Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What grades are you expecting on results day?
    A*A*A* (A2 only)
    5.80%
    A*A*A (A2 only)
    5.11%
    A*AA (A2 only)
    8.61%
    AAA
    10.88%
    AAB
    14.14%
    ABB
    12.30%
    BBB
    5.44%
    BBC
    6.16%
    BCC
    5.05%
    CCC
    1.75%
    CCD
    4.08%
    A*AB (A2 only)
    4.86%
    A*BB (A2 only)
    1.42%
    ABC
    5.89%
    ACC
    1.48%
    Other
    7.04%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vita Student)
    All of your hard work will definitely pay off!

How do you know that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OGFakiie)
    Ah that's great!! What were your gcse grades like? and also what did you talk about in your personal statement?
    i got 3A* 10a's

for your personal statement talk mostly about educational stuff.
    so what you learned in alevels/gcse and how that will help you in chemical engineering. I also had one paragraph on a topic you learn in chemical engineering. for mw it was design project (i included this to show that i have done research into chemical engineering)
    for extra curricular its all about quantity rather than quality(thats what i think )
    just talk about what you did and the skills you gained.

Also if you want to do interview preps
    go on www.iwanttostudyengineering.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamieBritt272)
    Just looked at both of my university's. Both offering clearing for my course. ****. Is this a bad thing or a good thing ? Thoughts ?
    It is just a *thing*

(Original post by Aph)
    Ahhh okay, I personally don't think many educational institution is good in a crisis/quick decision making. It's just from all my talks with admission tutors I assumes that the tolerance was quite a bit and they made sure that unless some exceedingly weird stuff happens they can never be over subscribed. Maybe they gave me too much false confidence in them :lol: I remember Aberdeen hitting the news a few years ago for them having really messed up with student accommodation so I know it's possible I just assumed very uncommon.
    Someone somewhere messes up with accommodation every year with over 100 universities it's bound to happen (and doesn't always make the press).

I think tolerances have been eroded since the student numbers caps came in (and then came off) - basically with £9k fees (which was actually a small decrease in funding for universities in 2012 and has been eroded ever since due to inflation and staff pay rises) it makes financial sense to make sure you're full and don't have facilities or staff under utilised.

ReputationRep:
    If my course has an intake of 60 people and if doesn't go on clearing, does that mean all 60 people who got condition/unconditional offers got in/got the grades?

Of does if simply mean that it hasn't gone onto clearing yet and may well do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justthatboy)
    i got 3A* 10a's

for your personal statement talk mostly about educational stuff.
    so what you learned in alevels/gcse and how that will help you in chemical engineering. I also had one paragraph on a topic you learn in chemical engineering. for mw it was design project (i included this to show that i have done research into chemical engineering)
    for extra curricular its all about quantity rather than quality(thats what i think )
    just talk about what you did and the skills you gained.

Also if you want to do interview preps
    go on www.iwanttostudyengineering.com
    Which college is your offer from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    It is just a *thing*

Someone somewhere messes up with accommodation every year with over 100 universities it's bound to happen (and doesn't always make the press).

I think tolerances have been eroded since the student numbers caps came in (and then came off) - basically with £9k fees (which was actually a small decrease in funding for universities in 2012 and has been eroded ever since due to inflation and staff pay rises) it makes financial sense to make sure you're full and don't have facilities or staff under utilised.
    I guess only the major messes get reported?

Yeah, I was told that the increased feeds was a real terms cut, so do you think that the government bill to up fees will help to stabilise even strengthen tolerances?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoli1998)
    If my course has an intake of 60 people and if doesn't go on clearing, does that mean all 60 people who got condition/unconditional offers got in/got the grades?

Of does if simply mean that it hasn't gone onto clearing yet and may well do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    nit 60 people will have offers, you'll find that maybe up to 100 or even 200 have offers, some will be insurance options and others will have rejected the uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamieBritt272)
    Just looked at both of my university's. Both offering clearing for my course. ****. Is this a bad thing or a good thing ? Thoughts ?
    Don't worry about it, most universities are offering clearing courses for nearly every subject, it's really nothing to worry about!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    5% is 4 marks!!! Not ground breaking but could bump you up a grade.

It does seem insignificant though...
    Ah, great (well, considering the circumstances not exactly), so I get a guaranteed 4 extra marks. In a subject where last year the difference between A and A* was 5 marks that could very well help me quite a lot.

EDIT: Just had a second look. Last year the differences between C, B, A and A* were all 5 marks so a 4 mark increase would definitely bump me up a grade if I wasn't right on one of the grade boundaries. I'm gonna assume that the boundaries will be very similar this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    nit 60 people will have offers, you'll find that maybe up to 100 or even 200 have offers, some will be insurance options and others will have rejected the uni.

So if max 200 have offers, and let's say majority got the grades (AAB) and the max Intake for the course is 60 (or so it says on their website) will they reject people even if they got the grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you miss your firm choice offer, can they offer you an alternative course? Or is that only when you're first receiving offers from universities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoli1998)
    So if max 200 have offers, and let's say majority got the grades (AAB) and the max Intake for the course is 60 (or so it says on their website) will they reject people even if they got the grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No they can't. They have to take everyone who is firmed and gets the grades. The course becomes oversubscribed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    No they can't. They have to take everyone who is firmed and gets the grades. The course becomes oversubscribed.
    Ah I see now. Thanks for explaining!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, does anyone know when edexcel and aqa grade boundaries will be released?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just got an email from my firm, nearly had a heart attack!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkEnergy)
    If you miss your firm choice offer, can they offer you an alternative course? Or is that only when you're first receiving offers from universities?
    Was wondering this too.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure they can.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theonetruequeen)
    Was wondering this too.
    Yes, this can and does happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Effie14)
    It was only my third FE game, and whilst I enjoyed its story and it in general, I appreciate that others may not share my opinion. Was there anything about the story that really bugged you?Same here regarding the lack of knowledge of JRPGs in the west, though I have got my friend into Fire Emblem now!
    It was a good concept and it was interesting at first,But it got boring really soon.Although I liked conquest's story a bit more,Both were quite similar to each other while not really being similar at the same time(Can't really explain) plus that stupid dance/song in conquest ver. made me cringe.Conquest felt like 'Wait for it... Wait for iiitt!' till the end when you FINALLY get to kill the 'bad' guy.Birthright was just too generic for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I guess only the major messes get reported?

Yeah, I was told that the increased feeds was a real terms cut, so do you think that the government bill to up fees will help to stabilise even strengthen tolerances?
    It might do - what is likely to happen in the next 5 years is for universities to get into financial troubles and get taken over. That's what all the recent bills have been working towards - less protection for universities if income plummets. With 18 year olds decreasing, brexit making the UK less attractive to EU students and a new PM who has overseen some of the harshest cuts to student visas while she was home secretary, the outlook for universities that struggle to recruit is not good.

Yes - that's very common (both your firm and insurance can do this if you miss your offer conditions). You can either accept it or (if it is your firm) decline the new offer within 7 days and you'll be passed to your insurance.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.