The Student Room Group

Year 12: University choices

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jordanosborn
Yes, I'm planning on applying for joint honours Maths and Physics courses :smile:

Nice! Which universities? :wink:
Original post by Felix Felicis
Nice! Which universities? :wink:

Warwick, Bath, Durham, Nottingham and possibly Cambridge :smile: You?
Original post by jordanosborn
Warwick, Bath, Durham, Nottingham and possibly Cambridge :smile: You?

Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial, Edinburgh and still somewhat undecided on the last one :wink: But Bath/ Durham's in there, quit similar choices :wink:
I'm hoping to apply for PPE or Politics and Economics, depending on the uni, at Oxford, Durham, Bath, Nottingham, Manchester, York.... decisions decisions! Been to see Oxford, Durham, York and Warwick, York for a 'taster day' last week which meant we had sample lectures and stuff :smile: I really liked Oxford (obviously) and Durham, quite liked York and really disliked Warwick - it's SO far from anywhere and seeing as I've lived in London all my life I think I'd find that really hard to get used to! Anyone else thinking about similar courses?
(edited 11 years ago)
Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial, Edinburgh and still somewhat undecided on the last one :wink: But Bath/ Durham's in there, quit similar choices :wink:

My friend's in her first year of Maths and Physics at Warwick and they have a ridiculous amount of work, way more than the straight Maths students apparently!
Original post by iheartdjokovic
My friend's in her first year of Maths and Physics at Warwick and they have a ridiculous amount of work, way more than the straight Maths students apparently!

Oh, that's fine then, I'm applying for straight Maths at Warwick anyway :wink:

Ah, yes. Tough choice. I think Warwick would be my top choice their joint honours course looks really good. I'm guessing yours would be Cambridge?
Reply 67
If all bodes well with my Results, these are the ones I am deciding on:

Course:
1. English
2. English and History
3. English and Classics

University:
1. Oxford
2. Durham
3. York
4. Warwick
5. Nottingham
Reply 68
Original post by iheartdjokovic
I'm hoping to apply for PPE or Politics and Economics, depending on the uni, at Oxford, Durham, Bath, Nottingham, Manchester, York.... decisions decisions! Been to see Oxford, Durham, York and Warwick, York for a 'taster day' last week which meant we had sample lectures and stuff :smile: I really liked Oxford (obviously) and Durham, quite liked York and really disliked Warwick - it's SO far from anywhere and seeing as I've lived in London all my life I think I'd find that really hard to get used to! Anyone else thinking about similar courses?

Yeah, I'm hoping to do PPE or Economics too. Been to an Oxford open day and found it pretty interesting, I'm hoping to go to open days at Durham and York later in the year. Not surprised you didn't like Warwick, it's pretty near to where I live and I agree, there's not much to do at all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
I want to study Physics/Theoretical Physics. Would love to get in to Imperial, but also like the look of Warwick, UCL and Kings.
Hiya everyone, just stumbled across this thread :biggrin:

I'm in Year 12, and not 100% sure what I want to do yet.. something along the lines of Politics/Sociology/Philosophy but I haven't pinned down a specific course yet!
Although I just discovered King's new RPS course (Religion, Politics & Society) which looks super interesting :biggrin:
Other unis I've been looking at are Bristol, Southampton, Sussex, Nottingham, Birmingham (although I'm probably being hideously optimistic with those unis :lol: )
I'm not really sure what I want to do. I don't really know which path to go down. Whether to do history, PPE, law or even economics/something businessy or to study something like natural sciences or a single science. I'd love to apply to oxford or cambridge but I find their courses on offer very limited. I hate making decisions! :tongue:
I'm thinking about studying Spanish and German at university. It's a bit of a strange combination but it seems like it would be super-interesting. Ideally at somewhere like Cambridge, even though everyone seems to think I'm an 'Oxford Person' (no, i have no idea what that means either). ESPS at UCL looks quite interesting too, as I do love my politics!
I'm such a University geek!
I have written a shortlist, planned which open days I'm going to and even started my personal statement!

I'm wanting to do Medicine and this is my University shortlist. I'll narrow it down to 4 once I've been to the open days :smile:

1. Oxford (Might as well try)
2. Birmingham
3. Aberdeen
4. Bristol
5. Dundee
6. Southampton
Reply 74
Original post by DakotaBlue
Did you get the personalised prospectus from Surrey? I was well impressed when I saw my name on the front cover, haha :tongue:

Personalized prospectus?!? Tell me more! XD :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Original post by UniGirl_x
What subjects do you currently do and what did you get in January exams?:smile:

I'm studying:-
Psychology -A
Biology- did not sit (AS prediction= B)
Chemistry-B
Philosophy and ethics (RS)- did not sit (AS prediction= A)

Hopefully going for that A* in psych next year but i know it will be another step up from AS so i'd be happy with an A. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 76
I'm thinking of applying for earth sciences/geology/geophysics depending on which uni. My list of unis at the moment is Oxford, icl, edinburgh, southampton and manchester/bristol although it changes quite regularly...
Reply 77
English Literature :smile:
Reply 78
Original post by Melas1
I'm studying:-
Psychology -A
Biology- did not sit (AS prediction= B)
Chemistry-B
Philosophy and ethics (RS)- did not sit (AS prediction= A)

Hopefully going for that A* in psych next year but i know it will be another step up from AS so i'd be happy with an A. :smile:

How did you revise for your A psychology?:smile:
Guys my 2014 prospectus for Newcastle uni came today in the post :smile: Just wanted you to know they're available to order. It looks amazing! Motivating me to work hard at the moment, haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending