The Student Room Group

Have you ever been insulted about your looks?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Original post by rachiriot
I don't know how to respond when people say things that nice to me :P I use the same DP everywhere. Thank youuu =D

I need to agree here. I'm a girl, and I can say you look incredible.

If you were ever bullied, it must have been out of spite.
Original post by Amelia-Babe
not really...i'm blessed with my looks + personality. Lucky me. :smile:

Maybe looks but definitely not personality.
Reply 442
I used to be insulted for the fact I dye my hair ginger and have a gap in my teeth when I was at secondary school. As soon as I got to college though, those were the two main things I was complimented on.
I'm ginger.

Yep, never had any nasty comments. Obvs.
Was called fat/chubby basically all through school.

Even though it was largely baby fat and I've lost most of it now, I still have a huge paranoia about this, feel perpetually uncomfortable in my body (even around my boyfriend) and get very depressed after eating any more a couple of large meals.
Original post by Yasmin25
I used to be insulted for the fact I dye my hair ginger and have a gap in my teeth when I was at secondary school. As soon as I got to college though, those were the two main things I was complimented on.

I had the same experience with my freckles. In secondary school everyone was like HAHA OMG FRECKLES, now people say they're cute :colonhash:
I grew up with this group of lads through school, and they've always teased about my chin. I have the Halls stubborn chin :frown: I used to be hurt but now I insult them back. It's more of a banter now. It's getting boring. Move on man.
Well...

I have long blond hair and was once taking a stroll in my aviator sunglasses (so I had the Californian bleach blond surfer look going) and a Vietnamese friend of mine saw me and said:

Him: "Holy **** if you were in a hot country you would look awesome!"

Me: "Awesome, thanks!"

Him: "Yeh if you were back in Vietnam you'd have no problem getting prostitutes. But now you're in Britian so you look like a complete tw*t!"

Wasn't sure what to think of it but it made me laugh so hard. I still wear those glasses.
(edited 10 years ago)
Some truly disgusting people on this planet. If you have nothing good to say to someone, why is it so hard to keep quiet? I feel so sad when i read posts where people talk about being treated like crap because of their physical appearance. Trust me THEY ARE THE UGLY ONES not you!!! Stay strong, what goes around undoubtedly comes back around
Original post by Anonymous
All my life i've been called ugly pretty much! It's taken all my self confidence, and I always believed and still do believe what people tell me. There are so many occasions, but i'll say a few

-One time when I was shopping with my friend (she's a bit different to me as in she's pretty and not as shy as me), and as we came to the bustop we sat down and a bus was approaching. All I heard was banging on the windows on the top deck, and about 5 boys, were banging on the window and shouting out, "OI YOU YOU'RE UGLY/ BUTTERS" (a london slang for really ugly). My friend thought it was her and pointed at herself in confusion and they shouted out "NO THAT GIRL NEXT TO YOU" and the bus went past. Made me feel like poo, cause I felt ugly next to my friend anyway! But after the bus went a middle aged man said to me "They have no idea what they're talking about, you're a very fine woman, don't listent to them" I guess that cheered me up

-My cousin came from France to stay with us, and she doesn't speak english, only knows a few words. Anyways, there was a park near our house, and I wasn;t really fond of it because people our age always hung around there, and I hate hanging around with people my age! Anyways we went to play because she insisted, and as we left, and boy on a bike came up to me, and said "um my friend said you two really ugly". I never felt so embarrassed, I just put my head down and kept walking home. What made it worse was that my cousin kept asking, what he said but i made something up.

-I put a picture on facebook, which I hate doing, because I start pointing out flaws! Anyways I got a decent amount of likes, and even a boy liked it! (that never happened, because I usually was too shy to speak to or add boys on facebook) and out of no where a boy i knew from school commented 'fat lips' and ive never felt worse about my lips! I have full lips and loads of people tell me i'm lucky, but ive grown to hate my lips :frown:

These experiences and many others have forced me to believe that I am truly ugly, despite the countless amount of people who tell me I'm not. I hate speaking to boys because i automatically think they are judging me or are trying to avoid me, its ruined my life :/ Before you call someone ugly, think!

