The Student Room Group

Left out a failed grade on UCAS

I've left out a failed grade on my ucas application. I understand what UCAS says about putting on unsuccessful grades - you should do it. However I want people honestly to tell me what might happen. Am I being overdramatic? Will universities just contact me and ask me to correct it, or will they fully withdraw my application?

Scroll to see replies

Why don't you just call UCAS and ask to add it?
Not being in admissions I only know as much as you, i.e it can be counted as a fraudulent application and any place you achieve may be denied afterwards. I imagine it depends on the qualification and it's relevance to your course but is it worth the risk?
Maybe we could ask @McGinger
Original post by myguyboomer699
I've left out a failed grade on my ucas application. I understand what UCAS says about putting on unsuccessful grades - you should do it. However I want people honestly to tell me what might happen. Am I being overdramatic? Will universities just contact me and ask me to correct it, or will they fully withdraw my application?

Worst case = exclusion from this years application cycle. Including clearing.

Is that guaranteed to happen? No. But why risk it? Unis don’t care about the one stray grade and many won’t even look at your GCSE’s beyond Eng and Maths.

Use the UCAS amendment form to get it added AND email your choices about the change.
Original post by Admit-One
Worst case = exclusion from this years application cycle. Including clearing.

Is that guaranteed to happen? No. But why risk it? Unis don’t care about the one stray grade and many won’t even look at your GCSE’s beyond Eng and Maths.

Use the UCAS amendment form to get it added AND email your choices about the change.

I am worried about bringing their attention to something like this which might not even matter at all. Unis don't want people that make mistakes. This shows I've made a mistake, and may be perceived as sloppy / clumsy. Even if they do notice, I'm not sure if they would mind or not.
I am worried about bringing their attention to something like this which might not even matter at all. Unis don't want people that make mistakes. This shows I've made a mistake, and may be perceived as sloppy / clumsy. Even if they do notice, I'm not sure if they would mind or not.

Has anyone heard of any instances where this has been a problem / has happened and didn't end up being significant at all?
Original post by Nobody2u
Why don't you just call UCAS and ask to add it?
Not being in admissions I only know as much as you, i.e it can be counted as a fraudulent application and any place you achieve may be denied afterwards. I imagine it depends on the qualification and it's relevance to your course but is it worth the risk?
Maybe we could ask @McGinger

I still meet all the requirements. I don't understand why they say you must include unsuccessful grades - they want qualifications, and an unsuccessful grade means you aren't qualified. This is what I was thinking when I did it. Now after all my work I'm concerned that I have ruined everything.

No, uni's don't think that way.

They will care that you have omitted something from your education history. (It calls into question everything else you have input.) Correcting an error because you incorrectly thought a failed module didn't need to be entered is a good thing and a relatively common amendment.

Don't risk getting booted from the application cycle over something so inconsequential. But note that your uni choices decide that, not you.

Here's the form, don't forget to email the unis directly once completed.

https://www.ucas.com/forms/request-amend-qualifications-listed-your-application
Has anyone heard of any instances where this has been a problem / has happened and didn't end up being significant at all?

You are looking for anecdotal evidence to justify not making the amendment. If you tried hard enough you could find someone that outright lied on their application and got in, that doesn't mean it was worth the risk.
I still meet all the requirements. I don't understand why they say you must include unsuccessful grades - they want qualifications, and an unsuccessful grade means you aren't qualified. This is what I was thinking when I did it. Now after all my work I'm concerned that I have ruined everything.

UCAS's guidance is really clear about this.

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/filling-your-ucas-undergraduate-application

"You must enter all your qualifications from secondary education onwards"

All qualifications. Not successful grades, (and you don't determine what that is, the uni does). All qualifications.

Universities like students in whom they can have trust. Omitting a grade on purpose indicates that they can not trust you. If you fulfill all the entrance requirements it shouldn't matter that you failed an exam at some point so just do the honest thing and amend your application!
(edited 2 years ago)
Unis don't want people that make mistakes. This shows I've made a mistake, and may be perceived as sloppy / clumsy. Even if they do notice, I'm not sure if they would mind or not.

And leaving it out shows that you are a liar. Which do you think they will prefer? (and yes, they will know). You did make a mistake. That ship has sailed. All you can do now is show them what sort of a person you are when it comes to acknowledging and dealing with the mistakes you make. No university in the country is thinking that you are never going to make any.

I do think you're taking a big risk if you assume it won't make a difference because they don't care about the result itself. If they end up with way too many achieved offers like they have the last couple of years because of grade inflation, chances are they'll be looking to reject anyone who actually doesn't meet the requirements, simply to avoid playing sardines. That's you, if your reported qualifications don't match your qualifications on the list they get from UCAS.

If it was me, I'd tell them.
Original post by skylark2
And leaving it out shows that you are a liar. Which do you think they will prefer? (and yes, they will know). You did make a mistake. That ship has sailed. All you can do now is show them what sort of a person you are when it comes to acknowledging and dealing with the mistakes you make. No university in the country is thinking that you are never going to make any.

I do think you're taking a big risk if you assume it won't make a difference because they don't care about the result itself. If they end up with way too many achieved offers like they have the last couple of years because of grade inflation, chances are they'll be looking to reject anyone who actually doesn't meet the requirements, simply to avoid playing sardines. That's you, if your reported qualifications don't match your qualifications on the list they get from UCAS.

If it was me, I'd tell them.

Universities like students in whom they can have trust. Omitting a grade on purpose indicates that they can not trust you. If you fulfill all the entrance requirements it shouldn't matter that you failed an exam at some point so just do the honest thing and amend your application!

No, uni's don't think that way.

They will care that you have omitted something from your education history. (It calls into question everything else you have input.) Correcting an error because you incorrectly thought a failed module didn't need to be entered is a good thing and a relatively common amendment.

Don't risk getting booted from the application cycle over something so inconsequential. But note that your uni choices decide that, not you.

Here's the form, don't forget to email the unis directly once completed.

https://www.ucas.com/forms/request-amend-qualifications-listed-your-application

I have put it right. I used the form. Now contacting the admissions team for each university. Thank you all for your help. Can't lie I am nervous, I have done interviews for some of my universities already, so I am worried about the concept of them inviting me to interview while this mistake was already there. I am very scared, I've worked really hard, so I just hope everything is alright. At the end of the day, honesty and integrity is important.
I have put it right. I used the form. Now contacting the admissions team for each university. Thank you all for your help. Can't lie I am nervous, I have done interviews for some of my universities already, so I am worried about the concept of them inviting me to interview while this mistake was already there. I am very scared, I've worked really hard, so I just hope everything is alright. At the end of the day, honesty and integrity is important.

If your profile was good enough to be interviewed, they’re not going to mind about a stray grade. I know it’s it’s difficult, but don’t stress, it was the right thing to declare it and avoid them spotting it later.
If your profile was good enough to be interviewed, they’re not going to mind about a stray grade. I know it’s it’s difficult, but don’t stress, it was the right thing to declare it and avoid them spotting it later.

Thank you that is reassuring. This was my thinking, unless the failed grade would of originally deterred them against interviewing me. I have contacted them all simply informing them of the missing grade and that I have contacted UCAS to amend it. Hopefully it will be simply a "no worries, thank you for letting us know". However, this was my mistake, and therefore I should suffer the consequences of making such a ridiculous mistake.
Reply 13

Yes, I know a student who was rejected from a university because he hadn't declared a C in GCSE Short course PE, The university didn't care what he got in the GCSE but they DID care that he had been dishonest, This was for medicine, other courses may not be as picky - but why not just be honest and own up?
Original post by EOData
Yes, I know a student who was rejected from a university because he hadn't declared a C in GCSE Short course PE, The university didn't care what he got in the GCSE but they DID care that he had been dishonest, This was for medicine, other courses may not be as picky - but why not just be honest and own

I've informed the universities. I don't understand why he wouldn't include a C. Only reason I did not include this grade was because a fail isn't a qualification, so when listing 'qualifications' I didn't think it was something you should list. I've now corrected it. My intention was never to be devious or deceive the universities. I just simply didn't realise. My fault for not reading the fine print. I've corrected it now, so I'm not sure if they are going to reject me for being careless / making this mistake.
I've informed the universities. I don't understand why he wouldn't include a C. Only reason I did not include this grade was because a fail isn't a qualification, so when listing 'qualifications' I didn't think it was something you should list. I've now corrected it. My intention was never to be devious or deceive the universities. I just simply didn't realise. My fault for not reading the fine print. I've corrected it now, so I'm not sure if they are going to reject me for being careless / making this mistake.

I can't believe you get rejected for being careless, you get rejected for being dishonest or because of a grade. It's in the universities hands now but you made the right decision.
I can't believe you get rejected for being careless, you get rejected for being dishonest or because of a grade. It's in the universities hands now but you made the right decision.

Yeah. Do you think I have caught this too late? In the middle of interviews now.
Yeah. Do you think I have caught this too late? In the middle of interviews now.

I'm not in a position to know, but I feel you did the right thing and hopefully the universities will see it that way as well.
URGENT!!! I’m in the same position as you and would appreciate to know how that U grade affected you as I got that in one of my GCSEs. (Was your failed grade in a gcse too?)

I’m in the same position as you as I received a U grade on one of my GCSEs (it was an anomaly) I though the same as you and would really appreciate if you could let me know how it affected you

Latest

Trending

Trending