The Student Room Group

stressed out

My mocks are in less than a month and they are very important as they will determine our target grades, so we can apply to unis.
The stress of these mocks and A-levels in general is killing me to the point that I cannot fall asleep right now. The problem is even though I care alot about my grades I won't study.

I cannot study in my sixth form centre as it's far too busy and I can't stay focused.
I can't study at home because I get distracted way too easily by my phone. Even if I were to lock my phone or put it away I can literally daydream or do other things that will distract my for hours. Also, at home I will keep procrastinating (saying I will study in one more hour), till eventually it's night time.
The only place I can study properly is at the library. However, I usually go after school (my bus stops there) and on other days I can't be bothered to get ready just to go to the library. Also, I wake up quite late and the library closes at like 4. I wish it was open till later since I'm a night person.

I need to stop being lazy and procrastinating, because it will eventually be too late and I will end up failing my A-levels (I also have coursework to do so I need time). But I don't know what to do. I've tried everything from planning my revision to buying new stationary/things for studying (thinking it will increase my motivation), but nothing works.

I need tips ASAP from people that were in the same place as me but made a change. I will do anything atp. Thank you in advance
Original post by stressingrn
My mocks are in less than a month and they are very important as they will determine our target grades, so we can apply to unis.
The stress of these mocks and A-levels in general is killing me to the point that I cannot fall asleep right now. The problem is even though I care alot about my grades I won't study.

I cannot study in my sixth form centre as it's far too busy and I can't stay focused.
I can't study at home because I get distracted way too easily by my phone. Even if I were to lock my phone or put it away I can literally daydream or do other things that will distract my for hours. Also, at home I will keep procrastinating (saying I will study in one more hour), till eventually it's night time.
The only place I can study properly is at the library. However, I usually go after school (my bus stops there) and on other days I can't be bothered to get ready just to go to the library. Also, I wake up quite late and the library closes at like 4. I wish it was open till later since I'm a night person.

I need to stop being lazy and procrastinating, because it will eventually be too late and I will end up failing my A-levels (I also have coursework to do so I need time). But I don't know what to do. I've tried everything from planning my revision to buying new stationary/things for studying (thinking it will increase my motivation), but nothing works.

I need tips ASAP from people that were in the same place as me but made a change. I will do anything atp. Thank you in advance

I’m in the same position but here’s how I can help.

If listening to music is helping you concentrate, listen to a lofi playlist. The words in pop songs when you listen to them while working will be remembered, not your notes so lofi is good because it’s instrumental.

Use anki or quizlet on your phone for revision to and from school.

Hand-write notes and do active recall. Only revise the topics you either aren’t confident with or don’t know. There’s no point revising a topic if you already know it.

Past paper Q’s! There are thousands of past papers somewhere, use these past paper questions. Answer them and then look at the mark scheme to see what kind of answers the examiners want. If you want. You can get your teachers to mark your big essay questions and give you feedback to help bolster your essay writing skills.

Also, Use the Feuyten’s (i think its called that) method where you explain it to someone else. It helps to consolidate your knowledge as well as teaching it to someone else.

Use pomodoro. Estimate how long your task will take you and work through them in 30 minute increments, 25 minutes work and 5 minutes rest/downtime to prevent burnout.

Ask your teachers what topics you need to revise! They will know which topics you need to work on.

Attend intervention sessions if they’re available. Okay even if you’re achieving top grades. Attend them. Teachers will help to give better understandings on different topics when they explain it more than once to you.

Now, do not stress. That will only make it worse because you will blank and forget everything if you stress.

Use your frees to your advantage! and do 1 hour revision per subject at home. 2 pomodoro sessions per subject so you can do the things you love too. On the weekends, dedicate one day to revision and the other to relax.

Hope that helps! <3
Original post by stressingrn

This has may have been said in the below post but listening to music (as long as you don't get lost in the music and it's distracting) or if possible you could ask a teacher if you could use a quiet room to study at lunch or after school or what topics they think you should work on / are most important.

Some people find it helpful to study with others eg an online group or a friend or family member, who are not too distracting and can quiz you or just to help you be motivated.

Other people find braking revision up into bite-size chunks with brakes easier to handle than long unmotivated, often timewasting sessions.

make sure you have an idea at the start of the session of what topics or subjects you want to cover and if you have any time constraints (e.g your going somewhere later) so that you can have an end goal, you can decide to change it, but this can help to structure it.

These are just some ideas off the top of my head, I hope they help. I can give you more revision tips if you would like :smile:

You're not alone in these problems, although it can feel like that. It can be a struggle at times, but if you care and try you will likely find a way. As they say, work smarter not harder, but it can be easier said than done. good luck.
(edited 1 year ago)
It's only an exam.
Ruthless as it may sound, it is true.

If you really care, you'll find a way.

You can make changes to your routine, depending on your priorities.

Everyone procrastinates, yes, but everyone has a job to do. So won't you do it?

Quick Reply

Latest