How some stranger can come up to you and tell you your ugly is unbelievable. Keep your opinions to yourself people! They obviously just wanted a reaction or something.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Well I've never been called ugly, tbh my school isn't that bad at all. Just back in year 7 as I had dark hair I had a lady stache and I hadn't had my eyebrows done so I knew for a fact people said stuff but not to my face. I don't have evidence of people even saying it, I just kinda knew. Anyway got that sorted in year 8 so it wasn't that bad
Also I never wore makeup in high school so obvs other girls looked more attractive, but I don't know whether I can say the same now. Cheap make up from the age of 11 really does ruin your skin in a couple of years!
I'm 5ft 11 and I've never felt ashamed of it, proud if anything I love my height! Never had any Horrible comments either, actually most people say im lucky and are amazed! but one thing that does annoy me is 'woah how will you find a husband'. There's advantages and disadvantages of being short and tall - it's not something you can control so why bother? (Whereas the eyebrows etc were) also I'm not thin but I'm not fat I always looked a bit broad in my blazer and never liked it but I just lived with it. Our school was alright esp after reading these !!
Original post by Saliency
Maybe looks but definitely not personality.

Hate is strong in this one..:rolleyes:
It's crazy how we've all been told probably 100 compliments for every 1 negative comment, but it's the negative comments that we remember and that haunt us! Stay positive guys!

I had Bell's palsy for roughly 3 months so school was horrific, people I thought were my friends tormenting me "haha only half your face works" etc.
Reply 453
I've been told of by my parents for aiming higher than I have any hope of achieving because I didn't find one of my friends attractive. Apparently I need to look at myself before I claim anyone isn't attractive. :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
I have been called names for as long as I can remember.

From around the age of five up to the present day, people say "Oh look at him he's so dark, I wouldn't be able to see him in the dark" and comments like "You're mum must be an ape because how can you be so dark skinned". This knocked my confidence a lot, I mean it makes you not want to be you.

In Year 7 and 8, I was bullied physically. I would be dragged, pushed, punched, kicked, and I've even had things stolen off of me. I don't know why they used to do it, I was just really, really quiet and I just didn't fight back. They would say things like "Oi, gay boy come here" or "Oi, monkey come here". Then they would say things about me and my family, probably would steal my drink. I used to have an Oasis bottle with me and they would steal it and drink it, then after that they might leave some left and throw that on me, or they would just steal the bottle, open the lid and throw it really high in the air.

When we had PE I would change and go and do the subject, however our school teachers were **** and people used to come into the changing rooms and take peoples things. I have had countless amounts of wallets, shirts and ties replaced. They would hide my things somewhere and make me search for it.

I have had to replace blazers, shirts and jumpers because they would sometimes push me to the ground and my clothes would rip after constant abuse. I would have stains on my clothes near enough everyday, but my parents asked me why are the clothes dirty, it's not muddy today? and I used to say I fell over.

And then to top it all off, I have been bullied about my mental health problem. Have been called nutter, psycho, killer, rapist, and I've even had people saying move away, I think you'll do something to me. It just shows how considerate people are.

I think this has happened because of me. I mean if I wasn't the way I am this would never happen. These bullies took everything I really wanted; academic success and a good life. I was academically excelling all my peers in Year 7/6, gradually the bullying took its toll and I just gave up on everything. I hated my school from day one, and, unfortunately, my childhood has been horrible.

I've been so close to picking up the bottle. The only thing that is stopping me from doing so, is the fact that my uncles and my dad were alcoholics and that I know what will happen if I just constantly drink.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 455
I am a male and I have long hair, mostly nothing serious, like a joke comment or something, if someone says something too negative then I just have to fix em up, sometimes it gets messy.
yes i have, because i'm asian (even though i don't have slit eyes), during grade school when i was super fat and ugly, and during junior high. people said that im ugly and black (an indonesian term for saying that someone is tanned - tanned skin is generally unfavorable here)

oh well. :beard: but i dont get insulted about my looks anymore since high school
Reply 457
Original post by lonelybrummie
I have been called names for as long as I can remember.

From around the age of five up to the present day, people say "Oh look at him he's so dark, I wouldn't be able to see him in the dark" and comments like "You're mum must be an ape because how can you be so dark skinned". This knocked my confidence a lot, I mean it makes you not want to be you.

In Year 7 and 8, I was bullied physically. I would be dragged, pushed, punched, kicked, and I've even had things stolen off of me. I don't know why they used to do it, I was just really, really quiet and I just didn't fight back. They would say things like "Oi, gay boy come here" or "Oi, monkey come here". Then they would say things about me and my family, probably would steal my drink. I used to have an Oasis bottle with me and they would steal it and drink it, then after that they might leave some left and throw that on me, or they would just steal the bottle, open the lid and throw it really high in the air.

When we had PE I would change and go and do the subject, however our school teachers were **** and people used to come into the changing rooms and take peoples things. I have had countless amounts of wallets, shirts and ties replaced. They would hide my things somewhere and make me search for it.

I have had to replace blazers, shirts and jumpers because they would sometimes push me to the ground and my clothes would rip after constant abuse. I would have stains on my clothes near enough everyday, but my parents asked me why are the clothes dirty, it's not muddy today? and I used to say I fell over.

And then to top it all off, I have been bullied about my mental health problem. Have been called nutter, psycho, killer, rapist, and I've even had people saying move away, I think you'll do something to me. It just shows how considerate people are.

I think this has happened because of me. I mean if I wasn't the way I am this would never happen. These bullies took everything I really wanted; academic success and a good life. I was academically excelling all my peers in Year 7/6, gradually the bullying took its toll and I just gave up on everything. I hated my school from day one, and, unfortunately, my childhood has been horrible.

I've been so close to picking up the bottle. The only thing that is stopping me from doing so, is the fact that my uncles and my dad were alcoholics and that I know what will happen if I just constantly drink.

Wow. Even my bullying doesn't live up to that. I don't know how anyone can cope with that. Some people especially children can be filled with such hate and abusive comments, its unbelievable. So sad to hear. Please don't give up because you would be letting them win. I'm sure your beautiful inside & outside.
Original post by Peju
Wow. Even my bullying doesn't live up to that. I don't know how anyone can cope with that. Some people especially children can be filled with such hate and abusive comments, its unbelievable. So sad to hear. Please don't give up because you would be letting them win. I'm sure your beautiful inside & outside.

I really didn't know, and still don't know how I coped with it. I guess one big thing that helped me was seclusion, then again that made it worse.

I think the bullying is one big reason for why I have got my mental health problems, either that or it has severely aggravated it.

The teachers weren't helpful at all, I have been beaten up a few times at school. Once was really bad, a 5/6 boys grabbed and repetitively punched me, kicked me, head butted me until my whole face was red with blood. A few of my teeth were broken too, my teeth were that bad that I couldn't eat soft foods. I could only have soup. The teachers made up a lie that they would give them rubbish grades, which is impossible. I was only in Year 7, the boys who done this were in Year 11. I'm pretty sure what those boys did to me

Nearly all of the bullying was from people that you know weren't going to do anything with their lives. They pretty much ruined my whole school life, I really hated that school and I never wanted to stay there. I remember telling my mum for a good 2 or 3 years to take me out of that school.

It's like for the whole of my life I've never, ever had someone say what you said. It's like I'm not wanted, and have never been wanted.
I've never had anyone try to genuinely insult me. I've never been called ugly, or anything like that. At least not to my face, who knows what's gone on behind my back :tongue:

I have, however, had people try to make jokes with me about being skinny. You know, that whole "you need to get some meat on your bones!" or "eat something!" business. I know they were never trying to make me feel bad, but it still always irritated me because I can't do anything about it.

Edit: Just gone through this thread, it's truly disgusting how nasty some people can be. To everyone who's being bullied, just be thankful that no matter what they say/do to you, you can never be as awful as they are. You will always have the higher ground.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending