The Student Room Group

Where did you enjoy working part-time?

Hi! I'm looking for a job to do over the summer (maybe longer but I just need some experience for a start) but I've found a lot of the jobs I've looked at are only for Saturdays - I'm assuming because fewer people want to work on the weekend.

Are there any specific places I should try? At the moment I've been checking out retail jobs - primark in particular as there are quite a few vacancies near me. I don't mind doing stock or packaging online orders type of work but I'm coming up blank.

Another problem often is the total hours p/w as it's often around 4 however at this point, I kinda just need something so I don't mind which store/place/hours.

Any recommendations? TIA.
Original post by KKhamun
Hi! I'm looking for a job to do over the summer (maybe longer but I just need some experience for a start) but I've found a lot of the jobs I've looked at are only for Saturdays - I'm assuming because fewer people want to work on the weekend.

Are there any specific places I should try? At the moment I've been checking out retail jobs - primark in particular as there are quite a few vacancies near me. I don't mind doing stock or packaging online orders type of work but I'm coming up blank.

Another problem often is the total hours p/w as it's often around 4 however at this point, I kinda just need something so I don't mind which store/place/hours.

Any recommendations? TIA.

Hiya,

I worked as a barista for nearly 2 years which was a fantastic first job. I would definitely recommend working in a coffee shop, there are so many new skills you learn and its great in terms of experience in customer service and "people skills". My shifts tended to be anywhere from 5-8 hours, I don't know if this is the same for all coffee shops.

Hope this helped! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ecocovini
Hiya,

I worked as a barista for nearly 2 years which was a fantastic first job. I would definitely recommend working in a coffee shop, there are so many new skills you learn and its great in terms of experience in customer service and "people skills". My shifts tended to be anywhere from 5-8 hours, I don't know if this is the same for all coffee shops.

Hope this helped! :smile:

That is helpful. Thank you for the info! Did you find it quite easy to pickup? - I’ve always thought it would be a bit stressful tbh.
Reply 3
Haha no I’m just working for money and experience so I’m not expecting to majorly enjoy it but I don’t want it to be a drag like school was for me.

Unfortunately I don’t have any means of doing a delivery job yet otherwise that would be fairly high up on my list!
Reply 4
Yh I meant I don’t have a bike. I’ll have a look at Royal Mail though!
Original post by KKhamun
That is helpful. Thank you for the info! Did you find it quite easy to pickup? - I’ve always thought it would be a bit stressful tbh.

It is all quite easy to pick up; there are a lot of different skills but they will start from the basics (till work, cleaning tables) to make sure you are always doing something and then build up quite quickly to making coffee.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending