The Student Room Group

University

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I am currently in my second year of college and i am predicted AAB for my A level courses which include Business, Law and Psychology but I want to study an Economics and management course at university. My GCSE's include an average of grade 6 however my maths GCSE is at grade 4. I would like to know that if i resit my maths GCSE in November and achieve a grade 6 when exam results are released in January, will i able to apply for university that include maths GCSE at grade 6 and still apply for top universities and will i need to make contacts with universities since the deadline of application for my college is around November.
I think the Nov resits are only for those who receieved Tags last summer - ie. not avaailble to Y13 resits - so a June resit is your only option. Resitting GCSE maths in June would be fine btw, you would just add it to your 'pending qualifications' and any offer would include it as an extra condirion.
Unis are perfectly okay about GCSE resits, if your predicted grade is high enough your application will be treated just the same as anyone with thata s an acheived grade.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
I think the Nov resits are only for those who receieved Tags last summer - ie. not avaailble to Y13 resits - so a June resit is your only option. Resitting GCSE maths in June would be fine btw, you would just add it to your 'pending qualifications' and any offer would include it as an extra condirion.
Unis are perfectly okay about GCSE resits, if your predicted grade is high enough your application will be treated just the same as anyone with thata s an acheived grade.

Thank you for the feedback,i just want to also say that are GCSE's an important element in the university application. For example, for studying Economics and Management the requirements under UCAS states that applicants should have grade 6 in maths and english which I have for english but not for maths but say i do achieve the alevel grades needed to get onto the course, will this compensate for my math grade.

in other words, will universities turn an applicant down if they have the alevel grades but not GCSE if i was to not resit and stick with my original grade in GCSE maths.

Also, are Universities lenient when looking at applicant GCSE grades?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Qwerty985
Are Universities lenient when looking at applicant GCSE grades?

No, and No.
GCSEs are about basic skills - and if you dont have the required Maths grade they know you will struggle on the course.
That is why they want it - and why you will get an instant rejection if you apply without it.

Either resit it this summer, or apply somewhere else.
It really is that simple.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending