The Student Room Group

Leaving my job as a kitchen porter, is 1 weeks' notice enough?

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working as a kitchen porter in my village pub, which I started about 18 months ago. However my anxiety has shot up recently, and my sleeping/eating have been affected to the point that I worry about my safety on the job.

I run into my bosses fairly regularly, so I don't want to end it on bad terms. Does 1 weeks' notice sound reasonable, or should I stick it out for longer?
Reply 1
I think for similar roles two to four weeks would be the norm. One week is a bit harsh, but who knows - if you want to end it on good terms, managers really appreciate being spoken to before having a resignation thrown at them. Have a chat with a boss, be resolute in your desire to leave. You can say it's because of your wellbeing, but that might make them feel guilty and want to fix things with you - inadvertently pressuring you to stay. However, you could also choose to make up something about seeking to broaden your skills in a new field (that old chestnut). Communication is key.
Original post by mypwnsupport
Hi everyone,

I'm currently working as a kitchen porter in my village pub, which I started about 18 months ago. However my anxiety has shot up recently, and my sleeping/eating have been affected to the point that I worry about my safety on the job.

I run into my bosses fairly regularly, so I don't want to end it on bad terms. Does 1 weeks' notice sound reasonable, or should I stick it out for longer?

What does it say about notice on your contract?
Your contract should say how much notice to give.
Check your contract. If it doesn’t specify a length of time then 2 weeks is standard.
(edited 2 years ago)
Ok thanks everyone, I think I'll go with 2 weeks. I was never given a contract so IDK about the official period.
Original post by mypwnsupport
Ok thanks everyone, I think I'll go with 2 weeks. I was never given a contract so IDK about the official period.

I, too, would have said a fortnight was fine. :smile:
Hi it's entirely up to you if you feel that you're not up to the job anymore then I would end and give them enough notice maybe two weeks notice. I'm also a kitchen porter myself and and I'm on also thinking about giving my notice when I start my new you job of the same position.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending