The Student Room Group

Unis in adjustment last year

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ten-Ten
I get your points and I’m not getting hung up, I just want something to look forward to rather than the idea of just being stuck with what I have

I'd say 100,000 people getting a place in clearing is a lot more promising than 600 people getting placed in adjustment personally.

Clearing isn't a dirty word.

So if I do get higher grades I can apply through clearing as well? I was told that it was for those who got lower than expected
Original post by Ten-Ten
So if I do get higher grades I can apply through clearing as well? I was told that it was for those who got lower than expected

Of course you can.
Clearing is just a way to match students who don't have a place (or don't have a place they're happy with) with universities with vacancies. It's not the bargain bin it used to be back when places were strictly capped by the government. And this year universities are dealing with reduced international recruitment due to covid/brexit (and the London universities have all just had £5m knocked off their teaching grant this month) so they're likely to be looking to increase intake in areas that can recruit.

And you don't have to wait either - if KCL or Notts are still showing vacancies for your course and you don't get an offer you like then you can decline your offers and apply to one of them using Extra.
Original post by PQ
Of course you can.
Clearing is just a way to match students who don't have a place (or don't have a place they're happy with) with universities with vacancies. It's not the bargain bin it used to be back when places were strictly capped by the government. And this year universities are dealing with reduced international recruitment due to covid/brexit (and the London universities have all just had £5m knocked off their teaching grant this month) so they're likely to be looking to increase intake in areas that can recruit.

And you don't have to wait either - if KCL or Notts are still showing vacancies for your course and you don't get an offer you like then you can decline your offers and apply to one of them using Extra.

Ohhhhh, that makes sense

I would apply but rn I don’t have the grades
Original post by Ten-Ten
Ohhhhh, that makes sense

I would apply but rn I don’t have the grades

If you think you could get the grades then it’s worth a conversation with them about applying through extra
Original post by PQ
If you think you could get the grades then it’s worth a conversation with them about applying through extra

True but if I don’t then I’m left with no backup as my insurance would be gone
Reply 66
Original post by Ten-Ten
I believe Birmingham was because of my gcse English language. I thought that because I was eligible for a reduced offer due to completing their summer school that I would be fine but nope. And I haven’t been rejected from Queen Mary yet but I feel like I will as they wanted AAA and my predicted is ABB, I tried to get it changed to AAB but that’s a long story

Oh okay that’s annoying! I wanted to apply to Queen Mary’s and I’ve seen threads on it and they will probably give you an offer , I wanted to apply but I’m predicted AAB and I know that I won’t get AAA so I didn’t apply
Original post by Ten-Ten
True but if I don’t then I’m left with no backup as my insurance would be gone

Those universities will almost certainly be in clearing.

There’s no harm in having the conversations.

Over 40% of people accepted by their firm choice miss their predicted grades by 2 or more grades. It’s sensible to aim high but also have a selection of more reliable backups that you like to look at in clearing if need be.
Original post by Tashax2
Oh okay that’s annoying! I wanted to apply to Queen Mary’s and I’ve seen threads on it and they will probably give you an offer , I wanted to apply but I’m predicted AAB and I know that I won’t get AAA so I didn’t apply

Many university's accept lower than their published grades. They tend to do that far more than ignoring GCSE Maths grades. You could look somewhere for AAA. They will offer you AAA but will often accept AAB or ABB. Business isnt a particularly competitive course so there is a chance and even if you dont you have clearing. You are far more likely to get in that way than adjustment. Have a list of likely clearing universities in case things go wrong. There are likely to be many options as this year EC students wont be coming in the same numbers due to us no longer being in the EC.
Reply 69
Original post by swanseajack1
Many university's accept lower than their published grades. They tend to do that far more than ignoring GCSE Maths grades. You could look somewhere for AAA. They will offer you AAA but will often accept AAB or ABB. Business isnt a particularly competitive course so there is a chance and even if you dont you have clearing. You are far more likely to get in that way than adjustment. Have a list of likely clearing universities in case things go wrong. There are likely to be many options as this year EC students wont be coming in the same numbers due to us no longer being in the EC.

I’m not sure if it’s worth taking the risk though! Especially as I’ll probs get ABB or A*BB

I’m currently looking at vacancies on extra but all the unis need a grade 6 in maths which I don’t have so I’ll probably be sticking to my offers
Reply 70
I was
Original post by Tashax2
I’m not sure if it’s worth taking the risk though! Especially as I’ll probs get ABB or A*BB

I’m currently looking at vacancies on extra but all the unis need a grade 6 in maths which I don’t have so I’ll probably be sticking to my offers

I was thinking of a foundation year but I’m not sure if it’s worth using that year of funding when I do hold offers to a few unis that I do like
Original post by Tashax2

Yeah and even though it would be nice to go Queen Mary, they don’t offer a placement year which I really want to do
Original post by PQ
Those universities will almost certainly be in clearing.

There’s no harm in having the conversations.

Over 40% of people accepted by their firm choice miss their predicted grades by 2 or more grades. It’s sensible to aim high but also have a selection of more reliable backups that you like to look at in clearing if need be.

Yeah they are different from each other. Kings want A*AA, UCL want AAA and Nottingham want AAB. I’ll probably look for more tho
Reply 73
Original post by Ten-Ten
Yeah and even though it would be nice to go Queen Mary, they don’t offer a placement year which I really want to do

Oh that’s annoying ! Yeah I wws thinking maybe do a foundation year but then I can’t do a placement ! Is there any reason why you don’t like the unis you have applied to ?
Original post by Tashax2
Oh that’s annoying ! Yeah I wws thinking maybe do a foundation year but then I can’t do a placement ! Is there any reason why you don’t like the unis you have applied to ?

With Southampton and Royal Holloway I don’t like the modules that they offer. With Kent my dad wanted me to choose finance and investment for one of my courses and I really don’t want to study that. And I’m not interested in going to kent, it’s just meant to be an insurance
Reply 75
Original post by Ten-Ten
With Southampton and Royal Holloway I don’t like the modules that they offer. With Kent my dad wanted me to choose finance and investment for one of my courses and I really don’t want to study that. And I’m not interested in going to kent, it’s just meant to be an insurance

Ohhh okah yeah I see why you want to change ! I applied to York and even though it’s a good uni and they offered lower grades I won’t go cause the modules are so boring in my opinion. Have you looked at changing to another course at the uni ? I did that.
Original post by Tashax2
Ohhh okah yeah I see why you want to change ! I applied to York and even though it’s a good uni and they offered lower grades I won’t go cause the modules are so boring in my opinion. Have you looked at changing to another course at the uni ? I did that.

Original post by Ten-Ten

What course do you want to study. Does it have to be in London.What are your predicted grades and What grades did you get in English and Maths at GCSE
Reply 77
What course do you want to study. Does it have to be in London.What are your predicted grades and What grades did you get in English and Maths at GCSE

Are you talking to me or ten ten?

I want to study business management. My parents want it to be in London but I don’t particularly care where it is, but since the household income is quite high (I don’t exactly know what it is) it’s probably better to stay in London as the student loan is higher. My predicted grade is ABB and in gcse maths I got 7, English language 4 and 5 in literature. Eventhough literature hardly seems to count for anything
Original post by Tashax2
Are you talking to me or ten ten?

Probably both of us

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending