The Student Room Group

deadline for firm and insurance choices

Hi, I got my last decision on Monday and at the top of my UCAS page it says I have until the 10th June to reply, but my friend has told me that hers says she needs to firm one of her options within 2 weeks?
Do I only have 2 weeks to reply?
Reliable UCAS info here : https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/types-offer/replying-your-ucas-undergraduate-offers

If you receive your last University decision on or before 20 May 2021, your reply date is 10 June 2021
If you receive your last University decision on or before 13 July 2021, your reply date is 14 July 2021
Original post by emma.x13
Hi, I got my last decision on Monday and at the top of my UCAS page it says I have until the 10th June to reply, but my friend has told me that hers says she needs to firm one of her options within 2 weeks?
Do I only have 2 weeks to reply?

Has your friend applied for any spring start (February or March) courses? They're the only courses that are permitted to ask applicants to make a decision before the UCAS deadline in June.
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Has your friend applied for any spring start (February or March) courses? They're the only courses that are permitted to ask applicants to make a decision before the UCAS deadline in June.

No, it's for the normal September 2021 course. I think it's something to do with Loughbrouogh or Bath because I have another friend who said the same thing and that he has to make a decision in two weeks, apparently, he said it's something to do with accommodation? But it doesn't really make sense, he also hasn't even received replies from all of his choices.
No, it's for the normal September 2021 course. I think it's something to do with Loughbrouogh or Bath because I have another friend who said the same thing and that he has to make a decision in two weeks, apparently, he said it's something to do with accommodation? But it doesn't really make sense, he also hasn't even received replies from all of his choices.

That's in breach of a university's contract with UCAS. Your friends should write to the senior management team member at the university concerned to query the deadline and should also report the breach to UCAS.

https://www.ucas.com/file/366691/download?token=5UycyRoa page 11 Business Rule #9
"9. Customers must not ask applicants to reply to offers before the normal reply date, regardless of when the offer was made, unless the course starts before 1 September. Requesting early replies in return for benefits (e.g. priority access to accommodation) is not permitted. Even where courses start before 1 September, providers must allow applicants a reasonable period of time to consider their options and respond."

Page 12
"Suspected non-compliance with the rules and principles can be notified to UCAS through [email protected]. Upon notification, UCAS will investigate and take any relevant action"
I suspect their UCAS reply deadline is the same as yours but some uni's are being naughty and trying to pressure them into rushing their choices with the veiled threat of 'missing out' on first choice accommodation. What a bunch of dorks. I agree with PQ, they should be reported.
Original post by Admit-One
I suspect their UCAS reply deadline is the same as yours but some uni's are being naughty and trying to pressure them into rushing their choices with the veiled threat of 'missing out' on first choice accommodation. What a bunch of dorks. I agree with PQ, they should be reported.

Yep

Even if it's for accommodation and not a "deadline" there's admissions principle #9 from UCAS too:
"9. Customers must not place undue pressure (i.e. that which is not in the applicant’s best interests) in order to directly or indirectly influence an applicant’s decision."
A 2 week deadline to firm is definitely NOT in an applicant's best interest. Especially when a university can just delay opening applications or allocation of accommodation until May/June
Kent have also been trying to pull this one - telling anyone they make an offer to that Kent accommodation is first-come-first-served and therefore they must apply for it right now. Many applicant have interpreted this as 'must go Firm right now', when actually they are not saying that at all and if you don't go Firm with them they will just take you off the housing list.

Shall we just wait to see what incentives Exeter are using this year - laptops, railcards, free pens?
Reply 8

Original post by PQ
That's in breach of a university's contract with UCAS. Your friends should write to the senior management team member at the university concerned to query the deadline and should also report the breach to UCAS.

https://www.ucas.com/file/366691/download?token=5UycyRoa page 11 Business Rule #9
"9. Customers must not ask applicants to reply to offers before the normal reply date, regardless of when the offer was made, unless the course starts before 1 September. Requesting early replies in return for benefits (e.g. priority access to accommodation) is not permitted. Even where courses start before 1 September, providers must allow applicants a reasonable period of time to consider their options and respond."

Page 12
"Suspected non-compliance with the rules and principles can be notified to UCAS through [email protected]. Upon notification, UCAS will investigate and take any relevant action"

Yeah, that is exactly what is happening.
I'll let my friend know about this.
Thank you!!
Yeah, that is exactly what is happening.
I'll let my friend know about this.
Thank you!!

No problem. Remember there is no point securing your preference of accommodation at a uni you would be less happy at. I encourage everyone to take as much time as possible to consider their offers and to engage with any offer holder activity is put on.
Reply 10
No problem. Remember there is no point securing your preference of accommodation at a uni you would be less happy at. I encourage everyone to take as much time as possible to consider their offers and to engage with any offer holder activity is put on.

Yes definitely!
I was planning to wait until about March/ April so that I can consider my options really carefully and then I panicked with this whole 2 week thing!
Reply 11

Bath and loughborough accommodation opens April/May
Original post by Anais..
Bath and loughborough accommodation opens April/May

Most Unis will start taking accom. applications at this point. They will email you when that process starts.

There is no need to panic/worry - and please, do not let accom. 'pressure' overwhelm everything else in the decision making!
TSR Guide to Firm and Insurance choices : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/firm-and-insurance-choices

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending