The Student Room Group

How to ask a stranger on a date

I have a crush on this guy. I see him a lot as it’s finals at the moment and we are both studying at the libary. I think he may like me back based off his body language and the fact he often looks at me but I’m not sure. I wanna ask him out but obviously the libary is a bit off an awkward place hah. Any ideas on how I could do it? Or is it a bad idea? Please help 😅

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If the body language is good you could leave him a quirky note asking if he fancies a coffee with you. Or just ask
Reply 2
Original post by Zarek
If the body language is good you could leave him a quirky note asking if he fancies a coffee with you. Or just ask

Thank you!! That’s a good idea. It’s just a bit intimidating cuz his friends are sitting near him. Do you think a note or just asking is better ahah. I haven’t asked someone out before so it’s a bit intimidating 🙃
Original post by liz24689
I have a crush on this guy. I see him a lot as it’s finals at the moment and we are both studying at the libary. I think he may like me back based off his body language and the fact he often looks at me but I’m not sure. I wanna ask him out but obviously the libary is a bit off an awkward place hah. Any ideas on how I could do it? Or is it a bad idea? Please help 😅

Try catch his eye and smile to see what he does. Or you could go ask him and his friends a question just to get talking. Or if you're leaving the library on your way out you could slip him your phone number on a note?
Just some ideas, let me know how it goes if you decide to! x
Reply 4
Thank you!! That’s a good idea. It’s just a bit intimidating cuz his friends are sitting near him. Do you think a note or just asking is better ahah. I haven’t asked someone out before so it’s a bit intimidating 🙃

A interesting note could be a good approach and initially this seems an easier option. The bad bit however is waiting for a response and the feelings you get if you don’t get one promptly. From experience I’ve decided asking face to face and getting immediate feedback is the better bet. Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by KeepingUpWKate
Try catch his eye and smile to see what he does. Or you could go ask him and his friends a question just to get talking. Or if you're leaving the library on your way out you could slip him your phone number on a note?
Just some ideas, let me know how it goes if you decide to! x

Thank you so much! I will let you know. Hoping to work up the courage to do it on Monday 😅x
Reply 6
Original post by Zarek
A interesting note could be a good approach and initially this seems an easier option. The bad bit however is waiting for a response and the feelings you get if you don’t get one promptly. From experience I’ve decided asking face to face and getting immediate feedback is the better bet. Good luck :smile:

Thank you 🙏!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 7

Just go over and sit with him, ask how he is and take it from there. Could get his number or ask to hang out later or invite him to go out somewhere. Just go for it, just go talk to him even if its not asking them out.
Reply 8
Original post by bubbazen
Just go over and sit with him, ask how he is and take it from there. Could get his number or ask to hang out later or invite him to go out somewhere. Just go for it, just go talk to him even if its not asking them out.

but a note would be well cute tbh, could stick it on his back as you walk past him or something of his ahhaahha
Reply 9
Original post by bubbazen
but a note would be well cute tbh, could stick it on his back as you walk past him or something of his ahhaahha

Thank you, that’s a good idea!!!!!! Do you think a note or just simply asking him would be better ahah. I’m not sure which would come across better 😅
Reply 10
Thank you, that’s a good idea!!!!!! Do you think a note or just simply asking him would be better ahah. I’m not sure which would come across better 😅

I would just ask lol. It might be a bit weird handing someone a piece of paper when you could just talk to him 😂

does he do any subjects that you do, if so start slowly and ask him whether if he'd like to revise together and maybe then ask him on a date?
Ask about his personal hobbies
Get his contact number
Smile
Invite him for coffee etc
Reply 13
Original post by Luka9
I would just ask lol. It might be a bit weird handing someone a piece of paper when you could just talk to him 😂

Ok, I’m just gunna ask him 😅. Thank you so much for you help ☺️!!!!!!!

You rock,girl! Go talk to the dude and say 'I like you. Want to go get a coffee?'

That is confidence without a doubt. Go git 'im!
Reply 15
Original post by ThatOldGuy
You rock,girl! Go talk to the dude and say 'I like you. Want to go get a coffee?'

That is confidence without a doubt. Go git 'im!

Thank you ☺️!!!!
So update... I tried to do it today and was ready and then I got very anxious and bailed. I feel very stupid hahah. Any tips for overcoming the anxiety. I just think it’s a bit awkward and intimidating to go up to him in such a quite environment. Ughhhhhhh. Idk whether to just bails and move on hahah

Well, you basically have two options: Ask him out and risk him saying 'No' or don't and never talk to him again as you're graduating. Either way, you aren't going to face a lot of negative consequences.
Reply 17
So update... I tried to do it today and was ready and then I got very anxious and bailed. I feel very stupid hahah. Any tips for overcoming the anxiety. I just think it’s a bit awkward and intimidating to go up to him in such a quite environment. Ughhhhhhh. Idk whether to just bails and move on hahah

There is no doubt asking someone out is nerve wrecking! Perhaps try some more eye contact, smiling, saying hello as a build up. It is a bit easier with the ice broken and positive vibes
I would think if a guy had started this thread, everyone would be calling him a creepy weirdo for wanting to approach a stranger.
Reply 19
Original post by Anonymous
I would think if a guy had started this thread, everyone would be calling him a creepy weirdo for wanting to approach a stranger.

OP did suggest there has been some building positive interaction. I do think everyone should be sensitive about asking people out in non-dating environments with no clue if the person is interested. Mind you, libraries can be a hot bed of simmering sexual tension
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending