The Student Room Group

Self-harm: tattoo coverup or laser removal

I have a lot of scarring on my left forearm from mental health issues 10 years ago.

I want to do something about it but don't know what. My choices are laser removal or tattoo over the area. I don't know what would be the better option. I want to be a clinical psychologist so not a job I need to show my forearms for.

Has anyone had laser removal? Is it very effective or still obvious? I want the best coverup.
I know someone who has wanted to get laser removal for her SH scars and was told that it would only make them look worse, so I suspect it all depends on what kind of scars you have and it may be worth having a consultation in a clinic to see what they think. From before and after photos I have seen online, scars are still visible after laser treatment so I think I personally would go for tattoos to cover them up.
I’ve seen very nice tattoo cover ups. (Ex) Self-harmers do then to make a mental note of left forearm tattoos though. I guess it depends on what’s motivating you to hide your arms. A tattoo could distract Joe Bloggs.
Reply 3
Original post by black tea
I know someone who has wanted to get laser removal for her SH scars and was told that it would only make them look worse, so I suspect it all depends on what kind of scars you have and it may be worth having a consultation in a clinic to see what they think. From before and after photos I have seen online, scars are still visible after laser treatment so I think I personally would go for tattoos to cover them up.

Oh I didn't know that could be the case. I only recently decided to do something about the scars so I haven't spoken to either a laser or tattoo person yet. How visible out of 10 would you say the scars are after laser treatment? I have about 150 scars....erm yeah, it's pretty extensive.
Reply 4
Original post by Cancelled Alice
I’ve seen very nice tattoo cover ups. (Ex) Self-harmers do then to make a mental note of left forearm tattoos though. I guess it depends on what’s motivating you to hide your arms. A tattoo could distract Joe Bloggs.

I'm just sick of people thinking I'm this crazy person. Plus with the career I want to go into I don't necessarily want to show my patients my scars as they are personal. I've seen some very good coverups too. There's a tattoo place in a city near me that does coverups for people in my situation so I plan on talking to them but in all honesty I think I would just like my arm to go back to normal no laser or tattoo but I mucked that one up :frown: so I want the one that looks best as a second best.
Original post by Anonymous
Oh I didn't know that could be the case. I only recently decided to do something about the scars so I haven't spoken to either a laser or tattoo person yet. How visible out of 10 would you say the scars are after laser treatment? I have about 150 scars....erm yeah, it's pretty extensive.

Hard to say as it's different for different people. Have a look on google for some before and after photos.
Reply 6
Original post by black tea
Hard to say as it's different for different people. Have a look on google for some before and after photos.

They all look very good on google images. :confused: So do the tattoos though....
Most of my old SH scars are on my calves (and a few on my shoulder) so I can cover them up well. I do have two large ones on my forearm though that are still quite red and raised. They have faded considerably though, I feel like a tattoo could draw more attention to them than just leaving them.

I think it depends on the placement really, and also how raised etc they are. With a lot of tattoos you can still see the scars if they are quite bumpy.
I think surgery is also an option for really raised ones, to cut out the scar and make it a much thinner line. I may pursue that for my arm eventually I will see how they look in a few years

Best of luck OP :hugs:
Reply 8
Original post by CoolCavy
Most of my old SH scars are on my calves (and a few on my shoulder) so I can cover them up well. I do have two large ones on my forearm though that are still quite red and raised. They have faded considerably though, I feel like a tattoo could draw more attention to them than just leaving them.

I think it depends on the placement really, and also how raised etc they are. With a lot of tattoos you can still see the scars if they are quite bumpy.
I think surgery is also an option for really raised ones, to cut out the scar and make it a much thinner line. I may pursue that for my arm eventually I will see how they look in a few years

Best of luck OP :hugs:

They are 12 years old so as healed as they're going to get I think. Most aren't very raised. I also read that surgery can cause tightness in the skin so I'm worried about that. I have looked at some tattoos and they do an amazing job of hiding the scars but then so do the vast majority of images on google for laser treatment. It's like people aren't showing the bad results.

Quick Reply

Latest