The Student Room Group

Staying obese?

Trigger warning for body image issues i think?

My BMI says im obese. Im 6ft 3 and weigh 107~kg. But the thing is i dont look fat, i dont look thin or atheltic either but still im just chubby. I dont feel unhealthy i dont particularly look unhealthy. I can run a fare distance, i try and make sure im physically as fit as possible without going too crazy about it. So, should i try to lose weight to lower my BMI or, so long as i dont gain any more weight, if i can maintain this weight or maybe lose a bit is that still healthy? Or should i do everything i can to lose enough weight to not be obese

Scroll to see replies

Do you know what your body fat percentage is? There are various ways of estimating it if you google. That may give you a better indication of whether or not you are healthy or need to lose weight.
(edited 3 years ago)
You can be healthy af and overweight, it still comes with risks.
Reply 3
In my opinion you should try to lose some weight to get into the healthy range, however I would recommend seeking a doctors advice first, being overweight as you grow older can have disastrous consequences on your joints and believe me that's not something that you want.
Original post by JaseyB
In my opinion you should try to lose some weight to get into the healthy range, however I would recommend seeking a doctors advice first, being overweight as you grow older can have disastrous consequences on your joints and believe me that's not something that you want.

BMI is largely a bullsh*t spectrum and isn’t good at accurately deciding what weight category someone belongs in.
6ft 3 is quite tall, so the likeliness is that you hold your weight very well.
I think really it’s your decision. You could have a low percentage of body fat which makes you look a lot slimmer for your weight.
And remember that BMI was a spectrum created by a mathematician who made it for old white men. It doesn’t apply very well to people of different ages, races, and genders. It also doesn’t work very well at all lol.
U could just have big bones... talk to ur GP and ask them if u need to lose weight...
But doing some extra exercise can’t do any harm!
Original post by cchloepx
I think really it’s your decision. You could have a low percentage of body fat which makes you look a lot slimmer for your weight.
And remember that BMI was a spectrum created by a mathematician who made it for old white men. It doesn’t apply very well to people of different ages, races, and genders. It also doesn’t work very well at all lol.

Incorrect, it has been adjusted for, accounting for people of different races and genders.
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Incorrect, it has been adjusted for, accounting for people of different races and genders.

Not very well lol. It’s an outdated system that really shouldn’t be used. Doesn’t take into account body fat percentage or the amount you exercise very well.
Not very well lol. It’s an outdated system that really shouldn’t be used. Doesn’t take into account body fat percentage or the amount you exercise very well.

Especially if ur pregnant or a muscly athlete 😂

How does someone’s gender affect their weight?

Because its not supposed to???? Its used as a risk factor, if we took 2 people, who exercise the same amount, same gender, same age, same body fat% but one had a bmi in the obese range while the other had a bmi in the normal range, the obese person would still have a higher risk of getting a disease associated with obesity.
Original post by jackmarshal757
How does someone’s gender affect their weight?

Did u knwo that women have boobs?
BMI is based on averages and isn't accurate for everyone. It's mainly used by doctors as a predictor for possible health issues, but if you don't have any issues and have a high BMI, thats an okay thing.
Original post by 64Lightbulbs
BMI is based on averages and isn't accurate for everyone. It's mainly used by doctors as a predictor for possible health issues, but if you don't have any issues and have a high BMI, thats an okay thing.

Not really, its lifetime exposure, people aren't getting heart attacks and diabetes the moment they are classified as obese.
lose some weight tubs, doesnt matter how you "look"

(Not necessarily) bc u could have a high bmi and u currently don’t have any issues...

Having a high mass, high bp, high cholesterol, poor diet, low level of activity/exercise are all risk factors!

Talking to ur GP is the best idea... :smile:
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Not really, its lifetime exposure, people aren't getting heart attacks and diabetes the moment they are classified as obese.

and they said they feel fine, so unless you're they're GP you have no right to diagnose them. Having a high BMI increases risk, there are thinks you can do to decrease risk too, and unless they are experiencing an issue right now (heart attacks and diabetes have signs and your doctor will see them if you ever get a blood test) they don't need to worry about it.
and they said they feel fine, so unless you're they're GP you have no right to diagnose them. Having a high BMI increases risk, there are thinks you can do to decrease risk too, and unless they are experiencing an issue right now (heart attacks and diabetes have signs and your doctor will see them if you ever get a blood test) they don't need to worry about it.

When did I ever diagnose them? Do you really think that staying 107kg is the best course of action for the persons health?
Original post by Anonymous
(Not necessarily) bc u could have a high bmi and u currently don’t have any issues...

Having a high mass, high bp, high cholesterol, poor diet, low level of activity/exercise are all risk factors!

Talking to ur GP is the best idea... :smile:

I think we agree idk why you quoted me

Quick Reply

Latest