The Student Room Group

Passing driving test with no 'official' lessons?

(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
I'd do an actual mock test to see if you're actually ready.
Original post by Umbacano
I've been driving regularly for over a year with my mother. I know I should have had a proper lesson for peace of mind but I just never got round to it, plus it's an extra cost... My test is next week though. :angry:
I've practised the test routes and I am good at the maneouvres (parallel parking, bay parking). I have no problem with steering, gears, hill starts etc. I've watched YT videos of people doing mock tests to see what mistakes people make.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice that might not be obvious to someone who's never had lessons. I really want to pass this test! :redface:
BTW both my parents passed without taking lessons.

This thread is sort of the antithesis of this one lol:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7064294

Make sure you practice the possible questions and understand the buttons in your car (wiper, windows etc).
Make sure to look in the rear and side mirrors enough as it shows your aware (which hopefully you are doing now anyway).
Take approaches slow and steady, that means that if you are unsure whether to turn or not, don't risk it.
Ensure that you stop for pedestrians at zebra crossings and wait for them to get of before moving.
If you are in a wrong lane for a roundabout or take a wrong turn, don't worry. If this happens, you will not have any points deducted and the driving instructor will guide you on where to go.

Finally, don't overthink it. From the sounds of it, you have done a lot of the stuff that would have been completed in driving lessons

Good luck!

Edit: As mentioned above, taking a mock test would be a good idea but booking in such advance may be impossible.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by moonstaar
Make sure you practice the possible questions and understand the buttons in your car (wiper, windows etc).
Make sure to look in the rear and side mirrors enough as it shows your aware (which hopefully you are doing now anyway).
Take approaches slow and steady, that means that if you are unsure whether to turn or not, don't risk it.
Ensure that you stop for pedestrians at zebra crossings and wait for them to get of before moving.
If you are in a wrong lane for a roundabout or take a wrong turn, don't worry. If this happens, you will not have any points deducted and the driving instructor will guide you on where to go.

Finally, don't overthink it. From the sounds of it, you have done a lot of the stuff that would have been completed in driving lessons

Good luck!

Edit: As mentioned above, taking a mock test would be a good idea but booking in such advance may be impossible.

Thanks! I think I'm okay with these, probably need to go over the questions though. I suppose if I fail I will have had a mock test at least :redface:
how much was insurance
Reply 5
I think you'll be fine, a teacher is a teacher at the end of the day and if ur parents are doing a good job. I had a teacher for a few months, he was shockingly awful, and after that I just learnt with my dad and ended up passing. it's more about confidence and familiarisation with driving than perfection. one thing I did Do which was super helpful was getting a good instructor recommendation from a friend and doing one mock test with him a few days before my test. if you're local to Worcestershire, I can give you his details! good luck x
Reply 6
As someone else said it’s definitely worth doing a mock test or some form of assessment lesson with an instructor if you can. Instructors have a lot of inside information on your local test centre and you’ll likely feel a lot more confident on the day if you have that confirmation from them.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Umbacano
I've been driving regularly for over a year with my mother. I know I should have had a proper lesson for peace of mind but I just never got round to it, plus it's an extra cost... My test is next week though. :angry:
I've practised the test routes and I am good at the maneouvres (parallel parking, bay parking). I have no problem with steering, gears, hill starts etc. I've watched YT videos of people doing mock tests to see what mistakes people make.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice that might not be obvious to someone who's never had lessons. I really want to pass this test! :redface:
BTW both my parents passed without taking lessons.

This thread is sort of the antithesis of this one lol:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7064294

Your parents are probably better teachers than most ADIs. Vast majority of ADIs are lazy and don't teach their students properly.
Reply 8
Original post by Eldw
I think you'll be fine, a teacher is a teacher at the end of the day and if ur parents are doing a good job. I had a teacher for a few months, he was shockingly awful, and after that I just learnt with my dad and ended up passing. it's more about confidence and familiarisation with driving than perfection. one thing I did Do which was super helpful was getting a good instructor recommendation from a friend and doing one mock test with him a few days before my test. if you're local to Worcestershire, I can give you his details! good luck x

Original post by IWMTom
Your parents are probably better teachers than most ADIs. Vast majority of ADIs are lazy and don't teach their students properly.

*Gasps* it can't be true!!
I just did this had a car for 7 weeks no lessons and passed first time. Instructors are overrated if you can learn yourself

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending