The Student Room Group

"Can't you hear me, S.O.S.?": TLG's PhD study blog!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Today's task: getting permissions for quotes I wanna use for the bit I'm writing up atm. So far everyone has agreed! :woo: There's one person I'm nervous about contacting, even though I'm fairly sure they'll give permission. They've a bit of a temper, so just don't wanna get on their wrong side :ninja:

I really need to get around to watching The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert at some point, given I'm writing loads about it but haven't watched it :getmecoat:

Do you have to ask permission because you say who said the quotes? In my discipline, if you anonymise/pseudoanonymise participants, you don't have to ask for consent again.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Do you have to ask permission because you say who said the quotes? In my discipline, if you anonymise/pseudoanonymise participants, you don't have to ask for consent again.

There aren't any hard/fast rules in my discipline - it's more to do with the fact that I asked it as a question on a Facebook group. I did mention that I'd be wanting to quote people but you never know if people read/understood that bit, unless you ask them again. So I think it's more ethically sound to just ask them again, to be sure :redface: Thankfully most people are responding favourably :yep:
There aren't any hard/fast rules in my discipline - it's more to do with the fact that I asked it as a question on a Facebook group. I did mention that I'd be wanting to quote people but you never know if people read/understood that bit, unless you ask them again. So I think it's more ethically sound to just ask them again, to be sure :redface: Thankfully most people are responding favourably :yep:

Ah yes, in that case it's definitely worth asking again. :smile:
Had my supervision meeting with LA supervisor on Fri (due to Thurs being Thanksgiving). Had only written a paragraph or two :getmecoat: Supervisor liked the paragraphs but questioned whether they would be better off in the overall thesis introduction :holmes: She's got a point tbh :colondollar: She said not to move it now but to just keep writing as best I can :redface:

I've given up on trying to set myself a deadline for getting this chapter written. I was hoping by/before Christmas but clearly that's not gonna happen. It'll get done in its own way at some point, hopefully! :moon:
That moment when LA supervisor is so nice to you that you start welling up and have to make a speedy exit before you cry on her :redface:
That moment when LA supervisor is so nice to you that you start welling up and have to make a speedy exit before you cry on her :redface:

:hugs:
Colour-coding parts of your chapter's Word document counts as thesis work, right peeps? Asking for a friend :ninja: :iiam: :flute:
Colour-coding parts of your chapter's Word document counts as thesis work, right peeps? Asking for a friend :ninja: :iiam: :flute:

Yep! :thumbsup:
Colour coding :danceboy:

Defo!!!!:u:

Progress is progress, if you’re one step ahead however small it’s one step closer to wearing a tudor hat & gown
Original post by Muttley79
Yep! :thumbsup:

Original post by laurawatt
Colour coding :danceboy:

Original post by Scotney
Defo!!!!:u:

Original post by mnot
Progress is progress, if you’re one step ahead however small it’s one step closer to wearing a tudor hat & gown

Thanks all :colondollar: :grouphugs: :h:

Hope things are OK with you all in the run-up to Christmas :grouphugs:
So colour-coding did work for me, eventually! Bashed out 500-odd words before my last supervision, and 1,200+ words yesterday :awesome: Not that they're good words but just trying to get **** down atm :redface:
So colour-coding did work for me, eventually! Bashed out 500-odd words before my last supervision, and 1,200+ words yesterday :awesome: Not that they're good words but just trying to get **** down atm :redface:

That's great TLG - keep going :hugs:
OK so apparently those 1,700-odd words were good words, according to LA supervisor :lolwut: Feeling very confused. Guess I'm not a good judge of my own work :colondollar:
OK so apparently those 1,700-odd words were good words, according to LA supervisor :lolwut: Feeling very confused. Guess I'm not a good judge of my own work :colondollar:

absolutely normal to be second guessing yourself at this stage. The trick is not to do it so much that it cripples you!
Original post by gjd800
absolutely normal to be second guessing yourself at this stage. The trick is not to do it so much that it cripples you!

Is sadly at the crippling stage/level, which is why LA supervisor insists on weekly meetings, to try and gently exorcise away Oxford/bad habit/self-doubt demons :redface:

Thanks for the encouragement! :hugs:
Is sadly at the crippling stage/level, which is why LA supervisor insists on weekly meetings, to try and gently exorcise away Oxford/bad habit/self-doubt demons :redface:

Thanks for the encouragement! :hugs:

you will get there. It's easy for me to say 'believe in yourself' but I also grapple with imposter syndrome fairly regularly, so I know it's way easier said than done!
Original post by gjd800
you will get there. It's easy for me to say 'believe in yourself' but I also grapple with imposter syndrome fairly regularly, so I know it's way easier said than done!

Thank you :redface: I just get frustrated with how slow I've been/I am. Sometimes it feels like I'll never submit :frown: I've been working 6 months solidly on this chapter and it still doesn't have a complete first draft :s-smilie: (Which is mostly my fault, coz I trashed my almost-complete draft at the eleventh hour, but shhhhh :ninja: )

Sorry that you (have to) grapple with these kinda feelings too :frown: It's such a shame how imposter syndrome is rife in academia. I'm just lucky that I have two supervisors who do their best to build me up :redface: I hope you have good mentors too? :smile:
Thank you :redface: I just get frustrated with how slow I've been/I am. Sometimes it feels like I'll never submit :frown: I've been working 6 months solidly on this chapter and it still doesn't have a complete first draft :s-smilie: (Which is mostly my fault, coz I trashed my almost-complete draft at the eleventh hour, but shhhhh :ninja: )

Sorry that you (have to) grapple with these kinda feelings too :frown: It's such a shame how imposter syndrome is rife in academia. I'm just lucky that I have two supervisors who do their best to build me up :redface: I hope you have good mentors too? :smile:

haha we've all been there with drafts!

Well, i did but I'm well done with the PhD thing so my situation is a bit different these days! The bloke running the course I'm doing now keeps telling me how impressive I am and it makes me cringe, but he writes me nice references so I guess it'll work out in the end haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending