? He bought you a gift and you bought you a similarly priced gift for him, so why is the dinner any different? Plus you earn more than him? Baffling
Original post by Moonlight rain
Erm it’s both of your anniversary. Why do you feel like you deserve to be treated more than him? It’s both of your special days. Not just yours.

i don’t feel that i do but he knows my love languages and that is being spoiled - whether that be with words or affection etc. So i thought he’d pick up the bill
Original post by SuperiorPotato
Why does the man have to pay for it btw?

I'm rather old fashioned and prefer a man who is a provider.

why would he have to pay for it?

provider? it’s also his anniversary not just yours..
i don’t feel that i do but he knows my love languages and that is being spoiled - whether that be with words or affection etc. So i thought he’d pick up the bill

You’ve known your boyfriend for 2 years, how are u just finding out that he doesn’t want to do that
Anniversary is a mutual celebration of appreciation/ commemoration. Why do you expect that you should be the one that is treated better solely for being a girl? Perfectly valid for you both to split the bill. Doesn't make him any less of a gentleman.
(edited 3 years ago)

Sure, but isn't he providing you with a gift? It makes sense if you split it.
He gets you a gift, you get him a gift, you pay for half the meal, he pays for half the meal. Simples.
no

Original post by Moonlight rain
You’ve known your boyfriend for 2 years, how are u just finding out that he doesn’t want to do that

it’s always been a difficult subject for us. I’m not into stingy people who want to count money and split everything 50/50. It might work for some of you but for me that kind of person turns me off as i’m very giving with money. So when he’s mentioned ‘times that i said i’d pay and i didn’t’ it’s been really difficult to overcome that and that’s lead to some insecurity from me when he does want to split.
It's a shared occasion that celebrates what you have built together rather than a day where he should be expected to put in all the work to make it special for you. Splitting the bill for it sounds perfectly reasonable.

Latest

Trending

Trending