The Student Room Group

Is it true that all Indian girls hate getting tanned?

Scroll to see replies

There is a certain element of brainwashing in those cultures. But I feel it's just basic human tendencies. Light-skinned people want to get darker while darker skinned people prefer light skin. Grass is always greener on the other side.
Reply 61
I'm brown and I love the sun!

More vitamin D for me.:h:
Tbh there is this mindset among Asians. I honestly think loads of Asians would prefer to have an ugly but light child than a cute dark one.

When I used to go out with my mates, we were of Pakistani, Sri Lankan, Bengali and Indian backgrounds I got the most attention from Asian guys because of my light skin, despite being significantly less attractive than my friends in terms of face, body and clothes.
I think I look prettier with a tan, but I feel insecure when I do because of the importance placed on skin colour in our society, and even in British society. Famous 'ethnic' women widely considered beautiful tend to be mixed race, or lighter than average.
Original post by Ggmu!
I don't even get this because we don't get dark that easily... Even a full day out in the sun won't change my skin shade at all.
All these self haters, no doubt they'll say 'just my preferenceeeeee omgg xxx' but really its colonial conditioning.

You ought to be proud of yourselves!

Well said. Our skin adapts to the stresses of the external environment. That's why lighter skin people become darker to protect against the UV. Darker skin people like Indians tend to be fine in the sun, you don't become darker unless the stresses of the environment cause you to be and I'm certain the stress from the sun in a British summer is nowhere near enough.

There is no greater happiness than being comfortable in your own skin and body. I feel sorry for those that are not.
Reply 64
Check out my foot tan!

Attachment not found
I'm Indian and love getting tanned! :tongue:
Original post by TheBBQ
That's sad, brown/tan skin is lovely. Us Indians should be more happy with our skin, bloody propaganda :grr:

To be honest I think they are happy with their skin as it is now, they just didn't want to get any darker/burn
I am not indian, but I am brown too, but I dont really care if I tan or not. However, my Indian friend does not like to tan, she just says she doesnt want to get darker.
Original post by überambitious_ox
I've heard this a lot, just wondered how true it is.

Not at all...I can't speak for other Indians but we come from very light skinned grandparents so we try to hog the sun as much as we can. Howeveerrrrr I tan reallyyyy easily so I avoid the sun once I've tanned but my two younger sisters are in desperate need of tanning xD I find girls with brown skin and lovely features beautiful though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Original post by Ggmu!
I don't even get this because we don't get dark that easily... Even a full day out in the sun won't change my skin shade at all.
All these self haters, no doubt they'll say 'just my preferenceeeeee omgg xxx' but really its colonial conditioning.

You ought to be proud of yourselves!

Haters like your Indian aunties who married 2 white men?

Self hating? Like you the Indian guy who does drugs/alcohol and premarital sex HAHAHAAHAHAHAH

Please don't make me laught

South asian do tan quickly, the only reason your not tarning is probably because your dark yourself.
I'm South Asian and I don't mind getting "tanned". Although I only tan in very hot weather and even then the sun has to last for quite a few days in order to take any real effect.

I hate the mentality that the lighter shade of brown you are the better. Sometimes people make comments like "so-and-so is pretty even though she's dark" grr. Admittedly, I've only heard this from older generations but I know people my age who share the view that lighter skin is somehow "better" than having darker skin.
I hear that in Asian countries it is better to be lighter skinned as you are given more respect
Not sure how true this is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by toonervoustotalk
I hear that in Asian countries it is better to be lighter skinned as you are given more respect
Not sure how true this is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately, this is true. However, being a Pakistani, I totally disagree with such views. Plus, not every Asian is like this but this is the general view.
Reply 73
Taning is a stupid fad that causes skin cancer. Asian girls don't need to tan anyway....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending