The Student Room Group

Indecisive about First Car !!

My driving test is around the end of August and hope i pass first time !!

I'm a 19 year old individual whose impatiently waiting to drive legally . I have taken advice off people and been looking around . I'm not one to moan about car etc as its a first car and expected to get damaged etc.

My friends told me about yaris ( one has one ) and its seen as a good first and cheap car but it just doesn't peak my interest/ don't feel like getting one . I am leaning towards an ibiza but have been told it has gearbox problems and all but i seem to see alot around also my cousin having one which seems perfectly fine .

Just would like to know a good first car nothing stupid or such, been looking at astra and ibizas right now and budget of around £2k for the first car . And also like to know if ibiza is a good first car and not high maintenance
Original post by Ammz_123

I'm a 19 year old individual whose impatiently waiting to drive legally . I have taken advice off people and been looking around . I'm not one to moan about car etc as its a first car and expected to get damaged etc.

My friends told me about yaris ( one has one ) and its seen as a good first and cheap car but it just doesn't peak my interest/ don't feel like getting one . I am leaning towards an ibiza but have been told it has gearbox problems and all but i seem to see alot around also my cousin having one which seems perfectly fine .

Just would like to know a good first car nothing stupid or such, been looking at astra and ibizas right now and budget of around £2k for the first car . And also like to know if ibiza is a good first car and not high maintenance

Yh bro an Ibiza is a solid first car, try get a 1.2 max for cheaper insurance and get a black box, way cheaper insurance, ass ur parents as drivers to
U can get loads of good Ibiza’s 10 plates for around 1700

Hyundai i20, Hyundai i10, Kia picanto, nissan Micra.
All of the above are good first cars. You can get all of the above within your budget.
There are plenty about, generally cheap to repair, insurance isn't too bad on them (well as good as it's going to be for a new driver), etc.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Ghostface6001
Yh bro an Ibiza is a solid first car, try get a 1.2 max for cheaper insurance and get a black box, way cheaper insurance, ass ur parents as drivers to

No, do not get a black box.
Those things are the work of the devil and should be avoided at all costs.
Original post by Emma:-)
No, do not get a black box.
Those things are the work of the devil and should be avoided at all costs.

Haha why? It saves you around 5-600
Haha why? It saves you around 5-600

They are not as good as people believe them to be.
A lot of people have trouble with them. And no they aren't always cheaper.
The companies generally being ********s and threatening to cancel your insurance over every little thing, if they don't like your driving. You may not even have done much wrong. The only way to get out of this when they threaten to cancel is cancel before they do, otherwise you will have a cancelled insurance policy on your record which you will have to declare for years, increasing your future premiums.
Black boxes have been known to have glitches. For example saying you were speeding along X road when you were actually parked on the drive all along or driving under the limit along Y road (or similar). You would have trouble trying to prove you are telling the truth in these situations unless you had dash cam footage or something similar. These situations sound stupid but they have actually happened with quite a few people.
They may be cheaper to start with but quite a few have mileage limits. If you are going to do more miles than that, then you can buy top up miles with most policies, but these cost extra (and aren't always very cheap). The extra costs can soon add up- in the end you may as well go for a normal policy in the first place. Some may not even offer extra miles. For some, these mileage limits aren't always viable, especially if the person needs to use the car for commuting to work, college, uni etc etc.
Some black box policies also have curfews, where you can't drive before a certain time in the morning, or after a certain time in the evening. This isn't viable for some drivers, as they may require the car at these times for work, college, uni etc etc. My sister was a good example of this as she was doing an apprenticeship at the time.
They aren't always cheaper. If you actually shop around, you can usually get a normal policy for the same price or cheaper than a black box policy. Some may seem cheaper to start with, but with all the top up miles, and other extras etc they end up being the same price as a normal policy. I've seen some that are just plain more expensive to start with. Even if a normal policy is slightly more expensive, it's deffo money worth paying to avoid all of the issues that you get with black boxes.
I hope this explains why they should preferably be banned.
They are not as good as people believe them to be.
A lot of people have trouble with them. And no they aren't always cheaper.
The companies generally being ********s and threatening to cancel your insurance over every little thing, if they don't like your driving. You may not even have done much wrong. The only way to get out of this when they threaten to cancel is cancel before they do, otherwise you will have a cancelled insurance policy on your record which you will have to declare for years, increasing your future premiums.
Black boxes have been known to have glitches. For example saying you were speeding along X road when you were actually parked on the drive all along or driving under the limit along Y road (or similar). You would have trouble trying to prove you are telling the truth in these situations unless you had dash cam footage or something similar. These situations sound stupid but they have actually happened with quite a few people.
They may be cheaper to start with but quite a few have mileage limits. If you are going to do more miles than that, then you can buy top up miles with most policies, but these cost extra (and aren't always very cheap). The extra costs can soon add up- in the end you may as well go for a normal policy in the first place. Some may not even offer extra miles. For some, these mileage limits aren't always viable, especially if the person needs to use the car for commuting to work, college, uni etc etc.
Some black box policies also have curfews, where you can't drive before a certain time in the morning, or after a certain time in the evening. This isn't viable for some drivers, as they may require the car at these times for work, college, uni etc etc. My sister was a good example of this as she was doing an apprenticeship at the time.
They aren't always cheaper. If you actually shop around, you can usually get a normal policy for the same price or cheaper than a black box policy. Some may seem cheaper to start with, but with all the top up miles, and other extras etc they end up being the same price as a normal policy. I've seen some that are just plain more expensive to start with. Even if a normal policy is slightly more expensive, it's deffo money worth paying to avoid all of the issues that you get with black boxes.
I hope this explains why they should preferably be banned.

Ahh ok understandable, damnnn u wrote so much, u really hate black boxes😭
Ahh ok understandable, damnnn u wrote so much, u really hate black boxes😭

There are really a lot of issues with them.
If it were me id burn the lot of them.

sadly I have to have one as due to area where I live the only insurance under £2000 are black box ones.
Ford fiesta
Reply 10

Damn thats not to bad i guess , 10 plate for that price is solid , i guess just have to look around and find the right one like said if its got troubles from the start then it'll be a headache. Gumtree and facebook can be a decent place but also can get absolutely shafted
Reply 11

I agree with what you said tbh it is the work of the devil! To be fair alot of people do have them in their first cars and only been an issue of speed and curfew which is known before getting one , in some cases its just a must but for sure will be looking to get one without 🙏🏼
I agree with what you said tbh it is the work of the devil! To be fair alot of people do have them in their first cars and only been an issue of speed and curfew which is known before getting one , in some cases its just a must but for sure will be looking to get one without 🙏🏼

It's never a must to get a black box.
If you do your research, in most cases you can get normal policies for around the same price or cheaper than a black box. Even in the odd case where it's slightly more- it's worth paying the slightly more to avoid all the problems.
You hear the odd person saying that they can't afford a normal policy. IMO if that really is the case I'd wait until you can.
Original post by morganjp_
sadly I have to have one as due to area where I live the only insurance under £2000 are black box ones.

If you look around enough, I bet there could be a normal policy for a similar price. Even it's a couple of hundred more. That slightly more is worth paying to avoid all the problems.
Or if the area where you live is as bad as you say, then wait till you can afford it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending