The Student Room Group

Your five top policies (if you were granted then)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Starship Trooper
I am far more concerned about what our government does than with what China and Russia do.

I don't agree with Facebook doing it either.

Who are these bad guys that you're so concerned with?

I have already stated why I want prostitution legalised. Nice womanly dig implying I'm desperate to have sex with hookers. I'm not, although I regret the time I wasted on hook ups when younger. But besides it doesn't matter one bit to my argument if I'm the biggest fat virgin basement dweller or a complete Chad with my own harem.

You didn't tell me why recognizing bitcoin is dangerous.

My dig wasn’t about you not being out to get laid. My dig was at you thinking prostitution would encourage women to Up their game and sexually empowered women would want to get paid for it.

as for who are these enemies?

https://www.cpni.gov.uk/espionage

The good old, bad old days of the Cold War are on again. And that’s not including hostile powers outside of the northern hemisphere and non state actors.
I am confusing nothing. It mandates equality of opportunity but this doesn't work and when it does not work will require equality of opportunity to 'fix' it .

I think it's wrong for the government to force people to hire or associate with people they don't want to.

Sure, if they were do inclined. If you were such a vital component to their business they wouldn't fire you would they?

How would it not be meritocratic?

The Equality Act says nothing about equality of outcome, though. If anything, equality of outcome would contradict the Equality Act. Can you name any laws that mandate equality of opportunity?

It would not be meritocratic for my employer to fire me because my sexuality has no relevance to my job. Whether I can do my job is totally independent of my sexuality. It would be equally anti-meritocratic if a would-be employer chose not to hire me solely because I am white and male.
Reply 22
1) make it legal to sue the government for negligence regarding the insufficient and misleading Brexit campaign.

2) amend the Children Law Act 1989 so that all fathers have automatic parental responsibility.

3) amend the Sexual Offences Act 2003 so that rape is defined by levels of harm and not use of body parts.

4) amend the Employments Rights Act 1996 so an employee can bring a claim after working one year.

5) make stronger incentivises for businesses to offer apprenticeships. double the government grant currently received by employers.
Original post by MatureStudent37
My dig wasn’t about you not being out to get laid. My dig was at you thinking prostitution would encourage women to Up their game and sexually empowered women would want to get paid for it.

as for who are these enemies?

https://www.cpni.gov.uk/espionage

The good old, bad old days of the Cold War are on again. And that’s not including hostile powers outside of the northern hemisphere and non state actors.

Why not?

I don't believe it is. Russia is not the USSR and China is the other side of the globe.

This is about an out of control security apparatus trying to justify itself and expand.

I read your link and nothing there troubles me.

I have spoken to lots of people here from the middle East and Africa who would greatly contend your assumption that the UK are the 'good guys'

I find it far more likely that releasing this info would reveal and humiliate some of the sickness infecting our society rather than lead to us being invaded by Russia or collapse our economy. Prince Andrew is the tip of the iceberg.

I fully support Snowden and Assange.
Original post by Kitten in boots
That's a rather circuitous way of informing everyone that you struggle with women.

(1) Someone obviously feels threatened by legalisation of prostitution :biggrin:

(2) Yet absurdly appears to have a prostitute for an avatar
Original post by SHallowvale
The Equality Act says nothing about equality of outcome, though. If anything, equality of outcome would contradict the Equality Act. Can you name any laws that mandate equality of opportunity?

It would not be meritocratic for my employer to fire me because my sexuality has no relevance to my job. Whether I can do my job is totally independent of my sexuality. It would be equally anti-meritocratic if a would-be employer chose not to hire me solely because I am white and male.

I presume you mean outcome in your last sentence? There are none (yet) . If equality of outcome went against the equality act then why is equality of outcome legal in some cases to a certain extent ? Eg labour women only shortlists (as the first example to come to mind)

Sure I agree with your second paragraph but I don't think it's meritocratic for the government to legislate this and impose this on businesses. If businesses do not want the best person for the job then why should we force them to?

Lastly if your boss doesn't like gay people all that's changed is that they now have to pretend that they don't mind you. I'd rather be in s business where I'm actually wanted rather than tolerated.

I think the government should stay out of business and am in favour of a small but strong state generally.
Why not?

I don't believe it is. Russia is not the USSR and China is the other side of the globe.

This is about an out of control security apparatus trying to justify itself and expand.

I read your link and nothing there troubles me.

I have spoken to lots of people here from the middle East and Africa who would greatly contend your assumption that the UK are the 'good guys'

I find it far more likely that releasing this info would reveal and humiliate some of the sickness infecting our society rather than lead to us being invaded by Russia or collapse our economy. Prince Andrew is the tip of the iceberg.

I fully support Snowden and Assange.

China is the other side of the world. But it also has one of the most prolific hostile foreign intelligence agency’s in terms world.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/05/uk-quietly-expelled-chinese-spies-who-posed-as-journalists

Russia however has been ramping up not only the rhetoric, but backing it up with action.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-sonic-boom-heard-over-23304945

Those are just samples of what’s out there. There’s more you could research yourself.

Both are quite adept at using fellow travellers and useful idiots to help their cause.

The sickness you deceive can easily be found out by simple research on the internet. Jeffrey Epstein was well known about before his downfall. He used his money and influence to intimidate.

the twi country’s I used as examples have been heavily involved in suppressing democracy’s. Murdering political dissidents and prosecuting minorities.
I presume you mean outcome in your last sentence? There are none (yet) . If equality of outcome went against the equality act then why is equality of outcome legal in some cases to a certain extent ? Eg labour women only shortlists (as the first example to come to mind)

Sure I agree with your second paragraph but I don't think it's meritocratic for the government to legislate this and impose this on businesses. If businesses do not want the best person for the job then why should we force them to?

Lastly if your boss doesn't like gay people all that's changed is that they now have to pretend that they don't mind you. I'd rather be in s business where I'm actually wanted rather than tolerated.

I think the government should stay out of business and am in favour of a small but strong state generally.

That was a typo, yes. If there aren't any laws mandating equality of outcome then why do you want to repeal the Equality Act? In the case of women only shortlists, this was a 'special' case that was made legal through it's own law. The law is due to expire in 2030.

Mandating that businesses hire 'the best person for the job' is by definition meritocratic; you'd be making them hire people based on merit, not on irrelevant factors such as sexuality. Would you not consider it wrong if you were turned down for a job because of, say, your skin colour or religion? How would it make you feel, knowing that you have all the skills and experiences necessary to do something but were rejected because of someone else's prejudice?

The Equality Act doesn't stop people from having prejudices, it just stops them acting upon them. My boss can tell me they dislike bisexual people, but what they can't do is fire me for it.
Original post by Justvisited
(1) Someone obviously feels threatened by legalisation of prostitution :biggrin:

You see a pair of boots on a woman and assume they are a prostitute?

Kid, you really need to stop jerking off to anime and spend less time on incel forums.
Original post by Justvisited

You might want to double check what that user was replying to, because it wasn't the legalisation of prostitution.
China is the other side of the world. But it also has one of the most prolific hostile foreign intelligence agency’s in terms world.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/05/uk-quietly-expelled-chinese-spies-who-posed-as-journalists

Russia however has been ramping up not only the rhetoric, but backing it up with action.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-sonic-boom-heard-over-23304945

Those are just samples of what’s out there. There’s more you could research yourself.

Both are quite adept at using fellow travellers and useful idiots to help their cause.

The sickness you deceive can easily be found out by simple research on the internet. Jeffrey Epstein was well known about before his downfall. He used his money and influence to intimidate.

the twi country’s I used as examples have been heavily involved in suppressing democracy’s. Murdering political dissidents and prosecuting minorities.

You didn't tell me we I was wrong about prostitution and it's impact on women, I'm curious. Also you still haven't said why we shouldn't recognise bitcoin.

Now onto China and Russia ...

How does releasing state secrets prevent us from removing Chinese spies?

Wow Russia flew a plane near us!!! Meanwhile we have military bases all around them which we'd promised to remove.

Jeffrey Epstein was BLATANTLY murdered in a cover up before he could give up his intel.

So what? What China and Russia do in their own country is none of our business. Also our own foreign policy is pretty unglamorous to say the least.
Original post by SHallowvale
That was a typo, yes. If there aren't any laws mandating equality of outcome then why do you want to repeal the Equality Act? In the case of women only shortlists, this was a 'special' case that was made legal through it's own law. The law is due to expire in 2030.

Mandating that businesses hire 'the best person for the job' is by definition meritocratic; you'd be making them hire people based on merit, not on irrelevant factors such as sexuality. Would you not consider it wrong if you were turned down for a job because of, say, your skin colour or religion? How would it make you feel, knowing that you have all the skills and experiences necessary to do something but were rejected because of someone else's prejudice?

The Equality Act doesn't stop people from having prejudices, it just stops them acting upon them. My boss can tell me they dislike bisexual people, but what they can't do is fire me for it.

Because I'm against equality of opportunity too as I said in an earlier post.

Funnily enough I applied to join the civil service once and they were only hiring BAME people. I think that the government as a monopoly should be meritocratic by law but that businesses as private entities should not be forced to be meritocratic by the government. I think people should have freedom of association- if a company only wishes to hire black people then more power to them and I probably wouldn't want to work there anyway.

As to how I'd feel, well that's life. I don't think the government has the right to intervene just because people's feelings get hurt.

Lol your boss absolutely cannot tell you that they don't like bisexual people lmao 🤣🤣🤣
You didn't tell me we I was wrong about prostitution and it's impact on women, I'm curious. Also you still haven't said why we shouldn't recognise bitcoin.

Now onto China and Russia ...

How does releasing state secrets prevent us from removing Chinese spies?

Wow Russia flew a plane near us!!! Meanwhile we have military bases all around them which we'd promised to remove.

Jeffrey Epstein was BLATANTLY murdered in a cover up before he could give up his intel.

So what? What China and Russia do in their own country is none of our business. Also our own foreign policy is pretty unglamorous to say the least.

We’ll start from the end. Russia and China can do what they want to in their own country. Snowden and assange however gave away details of information that this country uses to protects itself from country’s like China and Russia.

State secrets are state secrets for a reason. They can either show an enemy, potential or real, what you’re weaknesses are, but more importantly what your capability’s are.

I don’t know how old you are, or your understanding of history or the world. But I’ll give you an example, one of the forerunners of one of the organisations that Snowden leaked classified information about was a British organisation who’s for runner was based as Bletchley park. Bletchley park was a key component in defeating Nazi germany in WW2. It allowed twelve allies to read German codes. That information needed to be kept secret because had the Germans found out we were able to read their codes the the Germans would’ve just changed how they encrypted information. So server was its role than nobody who worked there spoke of its role from 1945 until it was finally made public in the late 70s

I’ve seen no reporting to indicate that Epstein was murdered. If he was, they did such a good job that they left no evidence. Remember that had somebody wanted to murder him, they’d have been easier and less risky to kill him outright rather than risk exposure by a highly risky murder made to look like suicide.

As for Bitcoin. It’s not banked by a central bank. The US $ is backed by the federal reserve. The is backed by the European Central Bank and the £ is backed by the Bank of England.

Should any of those currencies get into difficulties. The central banks are able to facilitate supper packages for those currency’s.

Bitcoin has no central bank backing it, which means that if there is an economic crisis like we saw in 2008, any investments in Bitcoin have the potential to become worthless. The fact that it isn’t backed by a central bank also means that it is now becoming the ore free method of money laundering and funding crime.
@MatureStudent37

I'm enjoying our chat but you forgot impact of prostitution on women , I know there's a lot to talk about do you can reply to that point here.
We’ll start from the end. Russia and China can do what they want to in their own country. Snowden and assange however gave away details of information that this country uses to protects itself from country’s like China and Russia.

State secrets are state secrets for a reason. They can either show an enemy, potential or real, what you’re weaknesses are, but more importantly what your capability’s are.

I don’t know how old you are, or your understanding of history or the world. But I’ll give you an example, one of the forerunners of one of the organisations that Snowden leaked classified information about was a British organisation who’s for runner was based as Bletchley park. Bletchley park was a key component in defeating Nazi germany in WW2. It allowed twelve allies to read German codes. That information needed to be kept secret because had the Germans found out we were able to read their codes the the Germans would’ve just changed how they encrypted information. So server was its role than nobody who worked there spoke of its role from 1945 until it was finally made public in the late 70s

I’ve seen no reporting to indicate that Epstein was murdered. If he was, they did such a good job that they left no evidence. Remember that had somebody wanted to murder him, they’d have been easier and less risky to kill him outright rather than risk exposure by a highly risky murder made to look like suicide.

As for Bitcoin. It’s not banked by a central bank. The US $ is backed by the federal reserve. The is backed by the European Central Bank and the £ is backed by the Bank of England.

Should any of those currencies get into difficulties. The central banks are able to facilitate supper packages for those currency’s.

Bitcoin has no central bank backing it, which means that if there is an economic crisis like we saw in 2008, any investments in Bitcoin have the potential to become worthless. The fact that it isn’t backed by a central bank also means that it is now becoming the ore free method of money laundering and funding crime.

Ok again, so what? We are not at war with Russia or China. Ok I'm glad you think Russia can do what if wants on its own country but do you not think we are intervening on their country as well as others?

The fact you have brought up the Nazis shows the weakness of your argument. Snowden did not release information to the third Reich. The cold war ended decades ago.

As for Epstein...

- just so happened his cell mate wasn't with him when he died
-Just so happened that video footage was lost of him when he died.
-just so happened that he had three fractures on his neck (which is a first by prison suicide)
-just so happened that his guards were asleep all shift
-Just so happened this was after he made a plea deal

Not to mention he was a high profile prisoner on a suicide ring. It's pretty much impossible to kill yourself there- the bedding and clothing is tailor made to be suicide proof. The only way would be to continuously jump head first on the floor which would require SAS level willpower and endurance

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/did-jeffrey-epstein-kill-himself-60-minutes-investigates-2020-01-05/

_------------

The beauty of bitcoin is precisely that it has no central bank and can't be bailed out by printing money. I'm not saying the UK should replace the pound with bitcoin.
@MatureStudent37

I'm enjoying our chat but you forgot impact of prostitution on women , I know there's a lot to talk about do you can reply to that point here.

Prostitution has been classed as the oldest profession in the world.

it’s been legalised and tolerated at numerous times in history. It’s also been vilified.

Generally when it’s been vilified and outlawed there’s been some religious aspect to it. The Americans introduced prohibition due to religious pressure. Prostitution was outlawed in the U.K. during the victorian
period. Firstly for moralistic reasons, but also as an attempt to reduce the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.

it takes political courage to legalise things like that though. You’d have religious organisations, feminists and every other pressure group coming out of the woodwork with political parties in opposition trying to make political capital out of the situation .
Prostitution has been classed as the oldest profession in the world.

it’s been legalised and tolerated at numerous times in history. It’s also been vilified.

Generally when it’s been vilified and outlawed there’s been some religious aspect to it. The Americans introduced prohibition due to religious pressure. Prostitution was outlawed in the U.K. during the victorian period. Firstly for moralistic reasons, but also as an attempt to reduce the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.

it takes political courage to legalise things like that though. You’d have religious organisations, feminists and every other pressure group coming out of the woodwork with political parties in opposition trying to make political capital out of the situation .

Eh... I dont see what the above has to to do with what you said :

my dig was at you thinking prostitution would encourage women to up their game and sexually empowered women would want to get paid for it

Implying I am wrong to think that. How am I? In fact I think your point shows that I'm right. Prostitution was criminalised during Vicotrian times which were famous for strict family values and chastity.
Eh... I dont see what the above has to to do with what you said :

Implying I am wrong to think that. How am I? In fact I think your point shows that I'm right. Prostitution was criminalised during Vicotrian times which were famous for strict family values and chastity.

Victorian times were also famous for urban poverty and the exploitation of children.

The worlds moved on since Victorian times though.
Reply 38
Which charlatans in particular?

If you wish to hang them you would need to legalise the death penalty first.

Gove, Johnson, Mogg, (Basically the ERG) and of course Farage the eternal enemy of the people, no matter which way you fall on Brexit.
I imagine this could fall within a special mechanism. Or failing that, a simple lynching.
It's a sort of grey area in the law eg brothels are illegal but prostitution isn't technically.

Drugs are more harmful than having consenting sex. I'm ambivalent on drug legislation personally though.

Its a fun series of contradictions it must be said.
One would contend that the fact drugs are illegal is the only bit that damages society (bar the odd mental breakdown)
Victorian times were also famous for urban poverty and the exploitation of children.

The worlds moved on since Victorian times though.

Which is irrelevant to my point. As you keep on dodging on this question I'll give you one last chance to show why I'm wrong.

It seems to me like your reflexive 'dig' at me was just to score good boy points for any women on the forum to show how enlightened you are without knowing why. Good luck with that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending