The Student Room Group

UCAS Extra 2022

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by McGinger
There are plenty of other ways into marketing as a career - do some searching on here - https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/
You can always do a degree later, if you feel you need it.

I defo want to go to uni. Might consider a gap year.
Original post by R4V
I defo want to go to uni. Might consider a gap year.

The first and most important thing to say is not to rely on rankings. These change yearly and depend on things like student satisfaction. If you get a few students who werent happy with their grade this will skew the result. It really isnt a sensible way of looking at things. Employers dont care about which university you go to and the only people who look at them are prospective students. They are used to sell newspapers have different criteria and wont tell you if the university or course is right for you.

Have a look first of all for the universities where you will meet the grades including the GCSE Maths grade. If you dont meet the Maths grade you wont get in. When you have done that ask yourself is this somewhere I can settle and whether the course content is right for you. In extra you are applying for 1 university. If a university still has places open and you meet ALL the entry criteria you are likely to get an offer. Nobody can guarantee this but universities want to fill places. Otherwise they lose money so if they find a suitable student that is money they gain instead of losing.

What is worth noting is that Southampton require grade 6 GCSE Maths unless you have an A level grade B in certain subjects.

RG universities dont tend to specialize in Marketing or Business courses. If you are looking at them look for a more traditional subject.
The key issue is to do proper research and find a university you meet the requirements and is suited to you not one based on artificial rankings or reputation.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 82
Original post by swanseajack1
The first and most important thing to say is not to rely on rankings. These change yearly and depend on things like student satisfaction. If you get a few students who werent happy with their grade this will skew the result. It really isnt a sensible way of looking at things. Employers dont care about which university you go to and the only people who look at them are prospective students. They are used to sell newspapers have different criteria and wont tell you if the university or course is right for you.

Have a look first of all for the universities where you will meet the grades including the GCSE Maths grade. If you dont meet the Maths grade you wont get in. When you have done that ask yourself is this somewhere I can settle and whether the course content is right for you. In extra you are applying for 1 university. If a university still has places open and you meet ALL the entry criteria you are likely to get an offer. Nobody can guarantee this but universities want to fill places. Otherwise they lose money so if they find a suitable student that is money they gain instead of losing.

The key issue is to do proper research and find a university you meet the requirements and is suited to you not one based on artificial rankings or reputation.

Thanks for your in put.

So I’ve found a few unis (leeds,Southampton) which are my top choices. I meet the gcse maths grade for leeds and although I don’t meet their A level entry requirements I do meet them for the contextual offer. I’ve seen that Southampton is on clearing so it’s worth a shot and on their contextual offer they say they will accept as low as a 4 in gcse maths so long as I get a B in business which I think is a achievable.

Leeds isn’t on clearing this year but overall that is my dream uni to go to. If exams go well and I get ABB or higher I’ll take a year out and apply to leeds next year and gain an unconditional.

My other options are reading, Leicester and aston all of which I meet the grade requirements for both gcse maths and a levels. Their contextual offers all go down to BBC which is definitely achievable.

My question is… once I use extra I apply to 1 uni at a time and wait to hear back. If I get an offer from them can i still apply to others as backups? So if I apply to Southampton after my exams finish (16th June) and I get an offer from them can I still apply to reading incase my grades on results day are below Southamptons ABB they require?

Basically my plan is:
Smash these exams
Reject my current offers and enter ucas extra
Apply to Southampton… wait a reply
Apply to reading… wait a reply
Apply to Leicester/Aston… wait a reply
Once I heard back then I know my options. Once its results day I know exactly where I can and can’t go.

My only worry is will the unis reply in time before extra shuts on the 3rd or 4th july.

In addition with the unlikey event that I need to go for an interview… I’m not going to be in the country from mid July till 15th august.

What do you think? I’ve managed to narrow quite a few unis down by modules.
no it doesnt work like that. Extra is putting students who dont have places with universities that have spaces. You have to reject all your current offers. You then apply to 1 university and you dont have an insurance in extra. If you get an offer you either accept it or reject it. If you accept it that is where you are going so long as you meet your grades. If you get rejected you can apply for another. Same with you rejecting an offer.

Basically you cant have your cake and eat it. You take a chance and keep going 1 by 1 until you accept an offer.

In practice if you meet all the conditions you will likely get an offer as it is in the interest of the university as well. Ideally you will be certain of where you want to go and will accept the offer. If you get the grades you get in. If a uni rejects you then you use clearing,
Reply 84
no it doesnt work like that. Extra is putting students who dont have places with universities that have spaces. You have to reject all your current offers. You then apply to 1 university and you dont have an insurance in extra. If you get an offer you either accept it or reject it. If you accept it that is where you are going so long as you meet your grades. If you get rejected you can apply for another. Same with you rejecting an offer.

Basically you cant have your cake and eat it. You take a chance and keep going 1 by 1 until you accept an offer.

In practice if you meet all the conditions you will likely get an offer as it is in the interest of the university as well. Ideally you will be certain of where you want to go and will accept the offer. If you get the grades you get in. If a uni rejects you then you use clearing,

Okey thanks,
in clearing I can’t get contextual admissions? If I was try to apply to Southampton via extra and let’s say get an offer then I will just have to try to meet their grades. If I don’t meet it on results day I’ll have to go through clearing to other unis?

Basically at this point I want to get into Southampton via extra. If I get an offer then great I just hope my results meet it. If I’m rejected then I will apply to reading uni via extra. Or if I don’t meet the grades for Southampton on results day I’ll have to call up reading to see if they take me… however their normal offer is ABB (contextual is BBC) and if I don’t get the results it’s probably because I’ve got ABC which still makes me fall short since they don’t give contextual offers during clearing?
Reply 85
I want to study business with marketing or just marketing.

The places with a typical offer I can get into with current predicted grades and gcse grades are: reading, aston, Leicester.

The places where I can get into with contextual offers and gcse grades are: leeds (my dream uni but I have to apply next year)

The other option where I can get into with contextual offer but meet the contextual gcse grades are: Southampton.

As a result my top choices are:
Leeds (have to wait till next year & meet all criteria via contextual)
Southampton (meet all criteria via contextual)
Reading (meet all criteria even for typical offer)
Aston (meet all criteria even for typical offer)
Leicester (meet all criteria even for typical offer)

Ps I’m stuck choosing reading, aston or Leicester. I like all the modules… all are top 30. However reading and aston are triple accredited whereas Leicester isn’t. aston is pretty unknown and small but it’s in Birmingham city centre which I think I’ll like. Reading is very well known and reputable however I’m not so sure On the area it seems kinda dead. As for Leicester it’s in the city, I like the modules there the most but it’s less accredited and I know you said ignore rankings but it’s lower ranked.
Original post by R4V
I want to study business with marketing or just marketing.

The places with a typical offer I can get into with current predicted grades and gcse grades are: reading, aston, Leicester.

The places where I can get into with contextual offers and gcse grades are: leeds (my dream uni but I have to apply next year)

The other option where I can get into with contextual offer but meet the contextual gcse grades are: Southampton.

As a result my top choices are:
Leeds (have to wait till next year & meet all criteria via contextual)
Southampton (meet all criteria via contextual)
Reading (meet all criteria even for typical offer)
Aston (meet all criteria even for typical offer)
Leicester (meet all criteria even for typical offer)

Ps I’m stuck choosing reading, aston or Leicester. I like all the modules… all are top 30. However reading and aston are triple accredited whereas Leicester isn’t. aston is pretty unknown and small but it’s in Birmingham city centre which I think I’ll like. Reading is very well known and reputable however I’m not so sure On the area it seems kinda dead. As for Leicester it’s in the city, I like the modules there the most but it’s less accredited and I know you said ignore rankings but it’s lower ranked.

Aston isntunknown and small, It has over 15,000 students a wel known medical school and a popular business school. Reading also has a well known business centre. Stop looking at rankings and read more into these universities. Aston is Birmingham's 2nd university and is part of a huge city. Reading is a much smaller city and the campus is outside the city. Look into things fully and decide what you want or take a gap year and apply to Leeds. Just a word of warning Leeds have been rejecting people this year whose grades met the entry standard due to demand.
Reply 87
Aston isntunknown and small, It has over 15,000 students a wel known medical school and a popular business school. Reading also has a well known business centre. Stop looking at rankings and read more into these universities. Aston is Birmingham's 2nd university and is part of a huge city. Reading is a much smaller city and the campus is outside the city. Look into things fully and decide what you want or take a gap year and apply to Leeds. Just a word of warning Leeds have been rejecting people this year whose grades met the entry standard due to demand.

I’ve looked into it but I really can’t pick between the two or even Leicester infact. I know I definitely want the hustle and bustle of the city but I also want a reputable uni that I can be proud to say I went. I think I’m just going to do my exams and see how I find the unis. I know leeds has been super popular it’s a stretch to be able to go there but if not Southampton is my next best bet. I just really don’t want to go to the wrong uni that will limit me.
Original post by R4V
I’ve looked into it but I really can’t pick between the two or even Leicester infact. I know I definitely want the hustle and bustle of the city but I also want a reputable uni that I can be proud to say I went. I think I’m just going to do my exams and see how I find the unis. I know leeds has been super popular it’s a stretch to be able to go there but if not Southampton is my next best bet. I just really don’t want to go to the wrong uni that will limit me.

Nobody caan really help you further. It boils down to personal choice.
Reply 89
I’m just gonna go have a look at all 4 unis on a massive roadtrip. I really can’t decide it’s driving me insane
What does it mean by unsuccessful application
Hello ,

I applied to mmu since April I’m yet to get an offer , I tried tracking my application on ,”it wrote Applications unsuccessful and C0ACEF27-CF13-4C78-88A1-9A9FAFB40179.pngthat , I’m confused
can you reapply to kings using ucas extra if you didn't get an offer in the first place and rejected the rest of your offers?
Original post by LilGoat7
Has anyone applied to kings (for pharmacy) in extra? Any response at all? I'm aware that their admin can be slow but this is getting too close to the deadline now
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 93
Original post by anonymous2510
can you reapply to kings using ucas extra if you didn't get an offer in the first place and rejected the rest of your offers?

I am told by someone else that you cannot reapply to a course/institution that has already rejected you but it is worth consulting
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by anonymous2510

If they didnt want you then - sorry, but they still wont want you now.

'Which Uni' does not matter for Pharmacy - the NHS wont care where you trained as long you are qualified.
Other Unis are stiil taking applications.
Reply 95
Original post by McGinger
If they didnt want you then - sorry, but they still wont want you now.

'Which Uni' does not matter for Pharmacy - the NHS wont care where you trained as long you are qualified.
Other Unis are stiil taking applications.

If you are set on the university in particular try your luck in clearing?
Is anyone aware of any integrated foundation year courses for computer science or software enginnering at a top russel group uni?
Original post by tecna
Is anyone aware of any integrated foundation year courses for computer science or software enginnering at a top russel group uni?

Ucas course search will tell you this
Original post by tecna

Have you looked on UCAS Search - https://digital.ucas.com/search

Search for 'Computer Science' - then on the next page, ue the # Filter at the top, then on the next page scroll down to 'courses with vacancies' and select any other filters (especially 'where do you live' for fee status'). Any course with 'FD' and not 'BSc' etc will be a Foundation. Once you have found a course (s) check the entry requirements on the Unis own website and you will need to contact the Unis on Moday to double-check it os still open before actually applying. Yes, ther are some FD still open but you could also look at the other courses with very low entry requirements. RG Unis tend not to have Foundation courses - you will need to be more flexible about the Uni you go to - or retake your A levels etc.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi thanks for starting this thread, I have gotten 5 offers but I want to change offers but I have passed the 14 day deadline a looong time ago. I am wondering if I can apply to 2 other unis, or swap choices?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending