The Student Room Group

A Levels bad predictions

My child got bad predicted though she is very intelligent could she retake A level if at all her grades are not satisfactory in real exams
Of course, she can. That is exactly what I am currently doing. Due to the whole exam cancellation stuff that happened, I got some rubbish CAG results DDC in chem-bio and psychology. I wanted to do medicine so I was proactive and thought I should retake them that is what I am currently doing and have been predicted A*A*A* by my tutors. I believe that sometimes we just are not lucky the first time around I also had some other problems that I was facing while at school but I guess everything happens for a reason.
Original post by najji
My child got bad predicted though she is very intelligent could she retake A level if at all her grades are not satisfactory in real exams

By the way, if you don't mind me asking what is she applying for at uni
Reply 3
Original post by samisasam
By the way, if you don't mind me asking what is she applying for at uni

Medecine with predicted
A*A B
Reply 4
Of course, she can. That is exactly what I am currently doing. Due to the whole exam cancellation stuff that happened, I got some rubbish CAG results DDC in chem-bio and psychology. I wanted to do medicine so I was proactive and thought I should retake them that is what I am currently doing and have been predicted A*A*A* by my tutors. I believe that sometimes we just are not lucky the first time around I also had some other problems that I was facing while at school but I guess everything happens for a reason.

Do you need to retake A Levels through college or you can apply self .
My child said gone is gone once you missed your grades you can never improve though you take a gap year .
It's was so depressing to know.
Original post by najji
Medecine with predicted
A*A B

Those are not that bad I knew people with lower predicted grades who got into medicine you just need to apply strategically also she can ask a teacher to raise the B for her or she could sit a little mini test to show she is capable of getting an A
Original post by najji
Do you need to retake A Levels through college or you can apply self .
My child said gone is gone once you missed your grades you can never improve though you take a gap year .
It's was so depressing to know.

Well, you can take them with the school which is cheaper or you can do it privately at a centre. That isn't entirely true you see I am currently doing my exams and will apply to medicine. I had a friend who didn't get grades the first time around and applied through gap year and got in no problem at all. You just need to look for unis that allow retakes

Hi,
I am planning on retaking my A Levels too as I wasn't happy with my current CAGs. I haven't been able to do much research on resitting as I fell ill in August and have now been forced to pull out of the October exams I planned on sitting. I was just wondering if you must have a tutor and how they were able to give you predicted grades as I don't want to go back to my school. (sorry for the super long message)
Original post by najji

depends on the school or college
Original post by najji
Medecine with predicted
A*A B

has she already applied? the deadline was 15th october. there are options for her, e.g. leicester accepts A*AB and places accept AAB if she's contextual anywhere. if she hasn't applied, make sure she does well in her actual A-level exams so she apply next year
Original post by Rainbowfish1503
Hi,
I am planning on retaking my A Levels too as I wasn't happy with my current CAGs. I haven't been able to do much research on resitting as I fell ill in August and have now been forced to pull out of the October exams I planned on sitting. I was just wondering if you must have a tutor and how they were able to give you predicted grades as I don't want to go back to my school. (sorry for the super long message)

No worries :smile: So I would personally recommend getting tutors because if you are not going back to school it will be really difficult to revise and prepare by yourself unless you know you are capable.

The reason why I got tutors is that due to COVID schools closed and we were left to learn the rest of yr13 ourselves which I can tell you now I couldn't learn at home as it just wasn't a great environment and I didn't understand anything because we were left with minimum resources. However, this doesn't mean you HAVE to get tutors you can revise by yourself but just in case of exams were to be cancelled or something happens again at least you have proof of your level of work and a tutor who can give you what you deserve instead of being stuck in a loop.

What I am trying to say is that if you do it by yourself and exams get cancelled you wouldn't have sat any mocks/test to show that your capable of getting A/A*s if that's what you want and you would have to wait till October and sit exams and start uni the next year which I don't think you would want to do. So I say enrol yourself at a centre that provides tuition and allows you to sit exams there as well and pay for both tuition and the exam sitting fee now because you don't want to leave it till late where spaces are going to be full and you will regret it. You should look for exam centres RIGHT NOW and call them don't bother emailing them just call them because it's easier if you talk to them and explain your situation rather than sending a long email that they might see weeks later.

The way I am predicted my grades is that my tutors set us test every 2/3 weeks so we can see our progress and where we are and then later in the year like around December time we will start doing mocks and more exams and so if exams were to be cancelled ( unlikely but I thought the same last time lol) your centre can send off all your work and tests that you have done to show that you are capable of getting the highest grades. Hope this helps sorry if I kind of don't make sense I am writing this in a hurry I am late to gym. BYE good luck :smile:
No worries :smile: So I would personally recommend getting tutors because if you are not going back to school it will be really difficult to revise and prepare by yourself unless you know you are capable.

The reason why I got tutors is that due to COVID schools closed and we were left to learn the rest of yr13 ourselves which I can tell you now I couldn't learn at home as it just wasn't a great environment and I didn't understand anything because we were left with minimum resources. However, this doesn't mean you HAVE to get tutors you can revise by yourself but just in case of exams were to be cancelled or something happens again at least you have proof of your level of work and a tutor who can give you what you deserve instead of being stuck in a loop.

What I am trying to say is that if you do it by yourself and exams get cancelled you wouldn't have sat any mocks/test to show that your capable of getting A/A*s if that's what you want and you would have to wait till October and sit exams and start uni the next year which I don't think you would want to do. So I say enrol yourself at a centre that provides tuition and allows you to sit exams there as well and pay for both tuition and the exam sitting fee now because you don't want to leave it till late where spaces are going to be full and you will regret it. You should look for exam centres RIGHT NOW and call them don't bother emailing them just call them because it's easier if you talk to them and explain your situation rather than sending a long email that they might see weeks later.

The way I am predicted my grades is that my tutors set us test every 2/3 weeks so we can see our progress and where we are and then later in the year like around December time we will start doing mocks and more exams and so if exams were to be cancelled ( unlikely but I thought the same last time lol) your centre can send off all your work and tests that you have done to show that you are capable of getting the highest grades. Hope this helps sorry if I kind of don't make sense I am writing this in a hurry I am late to gym. BYE good luck :smile:

Hope you have a good gym session, I also need to register for exams but do you have any idea how long this process takes too finalise? And also would i be able to call colleges now if half term break has begun?
Original post by zeroeight
Hope you have a good gym session, I also need to register for exams but do you have any idea how long this process takes too finalise? And also would i be able to call colleges now if half term break has begun?

Thank you I had a great session. Well, for me I called an exam centre and they sent me the payment invoice and I paid straight away and it was finalised when I paid and then I started my tuition lessons straight away as well. However, I am not sure if this is the same for all places but you can always ring and have a check. Colleges and schools are not closed yet they will be closing this Friday. You should call or email them do both just because you don't want to delay everything. Hope this was helpful but yeah just make sure to do everything early and be organised. :smile: Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending