The Student Room Group

I'm so disappointed with my university experience

I'm studying at the University of York I'm in my third year of a four-year course with no out with something comparable to the three years.
I feel the department has truly let me down, between strikes there have been complete absences from academics and a lack of support for some modules.
My time here has been completely controlled by the pandemic which has meant I have been unable to make as many bonds as I hoped, we missed out on lab time and watched lectures from previous years. The people on my course are a mix of excited about the subject and just here as a thing to do. About 30% of people show up to timetabled events (lectures workshops etc) and when the absent members show their faces all they do is complain. I have tried for a long time to remain optimistic about everything as I think that's more likely to have a positive effect, and I think this negativity from my classmates has actively made the course worse but I'm struggling to hold that attitude.
I really hoped to find people at university like me, excited, driven, and hold a range of interests but by chance, the pandemic, and some of my own mistakes I have mostly found people here to be dull and uninspired. I feel it's led me to lose myself a bit without people to bounce off.
I feel I've had time and money stolen from me both by the pandemic and the university - which refuses to offer any acknowledgment that things weren't as promised let alone compensation for it. I had the grades to go pretty much anywhere and I chose here for the city and the 'vibe' I got from the place when visiting which is what I thought I wanted but I have not been able to enjoy either. I feel like crying much of the time in grief of the experiences and time I've lost compared to friends who studied elsewhere/ at different times.
Maybe have a look at transferring unis at the end of the year?
Original post by ashvinsingh
Maybe have a look at transferring unis at the end of the year?

Thanks I've tried really hard on that front but I cannot transfer my credits and otherwise finishing this year will mean that I'm not accredited which would be an issue.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks I've tried really hard on that front but I cannot transfer my credits and otherwise finishing this year will mean that I'm not accredited which would be an issue.

I would say try ignore the people who don’t take it seriously, surely there are some people that are hardworking and passionate
I am sorry that this has been your experience, the pandemic changed the way universities were operating, and obviously affected how people acted too. Things seem to be getting more back to normal now, and seeing as you've just got one year left, why not try make the most of it? York is a great city, I can see why you chose the uni for the city, so if you haven't had the time to properly enjoy it, perhaps try and reinvigorate yourself and pretend your last year is your first year, and give it your all. Explore the city, join societies, start a group chat for the people who are passionate about the course, or find an extracurricular activity you enjoy - perhaps something you haven't done before, like learning to play an instrument or painting. You just need to do something to bring your spark back.

Perhaps also speak to your universities wellbeing team. They likely hold helpful workshops, and you would be able to meet others through this too. You can also use TogetherAll, an online anonymous community, where you can share your experiences and feelings and get advice and support <3 https://togetherall.com/en-gb/

I truly hope you have a better experience in your final year and find those people to bounce off of.

- Rosie
Original post by hallamstudents
I am sorry that this has been your experience, the pandemic changed the way universities were operating, and obviously affected how people acted too. Things seem to be getting more back to normal now, and seeing as you've just got one year left, why not try make the most of it? York is a great city, I can see why you chose the uni for the city, so if you haven't had the time to properly enjoy it, perhaps try and reinvigorate yourself and pretend your last year is your first year, and give it your all. Explore the city, join societies, start a group chat for the people who are passionate about the course, or find an extracurricular activity you enjoy - perhaps something you haven't done before, like learning to play an instrument or painting. You just need to do something to bring your spark back.

Perhaps also speak to your universities wellbeing team. They likely hold helpful workshops, and you would be able to meet others through this too. You can also use TogetherAll, an online anonymous community, where you can share your experiences and feelings and get advice and support

I truly hope you have a better experience in your final year and find those people to bounce off of.

- Rosie

Thanks Rosie. I've tried so much of that, especially since Christmas, I do so much outside of the course both related and unrelated for myself. I tried a few societies and stuck with two but in the end, both have some of the same problems as my course and have very few socials. The biggest problem with the course is that people are right to complain (although not as much as they do) the department has really let us down both during the pandemic and since even those of us that are passionate about the material and like the lecturers have to admit it. I really hate to just be negative, for the most part, I consider myself an optimist and that's probably what kept me here until now despite warning signs, but I now feel stuck with the course and university with no way out for another year. The advice I hear for the large part is 'the worst is behind you just keep going' but I don't know how to see my university experience being described as 'the worst part' as a positive, I was promised so much about this period of my life and feel though I have received very little of it.
Thank you again for the advice I do plan to continue to do more, but I think my biggest problem is that this university isn't a great fit for me and that I will never be able to remake that choice.
Original post by Anonymous
I have not been able to enjoy either. I feel like crying much of the time in grief

Grieving for a loss of someone? Sorry if you are.That probably will be part of the reason why.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending