The Student Room Group

Braces life hacks

Spam me with your braces life hacks as I get braces in a couple of days tehe 🙃

Scroll to see replies

Take some ibuprofen before each appointment and have some soft foods like soup etc ready for after. Follow the rules and clean them well. It doesn't hurt to check in the mirror that they're clean after each meal. Wear your retainer!
Reply 2
Original post by VeritySleeps
Take some ibuprofen before each appointment and have some soft foods like soup etc ready for after. Follow the rules and clean them well. It doesn't hurt to check in the mirror that they're clean after each meal. Wear your retainer!

Ty 😊. Does it hurt to have them put on?
Reply 3
It hurts the most the first time... and when you get it tightened. I got used to it, after a while it doesn't hurt much, but that might be coz i have a higher pain tolerance.
make sure you use the wax stuff that you get given, the wires can get very sharp and dig into your gum. and getting them on isnt painful its tightening them and sleeping with them can be kina painful imo, and make sure you stick to soft food.
Original post by Anonymous
Ty 😊. Does it hurt to have them put on?

No, the glue tastes a bit funny but putting them on shouldn't hurt unless you need a tooth removed etc. Once they're on or they get tightened, you might have a bit of achey-ness/soreness
Spam me with your braces life hacks as I get braces in a couple of days tehe 🙃

If you like gum, after a few weeks, definitely try chewing it, and test whether it gets stuck. Because I'm telling you, it doesn't. I have braces, and spent a whole year rejecting offers on gum, simply because of my braces, until I tested whether or not it gets stuck: it doesn't. Unfortunately, eclairs and other toffees do :frown:. I still ate the eclairs (I love them :smile:), but unless you're careful it could get stuck. I haven't had any problems with my braces though - they're clean and haven't broken. :smile:
Reply 7
So so far I’ve got:
1. Take ibuprofen
2. Soft foods
3. Follow the rules
4. Wear your retainer when you finish with braces
5. Use wax
6. Glue may taste weird
7. Test gum
If you like gum, after a few weeks, definitely try chewing it, and test whether it gets stuck. Because I'm telling you, it doesn't. I have braces, and spent a whole year rejecting offers on gum, simply because of my braces, until I tested whether or not it gets stuck: it doesn't. Unfortunately, eclairs and other toffees do :frown:. I still ate the eclairs (I love them :smile:), but unless you're careful it could get stuck. I haven't had any problems with my braces though - they're clean and haven't broken. :smile:

No, the glue tastes a bit funny but putting them on shouldn't hurt unless you need a tooth removed etc. Once they're on or they get tightened, you might have a bit of achey-ness/soreness

Original post by Spencer5567
make sure you use the wax stuff that you get given, the wires can get very sharp and dig into your gum. and getting them on isnt painful its tightening them and sleeping with them can be kina painful imo, and make sure you stick to soft food.

Original post by mkim123
It hurts the most the first time... and when you get it tightened. I got used to it, after a while it doesn't hurt much, but that might be coz i have a higher pain tolerance.

take before / progress pics ! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by tabby470

Ty 😉
Don't choose colours like green or yellow. Obviously you can if you want but i found that w the green (i didnt ever choose yellow as i had already been told that it makes ur teeth appear yellow) people were always asking me if i had stuff stuck in my teeth :frown:. I have heard that clear/white gets stained easily with food and turns yellow. All of the other colours are great though.
Original post by something_orphic
Don't choose colours like green or yellow. Obviously you can if you want but i found that w the green (i didnt ever choose yellow as i had already been told that it makes ur teeth appear yellow) people were always asking me if i had stuff stuck in my teeth :frown:. I have heard that clear/white gets stained easily with food and turns yellow. All of the other colours are great though.

adding on to this, I'd recommend getting black, it makes your teeth look wayyyyy whiter in comparison
This one might be unpopular but actually brush your teeth after every meal - staining after having braces is very common and will look something like this

Spoiler

Also follow everything your orthodontist says and don’t skip anything out because it will hinder your progress and take longer to get them out! I had lots of friends who didn’t wear their elastic bands for example, and it took a lot longer for them to finish treatment.
Even though it will kill, try to brush the middle teeth and the top and bottom, I tried to but it was painful and now have tartar
Original post by alevel20203
Even though it will kill, try to brush the middle teeth and the top and bottom, I tried to but it was painful and now have tartar

Under the bracket?
Under the bracket?

No i mean on the inside of your teeth, around the gum line gathers loads of plaque which you need to brush
Don’t eat whole apples, nightmare to deal with. Mostly they are just a nuisance.
Original post by mnot
Don’t eat whole apples, nightmare to deal with. Mostly they are just a nuisance.

Or those Rice cake things. I once ate some rice cakes and they made my bracket come off.
Original post by mnot

Original post by alevel20203
No i mean on the inside of your teeth, around the gum line gathers loads of plaque which you need to brush

Original post by Chopinnocturne31
This one might be unpopular but actually brush your teeth after every meal - staining after having braces is very common and will look something like this

Spoiler

Also follow everything your orthodontist says and don’t skip anything out because it will hinder your progress and take longer to get them out! I had lots of friends who didn’t wear their elastic bands for example, and it took a lot longer for them to finish treatment.

Original post by nm12345
adding on to this, I'd recommend getting black, it makes your teeth look wayyyyy whiter in comparison

What colours do you think?

Original post by mkim123

Original post by Spencer5567

Original post by tabby470

What colours do you think?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending