The Student Room Group

Clearing 2022

Can I apply to a University that has given me a conditional offer, but i have not gotten enough grades, through UCAS Clearing for the same course??
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by tvdvampire
Can I apply to a University that has given me a conditional offer, but i have not gotten enough grades, through UCAS Clearing for the same course??

No the university will have considered whether to accept you with lower grades before rejecting you. In practice it is unlikely a university will be in clearing anyway with your grades or lower.

Basically what happens is that anybody who meets an offer is automatically accept. The university then looks whether it still has places to fill after that. If it still has places they have to decide whether to accept applicants with missed grades or to go into clearing. If they decide to go for clearing it will for grades above missed grades. If they are accepting lower grades it would make sense to accept someone who has just missed a grade as that is someone who would definitely go there rather than the risk of a place not being filled.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
No the university will have considered whether to accept you with lower grades before rejecting you. In practice it is unlikely a university will be in clearing anyway with your grades or lower.

Basically what happens is that anybody who meets an offer is automatically accept. The university then looks whether it still has places to fill after that. If it still has places they have to decide whether to accept applicants with missed grades or to go into clearing. If they decide to go for clearing it will for grades above missed grades. If they are accepting lower grades it would make sense to accept someone who has just missed a grade as that is someone who would definitely go there rather than the risk of a place not being filled.

Oh, I see... So we better have to choose another uni which can accept our grades through clearing right?

So the universities can make us an exception sometimes by accepting if the grade is lower than the conditional offer, right?

Whenever I ask my doubts to teachers they say answers unclearly and I don't really know many people who went to uni in the UK.
A university will never accept lower grades in clearing than they would have accepted from applicants that picked them as firm choice.
“Firm” applicants are more likely to succeed on a course with lower grades than clearing applicants who have picked that university/course in a rush.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
A university will never accept lower grades in clearing than they would have accepted from applicants that picked them as firm choice.
“Firm” applicants are more likely to succeed on a course with lower grades than clearing applicants who have picked that university/course in a rush.

thank you so much.
Original post by tvdvampire
Oh, I see... So we better have to choose another uni which can accept our grades through clearing right?

So the universities can make us an exception sometimes by accepting if the grade is lower than the conditional offer, right?

Whenever I ask my doubts to teachers they say answers unclearly and I don't really know many people who went to uni in the UK.

The key issue is that universities sometime accept students with missed grades but wont know until the results of other students.

It used to be fairly common to accept 1 dropped grade and sometimes 2 but that was before the grade inflation of the last l of years.

For very competitive courses and universities it is less likely of those accepting lower grades. The chances for say Medicine or courses at places like Imperial or LSE the chances are extremely low..

Nobody can tell until the results are out.

If you are rejected in clearing you will need to look elsewhere.
Reply 6
Original post by swanseajack1
The key issue is that universities sometime accept students with missed grades but wont know until the results of other students.

It used to be fairly common to accept 1 dropped grade and sometimes 2 but that was before the grade inflation of the last l of years.

For very competitive courses and universities it is less likely of those accepting lower grades. The chances for say Medicine or courses at places like Imperial or LSE the chances are extremely low..

Nobody can tell until the results are out.

If you are rejected in clearing you will need to look elsewhere.

they have already reduced the grade boundary after the interview, my conditional offer for nursing said to get a C in Psychology or Biology because I have other 2 A-levels with As (currently doing year14).

I'm really concerned now because my grades are dropping and already took an extra year to do extra A-levels.
Nobody can tell until results are out but my suspicion is they wont drop lower than a C as it appears to be a key subject in your case. This is different say to someone being offered BBB and getting accepted with BBC.
Original post by PQ

I also received an unconditional offer from a university but if I don't get the grades I need would they accept me for a foundation year?
Original post by bhavya.p
I also received an unconditional offer from a university but if I don't get the grades I need would they accept me for a foundation year?

If your offer is unconditional then you don’t have any grades to get
I got ACC, Biology, Chemistry and Maths respectively. I applied for Econ and Finance but missed the grades for my firm and insurance. I went through clearing and the University of Leicester offered me a place on the 18th August, which i accepted within 24 hours. I hadn't had any confirmation from them in over a week so I called on Aug 26th. Only to be told that they require a B in Maths for clearing and are unable to offer me a place, I have been directed to their head of admissions but have been told there is nothing they can do. Based on the offer they gave me, I had declined a clearing space at the university of Sheffield so this last minute announcement has greatly jeopardised my chance of going to university this year. Is this practice in accordance to UCAS protocol, it seems very unfair and has been stressful for everyone involved.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending