The Student Room Group

Computers, Maths, Cupcakes and Madness

Scroll to see replies

Original post by flaurie
Ahhh congrats on the offer!!!!! :party: It’s always a relief to get the first one through :yep:

63 is a solid mark, you should be proud of that (esp with ~1 month to go!) :biggrin: Is it early November? Think it was around the 5th last year!

If you need any help with Maclaurin series I can try to help :h:

Thank you 😁!
I feel like I can't stop grinning lol.

The MAT is on 3rd November (22 days!!) so I still have some time to prep
Original post by Cupcakes12
Thank you 😁!
I feel like I can't stop grinning lol.

The MAT is on 3rd November (22 days!!) so I still have some time to prep

and rightly so! :grin:

that's nice, still quite a bit of time then :yes: i left my MAT prep pretty late last year :colondollar: Have you studied the Y2 series and sequences topic then?
Original post by flaurie
and rightly so! :grin:

that's nice, still quite a bit of time then :yes: i left my MAT prep pretty late last year :colondollar: Have you studied the Y2 series and sequences topic then?

yeah I have, but not in school. they were gonna move it forward in the year but then they couldn't, so I've just gone through the whole chapter in the textbook and done all examples and most of the exercises. thankfully it's quite an easy topic.
I got an offer!

I got an offer for Mathematics and Computer Science from the University of Birmingham!! I'm so excited!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: It's for A*AA, which should be ok. But Birmingham is basically my top choice of uni, so I'm over the moon!!

Over the weekend I did a MAT mock (the 2018 paper) and I got 63%, which is ok. This week's MAT livestream is going through this paper so I should get clarification on the questions I didn't really understand, and if not I'll take it to my teacher on Friday.

I also started work on my further maths revision for the series test. I find the Maclaurin series stuff quite hard so it will take some work.

Tags:

Spoiler

Congratulations!
Original post by sadforsadboys
Congratulations!

Aaaaah. I've not had a good day. :cry:

Tomorrow is my databases assessment for computing. I hope it goes well, I think I know SQL it's just the definitions and bits I'm not sure about.

I had further maths and my teacher sprung a test on us. I don't know why :confused: he thought it was a good idea :angry:. So now I have to revise Chi Squared Tests before Thursday. I also still have to revise for the series test on Friday as well.

I've been marking the MAT 2019 paper which at the time felt good. On question 1 I got 16/40 :s-smilie: and I started marking question 2, it was a disaster so now I'm quite miserable and don't want to mark the rest. I do need to though. I think I will be doing plenty more practise before attempting another whole paper. I'm just so disappointed because I thought it was going well at the time.

The other thing bothering me is that I can't access my composition at all. This means all my music coursework has just ground to a halt. It's because the school haven't paid for this year's noteflight subscription yet for some reason so I can't do that at all.

My plan for tonight involves cramming databases definitions, starting revision on chi squared and finishing my further maths homework which is due tomorrow. I feel like I am normally so much more organised than this so I don't know what's going on with me.

Tags:

Spoiler

More Offers Coming In!

Today I got 2 more offers! One from Leicester (Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence - AAB) and one from York (Mathematics / Computer Science - AAA). So now I've had offers from 3/5 unis, which is more than I would expect to have at this early date. The 3 I've had offers from include my top 2 unis as well.

Work wise I've watched a MAT livestream video. Honestly I find them so motivating and they encourage me to get so much done, so then I can comment and ask questions and stuff. Today I had a milkshake when I was doing it too which made me happy.

Spoiler

All the things that I was worried about on Monday seem so much better today. My music teacher has managed to get Noteflight back up and running which is a relief. I have done a further maths test and a computing test, leaving me with just one more tomorrow.

I feel like year 13 is an absolute rollercoaster, as one day I am like

and then the next day is like

but mostly

Tags:

Spoiler

More Offers Coming In!

Today I got 2 more offers! One from Leicester (Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence - AAB) and one from York (Mathematics / Computer Science - AAA). So now I've had offers from 3/5 unis, which is more than I would expect to have at this early date. The 3 I've had offers from include my top 2 unis as well.

Work wise I've watched a MAT livestream video. Honestly I find them so motivating and they encourage me to get so much done, so then I can comment and ask questions and stuff. Today I had a milkshake when I was doing it too which made me happy.

Spoiler

All the things that I was worried about on Monday seem so much better today. My music teacher has managed to get Noteflight back up and running which is a relief. I have done a further maths test and a computing test, leaving me with just one more tomorrow.

but mostly

Tags:

Spoiler

Hiya!! :hi: Massive congratulations on your 3 Uni offers. And 2 being your top choices aswell. :happy2: Honestly that is so awesome.

I'm glad to hear the last few days have been better. Hopefully you have a good day tomorrow and then a nice weekend and half term.

Please could you tag me?

P. S My daughter LOVES sloths too.
P. P. S I also like Aldi milkshakes. :five:
Original post by Auntie_Autie2019
Hiya!! :hi: Massive congratulations on your 3 Uni offers. And 2 being your top choices aswell. :happy2: Honestly that is so awesome.

I'm glad to hear the last few days have been better. Hopefully you have a good day tomorrow and then a nice weekend and half term.

Please could you tag me?

P. S My daughter LOVES sloths too.
P. P. S I also like Aldi milkshakes. :five:

Thank you! and of course I can tag you.

I don't think I'm gonna be doing any major updates until after half term (or maybe even until after the MAT exam, depending how I feel about it)
Congratulations on your offers!! :clap2:
More Offers Coming In!

Spoiler

but mostly

Tags:

Spoiler

hey! Just read through your blog! its so interesting, Congrats on the 3 offers, wishing you the very best xx
I'm back from half term!

Original post by sadforsadboys
Congratulations on your offers!! :clap2:

Original post by _itstomz_
hey! Just read through your blog! its so interesting, Congrats on the 3 offers, wishing you the very best xx

Thank you for the support guys :h:

Half term was great! I was very relaxed for most of the week. I also went to a music day for a concert band and even though I didn't know anyone I had tonnes of fun playing the clarinet and bass clarinet which is waaay cooler.

Today I was doing an online MAT preparation course offered to us by school (even though the exam is only 2 days away!?) which wasn't that helpul tbh. It wasn't just for MAT, it was generically for MAT/TMUA/ECAA and some other exams I think. When that finished I joined my regular maths lesson on teams, because I didn't see the point of going into school just for the last lesson of the day.

I have so much work to do, including a brief overview of a romantic symphony (due in tomorrow oops) because I didn't do very much other than MAT prep over half term. I also got extensions for all my maths homework until after the MAT, but I am actually going to need to start doing some of it at some point. My current to do list:

symphony homework (urgent!!!!!!!!)

trigonometry question sheet

exercise 1A

exercise 1D - I'm really annoyed because I started this and then lost it so I need to start again

exercise 1E

mixed exercise 7

Dr Frost questions (x2)

integration question sheet

start revising data structures

Tags:

Spoiler

MAT is Over

I did the MAT on Wednesday, so now it's just a waiting game. It was very hard, but not too much harder than I was expecting. I was hoping for a slightly easier paper like in 2020, but it just wasn't. I struggled with the multiple choice :frown: but I enjoyed most of the long questions. My favourite was question 2 which was about Maclaurin series but without actually saying that's what they were lol. I also completely didn't understand the first part of that question however I feel like it got better from that point onwards.

On Thursday I had a joint school orchestra rehearsal. Everyone was there, so I saw a bunch of people who I haven't seen since before covid. We are playing a selection from Swan Lake by Tchaikovsky and Phantom of the Opera.

Now that the MAT is over I have a fat load of work to catch up on. This is my to do list for the weekend, although I'm not sure it is achievable.

Spoiler

Tags:

Spoiler

MAT is Over

I did the MAT on Wednesday, so now it's just a waiting game. It was very hard, but not too much harder than I was expecting. I was hoping for a slightly easier paper like in 2020, but it just wasn't. I struggled with the multiple choice :frown: but I enjoyed most of the long questions. My favourite was question 2 which was about Maclaurin series but without actually saying that's what they were lol. I also completely didn't understand the first part of that question however I feel like it got better from that point onwards.

On Thursday I had a joint school orchestra rehearsal. Everyone was there, so I saw a bunch of people who I haven't seen since before covid. We are playing a selection from Swan Lake by Tchaikovsky and Phantom of the Opera.

Now that the MAT is over I have a fat load of work to catch up on. This is my to do list for the weekend, although I'm not sure it is achievable.

Spoiler

Tags:

Spoiler

Hi I'm so glad you had a good half term. It sounded like you really needed the break to recharge and not get anything new to learn.

Well done for doing the MAT, it sounds like a huge thing out of the way. And it's great that you can can get out and participate in music activities and events again too. Those extra curricular interests are worth holding on to.

I'm liking your To Do list but I hope it doesn't overwhelm you. Just think that every piece of work ticked off, is an achievement and another step closer to your goals.

Keep going and good luck with any results you're waiting on, including the MAT. :smile:
Original post by Auntie_Autie2019
Hi I'm so glad you had a good half term. It sounded like you really needed the break to recharge and not get anything new to learn.

Well done for doing the MAT, it sounds like a huge thing out of the way. And it's great that you can can get out and participate in music activities and events again too. Those extra curricular interests are worth holding on to.

I'm liking your To Do list but I hope it doesn't overwhelm you. Just think that every piece of work ticked off, is an achievement and another step closer to your goals.

Keep going and good luck with any results you're waiting on, including the MAT. :smile:

Thank you! My to do list was a little bit overwhelming but I need to write everything down in one place or else I forget to do some things. Although I said my to do list is for the weekend, not all of it has deadlines so it doesn't really matter if I don't do it all, especially because I have a free 1st thing on Monday. I have finished 6 things off it now, so I'm done with work for today. Hope you have a nice weekend! (or what's left of it lol)
Please tag me - can't believe i missed it!

Mathematicians rule ....
(edited 2 years ago)
Thank you! My to do list was a little bit overwhelming but I need to write everything down in one place or else I forget to do some things. Although I said my to do list is for the weekend, not all of it has deadlines so it doesn't really matter if I don't do it all, especially because I have a free 1st thing on Monday. I have finished 6 things off it now, so I'm done with work for today. Hope you have a nice weekend! (or what's left of it lol)

Ah it sounds like you had a really productive Saturday. I hope everything has gone ok since. I really need to do an update on my blog. Ha ha!!
Last week (and the start of this week) have been manically busy, and honestly I don't think I'm ever going to become less busy lol. I have 7 weeks until mocks (which is the 1st week back after Christmas :mad:) so I really ought to be getting into a good revision schedule, but I am just trying to keep on top of all my impending deadlines at the minute.

I got my test on Maclaurin series back today, and I was quite disappointed. I got 27/41 which is ok but I should have done better. I lost 7 of those marks on questions that I didn't answer, because I got stuck on question 5a (and ended up getting 0/5 marks for it) so then I didn't attempt 5b, 5c or 5d. Looking at the mark scheme though, I think it would have actually been quite easy to get some of those marks for those questions which just makes me more frustrated with myself.

I am working through most of my coursework right now. My composition seems to be going well, and I recently got some feedback on it and some areas to improve. My computing coursework is such a fat load of work. I am getting it done, but I am wondering if I have bitten off more than I can chew with my project idea.

On Thursday it is open evening. I am helping out in the music department, because they have the least helpers. I am also performing in the hall - the 1st time I've performed to actual people other than my A level class and teachers since before the pandemic. I am not too worried about it though because I am playing a couple of grade 6 pieces which I know super well.

Tags:

Spoiler

Don't worry about one weaker test - you know what you did wrong and will learn from it.

Do the questions again in a fortnight or so ...

Good luck with the performance :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Yesterday was such an insane day. I feel like I probably say that alot, but honestly yesterday I had so much going on and it reminded me of those crazy concert days and open evenings from before covid.

In the morning, I got an email about a mock interview. It is on Monday, with the head of year 12 (because she's a maths teacher lol) and I have been doing a bit of prep for it. I need to watch the Oxford livestream video for maths interviews, which I think should help, because I couldn't actually join it live unfortunately due to open evening. I'm hoping that's all I need to do before this mock, then I'll get some feedback and know what else to work on. It probably helps that I am a naturally chatty person, especially when I am talking about things that I love.

We had sectionals in the orchestra rehearsal. There was no teacher to lead the woodwind one, so it was left to me and my friend :eek: with 1 day's notice! It honestly went ok ish - I was mostly leading it which was a terrible idea because I can't conduct lmao. So I ended up hitting a drumstick onto my music stand to keep a beat for everyone (thankfully only 12 people) to play in time to. I hit myself in the face with it and split my lip which was hilarious :rofl2:. We did manage to make quite a few improvements, but everyone - flutes in particular - needs to do some more individual practise. The only bad thing was the piano player (idk why he got sent to the woodwind sectional), who kept being very rude to me, and suggesting he would be better to run it - he was the youngest person in the room at 13, and he kept playing the piano when I wanted everyone quiet and interrupting me with "helpful" ideas. At the end he also said it had been a waste of 45 minutes of his life, and I got really upset and went to cry in the music cupboard :cry:with my friend. Everyone else said I did a really good job, and now I think it's quite funny that I let this literal child upset me so much.

We also had open evening straight after. Me and another friend kept eating skittles in between all the people visiting (we weren't really overrun because it's A level music) and then we both crashed at about 10 past 7. But there was noone else who came after that so it wasn't really a problem. My performance was also fine, I did it a little bit wrong, but the only person who noticed was my sister. The head of music also bought us all donuts today to say thank you.

Today is Children in Need, and it is a tradition that year 13 go in their old school uniform, so I had to root that out this morning. I asked my sister to borrow a jumper off her, and she fishes her jumper out of her dirty laundry basket :unimpressed: to give me to wear. In the end I remembered that I had a really old one in the bottom of my wardrobe. We also got to take some really nice but kinda funny photos of us all in uniform again at lunchtime.

This morning I had a computing test which was very hard. I think it is the first proper practise we have done for paper one apart from our mock last year. The pseudocode algorithm went fine I think, but one of the (maths!!) questions I know I got wrong because it had 2 parts and I was supposed to get the same answer for both. There were 2 trace tables which hopefully went ok, but I had to say what the purpose of the algorithms that I was tracing at the end of each question, and I had no clue :confused: so I just made it up.

Next week I have a timed essay in music. I need to do a pile of revision because I don't think I know any wider listening well enough to bring it up in an essay.

To Do List:

exercise 4D

mechanics mixed exercise 4

exercise 2C

watch interview prep video

research a Neo-Classical piece to present to the class

revise wider listening for music essay

revise partial fractions

This has been quite a long and wordy update - whoops! I just wanted to have a bit of a moan honestly.

Tags:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending