The Student Room Group

What do I do?

So basically I have been unemployed for a good while now and it sucks it really does. I have had to go onto uc and tbh I hate being on it. I've had no choice but to really. I am struggling a bit with it due to complex issues and I think my account will be sanctioned. Its not too bad though as I'm going to university this September to get a great education and to kickstart my fantastic career. I am studying sports development and coaching BA. I'm wanting to go into the sports sector after university. I just worry that this will happen and I'll find myself unemployed and having to rely on uc yet again. I'm smart enough to know that when at university I'm looking at all job positions and possibilities that occur as I am not going through this again. However if there are no jobs available that I can find I'm thinking about doing a PGCE in primary Teaching to gain employment. It's not exactly my first choice but I am worried.

What do people think about my situation?
Thanks.
Reply 1
Always keep UC updated with factual information. You can't hide from it just to get the precious mula each month - they will find out eventually and you'll get slapped with repayments etc. Seriously, councils and government bureaucracy do not shy away from chasing if they think they're out of pocket. So get that straight as a priority.

If you're going to Uni, assuming you have accommodation and finances arranged, you should focus on that instead of looking ahead several years. Inventing an impending sense of inescapable failure is just going to do damage, and going into the course with imposter syndrome could make you a self-fulfilling prophecy. Just step back, appreciate your prospective new career, and use that as the drive to work through your course. Focus on getting the best possible grades, and stop panicking about work for now. Speak to your tutor or fellow students and you'll soon get good ideas as to where you can be successful with your new qualification down the line.

Even if you don't get to work in your desired field - employers like degrees. They don't even usually care what it's in these days, depending on the role.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr Rob
Always keep UC updated with factual information. You can't hide from it just to get the precious mula each month - they will find out eventually and you'll get slapped with repayments etc. Seriously, councils and government bureaucracy do not shy away from chasing if they think they're out of pocket. So get that straight as a priority.

If you're going to Uni, assuming you have accommodation and finances arranged, you should focus on that instead of looking ahead several years. Inventing an impending sense of inescapable failure is just going to do damage, and going into the course with imposter syndrome could make you a self-fulfilling prophecy. Just step back, appreciate your prospective new career, and use that as the drive to work through your course. Focus on getting the best possible grades, and stop panicking about work for now. Speak to your tutor or fellow students and you'll soon get good ideas as to where you can be successful with your new qualification down the line.

Even if you don't get to work in your desired field - employers like degrees. They don't even usually care what it's in these days, depending on the role.

No of course I'm always factual with uc m. Right now I don't have too much money to my name in my bank account cos all of it has gone out on shopping and everything. I have to help my mum out with things and when trying to save money for university yes it isn't great when I have to rely on uc for my money. Yes I know I need to get a job. But who is willing to employ me for such a short time plus money going out on public transport is something I really don't need.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
No of course I'm always factual with uc m. Right now I don't have too much money to my name in my bank account cos all of it has gone out on shopping and everything. I have to help my mum out with things and when trying to save money for university yes it isn't great when I have to rely on uc for my money. Yes I know I need to get a job. But who is willing to employ me for such a short time plus money going out on public transport is something I really don't need.

I see, so it's the interim that you need a job for. To be honest, you've got, what, less than a month until the course starts? A few weeks? You're not going to realistically get a job in that time, much less a paycheck. There's no shame in getting UC - it's there to help people. It's the folks that sit on it and aren't motivated to better their circumstances or pay their own way for the foreseeable that should face the stigma.

You could start looking for a part time job to do during Uni, if you like, but you might find it very hard work in the first year. But it's perfectly doable.
Reply 4
Original post by Mr Rob
I see, so it's the interim that you need a job for. To be honest, you've got, what, less than a month until the course starts? A few weeks? You're not going to realistically get a job in that time, much less a paycheck. There's no shame in getting UC - it's there to help people. It's the folks that sit on it and aren't motivated to better their circumstances or pay their own way for the foreseeable that should face the stigma.

You could start looking for a part time job to do during Uni, if you like, but you might find it very hard work in the first year. But it's perfectly doable.

Thanks for that.

I really needed that to calm my nerves. You see I want to get a good job during university. I want to work I do. Its just I don't see anywhere hiring me before I start uni
Reply 5
The job market is awful at the moment but you have a plan for your future and UC is there for people in your position.Try and concentrate on your
course at uni as you sound like you will get quite a high maintainence loan and you are used to managing on a budget.There is no point stressing out over a few weeks.Try and enjoy the time you have free before the work starts in September.Do you have friends in a similar position?Perhaps do some things like running together to bring your stress levels down.
Reply 6
Original post by Scotney
The job market is awful at the moment but you have a plan for your future and UC is there for people in your position.Try and concentrate on your
course at uni as you sound like you will get quite a high maintainence loan and you are used to managing on a budget.There is no point stressing out over a few weeks.Try and enjoy the time you have free before the work starts in September.Do you have friends in a similar position?Perhaps do some things like running together to bring your stress levels down.

Thank you so much that means a lot to me. I mean I don't have friends in the same position as me. I have a friend who always wants to meet up but is sort of a let down. I mean I don't want to stress too much this is the thing. I can't wait to start uni though and do my studies and work. Thank you so much for your help 🙂
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you so much that means a lot to me. I mean I don't have friends in the same position as me. I have a friend who always wants to meet up but is sort of a let down. I mean I don't want to stress too much this is the thing. I can't wait to start uni though and do my studies and work. Thank you so much for your help 🙂

What sports are you into?Perhaps you could get involved with volunteering to help youngsters over the summer.Once you get to uni get involved in as many teams and societies as you can.Volunteering can often provide vital experience when you go to apply for a job.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Scotney
What sports are you into?Perhaps you could get involved with volunteering to help youngsters over the summer.Once you get to uni get involved in as many teams and societies as you can.Volunteering can often provide vital experience when you go to apply for a job.

Thank you so much yeah I'm trying to volunteer with clubs. I'm into Futsal but that's not available to me yet so I'm looking at summer football coaching volunteer opportunities. Yeah I'm going to be joining the Futsal team the football society, the Rounders society and maybe the cricket or basketball society at uni. Thank you for the advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending