The Student Room Group

Study Medicine in Europe

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to apply to study Medicine , taught in English in Western Europe. I am wondering if anyone has experience of application, studying and cost and would recommend any agencies?
I'm currently a Pharmacist and want to study Medicine as an Undergraduate.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sn+4Fe+2
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to apply to study Medicine , taught in English in Western Europe. I am wondering if anyone has experience of application, studying and cost and would recommend any agencies?

Hiya! Good luck with your application :biggrin: I'm only looking into unis in Eastern Europe so I can't say much about the West - but I'm using SME and would recommend them for anyone looking for an agency :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by emmadreamer03
Hiya! Good luck with your application :biggrin: I'm only looking into unis in Eastern Europe so I can't say much about the West - but I'm using SME and would recommend them for anyone looking for an agency :smile:

Do you know of any UK schools offering tuition for the IMAT exam?
When you say 'Eastern Europe' do you mean Romania?
Could you give me the full name of SME?
Haha so many questions!
Thanks
T.T.
Original post by TinyTim
Do you know of any UK schools offering tuition for the IMAT exam?
When you say 'Eastern Europe' do you mean Romania?
Could you give me the full name of SME?
Haha so many questions!
Thanks
T.T.

Hey! So I don't really know much about the IMAT but I'm sure there's lots of places they offer study help and all that. No by Eastern Europe I mean Bulgaria, I'm applying in Sofia, Plovdiv and Trakia. So SME stands for Study Medicine Europe - most people on here seem to use the shorter version because it's way easier to type haha. Basically they're the agency I went through, and they have plenty of different unis that they partner with. It's worth checking out
Reply 4

Hi Emma,

Have you researched any of the Western Medical schools? I've looked into a few but am not sure which would be taught in English and would allow GMC registration in the UK. It seems the tution fees are >€11,000 per year, which would be difficult to finance.
Well actually that's exactly why I haven't been looking at unis in Western Europe - in Eastern Europe the tuition fees are much cheaper and there are definitely courses taught in English (and quite well it seems!). I've been looking into Bulgaria and their average tuition fees are about 6,000-7,000 depending on the uni which is way more affordable.
Tbh it's important to factor in the agency fee too. I'm applying through SME which is 4,000 pounds but it still ends up being way cheaper since that is only a one time fee. The other agencies are supposedly cheaper but I'm really happy with the service I'm getting so far
Tbh it's important to factor in the agency fee too. I'm applying through SME which is 4,000 pounds but it still ends up being way cheaper since that is only a one time fee. The other agencies are supposedly cheaper but I'm really happy with the service I'm getting so far

Do they have clinical rotations in Manchester
Original post by evajones023
Hey there! I'm at Sofia MU in Bulgaria and the yearly fees are 8000EUR so it is a bit cheaper than in western Europe. Like Emmadreamer03 I also went through SME so that could be another cost to account for :smile: It is GMC accredited (otherwise I wouldn't be here!) and everything is taught in English. hope that helps!

Quick question - the course is in English, but how do you talk to patients? Or nurses and other hospital staff - do all the doctors speak English?
Original post by Nadiaziz
Do they have clinical rotations in Manchester

Hey! I think evajones basically answered coz I know she went through SME too. I don't remember the exact locations but I think Essex was one of them?
Hello, I’m a year 13 student at the moment and I’ve been looking at studying medicine in Eastern Europe. I’ve applied to some unis this year but due to not doing as well as I’d hoped in my UCAT, I didn’t apply to any that I originally wanted to. At the moment I’m thinking of taking a gap year and reapplying next year to unis in the UK or maybe going abroad instead. I’ve spoken to some agencies and the countries I’m most interested in are either Bulgaria or the Czech Republic, however I’m a bit hesitant at applying to Eastern Europe because I’ve never been there. Being from a Western European country (Portugal) myself, my main concern would be that the cultural barrier would be too big and I wouldn’t adapt. Does anyone know what it’s like there (either in Bulgaria or the Czech Republic) and what the reputation is like for the medical schools?
Oh and it's good to hear that you're speaking with a few agencies. It's so important to get as much info as possible before deciding to move across the world :smile: that's why having support is crucial for a decision like this! Let me know if you need any help (if you want a genuine review of SME I'm happy to help since I applied through them)

How much do the charge you? And do I have to pay after your application is successful?
SME or MEDLINK which is better in terms of service and fees?
Oh and it's good to hear that you're speaking with a few agencies. It's so important to get as much info as possible before deciding to move across the world :smile: that's why having support is crucial for a decision like this! Let me know if you need any help (if you want a genuine review of SME I'm happy to help since I applied through them)

Yes I would love to hear about the application process and SME if that’s okay. I’ve been really looking at applying to Sofia but I’m quite apprehensive because no one I know has applied to medicine abroad or so I really have no way of knowing what life’s like there or anything. What are the medical facilities like there and do you know if any Bulgarian medical schools are accredited by the Australian medical council or the Canadian one etc. :smile:)
Reply 14
Original post by Sn+4Fe+2
Hello everyone,

Original post by ericapacheco
Hello, I’m a year 13 student at the moment and I’ve been looking at studying medicine in Eastern Europe. I’ve applied to some unis this year but due to not doing as well as I’d hoped in my UCAT, I didn’t apply to any that I originally wanted to. At the moment I’m thinking of taking a gap year and reapplying next year to unis in the UK or maybe going abroad instead. I’ve spoken to some agencies and the countries I’m most interested in are either Bulgaria or the Czech Republic, however I’m a bit hesitant at applying to Eastern Europe because I’ve never been there. Being from a Western European country (Portugal) myself, my main concern would be that the cultural barrier would be too big and I wouldn’t adapt. Does anyone know what it’s like there (either in Bulgaria or the Czech Republic) and what the reputation is like for the medical schools?

Hey guys, I’m a current fourth year student at Charles university studying medicine, if you guys need any help feel free to message.
Reply 15
Tbh the reputation of of Czech Republic university’s are pretty good here. I’ve heard internationally they are pretty well respected as well. In terms of what to study for the entrance examinations because they can be a little tough I can recommend a company called Praguemed that can help you guys out :smile:
Original post by Dil030497
Hey, I am a third year student studying general medicine in Armenia, and went through SME, honestly they are very over priced and charged myself and others that came here between £4000 - £5000 with very little communication and in country support. On top they lied to us saying they had British students already studying in Armenia when in reality we were the first group. Because of this I am working directly with the university and MedConnect for student recruitment offering a lot more competitive agency fees and far better support. Have you thought about studying in Armenia? It’s a lot cheaper than any other country (£2800) and is WHO accredited and in the world directory of medical universities too. Additionally, MedConnect and the university are now giving students the opportunity to study their first year in our Dubai campus for the same tuition fees - an opportunity SME won’t provide either. And along with your degree if you choose to study in Dubai you’ll receive a level 6 diploma in pre-medical sciences plus the experience of how it’s like to live in Dubai (which many doctors and dentists dream of once they are qualified 😉). If you have any questions let me know and I’ll be happy to help 🙂

On top of you’d like more info on the process MedConnect are having an open day on the 21st of March. Take a look at the link below to register for the open day (it’s totally free and full of information)

What's up with all this? makes me less interested in medconnect tbh :s-smilie:
Original post by Zara023
Tbh the reputation of of Czech Republic university’s are pretty good here. I’ve heard internationally they are pretty well respected as well. In terms of what to study for the entrance examinations because they can be a little tough I can recommend a company called Praguemed that can help you guys out :smile:

Original post by Zara023
Hey guys, I’m a current fourth year student at Charles university studying medicine, if you guys need any help feel free to message.

Hi, I would love to hear more about Charles University and what the application process is like. What grades did you apply with? (if you don’t mind me asking)
Hey there! I'm happy to help. Have you contacted SME? Generally what you do is talk to a recruiter and they discuss what you want and your options and all that before going on to applying. I know the Sofia MU is recognised by the gmc but I never really looked into the Australian or Canadian ones so tbh I can't be sure, but i asssume so.

No I haven’t yet, I spoke to someone from Medlink but they were charging around £2000 and I’ve heard thats quite a bit mor expensive than other agencies. What sort of grades should I be aiming to apply with?
Original post by ericapacheco
No I haven’t yet, I spoke to someone from Medlink but they were charging around £2000 and I’ve heard thats quite a bit mor expensive than other agencies. What sort of grades should I be aiming to apply with?

Hi, I had all Bs and I've still managed to apply in Bulgaria :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending