The Student Room Group

Taking amitriptyline and antidepressants

Went to doctors today because my legs are burning and twitching at night and I can’t get to sleep in general so she gave me amitriptyline (10mg). I’m on sertraline, 150mg. Will it interfere?
As long as a pharmacist gave you it then its fine. Doctors try to check but slip up, thats why pharmacists exist. (I don't know but its probably safe?)
Reply 2
Original post by Ferrograd
Went to doctors today because my legs are burning and twitching at night and I can’t get to sleep in general so she gave me amitriptyline (10mg). I’m on sertraline, 150mg. Will it interfere?

it should say on the insert, otherwise ask the doc/pharmacist. From taking that combo before, no, they dont bar making you tired.
Were these given for RLS by any chance? In which case sertraline makes it worse.
Original post by Napp
it should say on the insert, otherwise ask the doc/pharmacist. From taking that combo before, no, they dont bar making you tired.
Were these given for RLS by any chance? In which case sertraline makes it worse.

Oh really? Yeah they didn’t tell me I had RLS but I think I probably do based on what I told them. I’ve taken the amitryphaline and it had eased my legs but still have them jerk around a little bit.
Reply 4
Oh really? Yeah they didn’t tell me I had RLS but I think I probably do based on what I told them. I’ve taken the amitryphaline and it had eased my legs but still have them jerk around a little bit.

You might not, many things cause jerking in the legs, RLS is more a diagnosis of exclusion than anything else given they still dont really know what causes it, except a lackj of iron in some cases.
If such symptoms persist though it might be worth asking the doctor about it - usually confirmed by a declaration of your problem, an blood panel and sleep study - as its not an overly fun condition.

Best of luck in any event though :smile:
Original post by Napp
You might not, many things cause jerking in the legs, RLS is more a diagnosis of exclusion than anything else given they still dont really know what causes it, except a lackj of iron in some cases.
If such symptoms persist though it might be worth asking the doctor about it - usually confirmed by a declaration of your problem, an blood panel and sleep study - as its not an overly fun condition.

Best of luck in any event though :smile:

I can’t help but feel it might be lack of iron or vitamin d or something like that as I previously had joint pain when I was lacking in vitamin d. Also even when I do sleep right now I get incredibly tired and fatigued in the day even when I do nothing like I nap in the afternoon when I never used to
Reply 6
I can’t help but feel it might be lack of iron or vitamin d or something like that as I previously had joint pain when I was lacking in vitamin d. Also even when I do sleep right now I get incredibly tired and fatigued in the day even when I do nothing like I nap in the afternoon when I never used to

Quite possibly, im no doctor, however i do know enough on the topic that lack of iron can be an ass if its the cause aha. Cant hurt to get an iron panel done, infuisions are easy to get and for those who do have low iron (e.g. those whose count is in the 20's) find it to be a magic bullet for their ailments

Quick Reply

Latest