The Student Room Group

I'm mentally ******ed. My IQ is 72. AMA

I have a part time job and go to university. I have intellectual disability disorder, ADHD and Bipolar. Ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Who told you that your IQ is 72?
Don't believe everything that the Internet tells you, especially in regards to IQ.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by glassalice
Who told you that your IQ is 72?
Don't believe everything that the Internet tells you, especially in regards to IQ.

I did it online many times and I got the same score
Original post by Anonymous

Online tests can't accurately measure IQ. Most only test spacial awareness anyway.

I assure you, that if you really had an IQ of 72, you wouldn't have been able to get into uni.

How did you receive you ADHD and Bipolar diagnoses?
(edited 3 years ago)
peter griffin move over

which website is this?
Actually some people with low IQs, are able to live relatively normal lives, hold low skilled jobs and use computers.
Don't you need 80 IQ to do most labour and physical jobs and 85 for the military? (I think this was found during US Military tests before Project 100,000) -- what job do you do and do you find it difficult?
Correcting myself now, an IQ of 72 would qualify as a 'borderline intellectual disability', not just a low IQ.
But an individual with it would likely be able to live independently.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Online tests can't accurately measure IQ. Most only test spacial awareness anyway.

I assure you, that if you really had an IQ of 72, you wouldn't have been able to get into uni.

How did you receive you ADHD and Bipolar diagnoses?

When I was 17 I was diagnosed by GP and Hospital and Psychologist
When I was 17 I was diagnosed by GP and Hospital and Psychologist

How do you cope with uni?
How do you cope with uni?

I am on medication. Otherwise I would have ended it
Frankly, you're not. Someone on the borderline of intellectual disability like this wouldn't be at uni. (such people would likely struggle to pass a few if any GCSEs) If you can get through on medication - any perceived "deficiencies" in cognition are probably down to the adhd/bipolar. (not a doctor tho so)

Online IQ tests do not mean anything. (also a pretty flawed measure)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 13

72 would put you as being classed as having a learning disability in some assessments. The fact you have a part time job and go to university means your IQ is certainly not 72. Use some common sense.

Online testing is not accurate. If you have issues then please be assessed correctly by the correct channels.
(edited 3 years ago)
I am on medication. Otherwise I would have ended it

Surely medication hasn't got rid of all of your symptoms (or maybe you've found medication that is very effective for you).
What coping mechanisms do you use?
What are you studying?
(edited 3 years ago)
Surely medication hasn't got rid of all of your symptoms (or maybe you've found medication that is very effective for you).
What coping mechanisms do you use?
What are you studying?

Yes I take multiple medications.

I do many things like sports (though not this year), meditation, music. Journaling helps too.

I study Maths at university. I am naturally good at Maths so that could be the reason I have managed
Original post by yeye21
which website is this?

does anyone know?
Yes I take multiple medications.

I do many things like sports (though not this year), meditation, music. Journaling helps too.

I study Maths at university. I am naturally good at Maths so that could be the reason I have managed

There's no way a mathematics student would have an IQ of 72. Ability in math is strongly correlated with performance IQ.

Did you get that score from a psychologist or was it from an online IQ test?
Original post by MalcolmX
There's no way a mathematics student would have an IQ of 72. Ability in math is strongly correlated with performance IQ.

Did you get that score from a psychologist or was it from an online IQ test?

Online IQ. I used 2 websites. Idk if they are accurate but I have a natural ability in Maths, however I am still stupid and I have ADHD and bipolar
Online IQ. I used 2 websites. Idk if they are accurate but I have a natural ability in Maths, however I am still stupid and I have ADHD and bipolar

The "I am stupid" bit is just a case of extreme self-deprecation, you clearly aren't and are clearly doing well for yourself despite those setbacks. It's easy to say but don't be so hard on yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending