The Student Room Group

religious people- If you found out that your religion wasn't...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Nonsense, an author being dead has no impact on the genius of their work. And that's simply wrong, the Qur'an contains loads of mistakes, contradictions and scientific errors, many of which have been discussed in depth on this site, it's obvious you're new here.

How are there mistakes in Shakespeare's plays? I don't think you know what you're talking about if you think Shakespeare wrote novels...

Their works can be compared to supposedly divine scriptures. I've read much of the Qur'an and find it horribly boring, repetitive and tedious. I much prefer Shakespeare's work.

The Quran contains no contradictions, no scientific errors and no mistakes.

Can you find me one scientific error and quote where in the Quran it is located?

Keith L. Moore is a professor emeritus in the division of anatomy, In the university of Toronto, Canada.
He says that the Quran contains the description of full embryonic development, which was revealed in the 7th century AD. As far as embryology is concerned, little or nothing was known about the classification of embryonic development until the 20th century. He therefore quotes that "For this reason, the description of the human embryo in the Quran cannot be based on scientific knowledge in the 7th century. The only reasonable conclusion is that these descriptions were revealed to Mohammed from God. He could not have known such details for he was an illiterate man with absolutely no scientific training."

Now I'm not trying to prove Islam correct, but this is just one of the many scientific explanations in the Quran that could not have been known in the past. If that doesn't come across to you as something worth looking into, then I don't know what is.
Reply 81
Original post by Faisalshamallakh

Can you find me one scientific error and quote where in the Quran it is located?

Keith L. Moore is a professor emeritus in the division of anatomy, In the university of Toronto, Canada.
He says that the Quran contains the description of full embryonic development, which was revealed in the 7th century AD. As far as embryology is concerned, little or nothing was known about the classification of embryonic development until the 20th century. He therefore quotes that "For this reason, the description of the human embryo in the Quran cannot be based on scientific knowledge in the 7th century. The only reasonable conclusion is that these descriptions were revealed to Mohammed from God. He could not have known such details for he was an illiterate man with absolutely no scientific training."

Now I'm not trying to prove Islam correct, but this is just one of the many scientific explanations in the Quran that could not have been known in the past. If that doesn't come across to you as something worth looking into, then I don't know what is.

But Arabic is really complicated, how do we know it's not misinterpreted™?
Reply 82
Original post by MrKmas508
There are certain things even translations cannot explain such as numbers, names and facts. The Koran says "The Jews call 'Uzair a son of Allah, and the Christians call Christ the son of Allah. That is a saying from their mouth; (in this) they but imitate what the unbelievers of old used to say. Allah's curse be on them: how they are deluded away from the Truth!" Quran 9:30. Uzair being Ezkiel in its English translation. Judaism has been a strictly monotheistic religion since the early days of its creation, they have not viewed Ezekiel as God ever. God isn't referring to a specific group of Jews but instead all Jews, did God make a mistake? God cannot make a mistake therefore it cannot be written by God.

There are many scholars who say that all the Torah were burned and then Uzair made new Torah as he has memorised all of it and then after he rewrote it then that's when they took as the son of God. That's only some of Jews too. The Quran says the Jews and not all of the Jews. So "the" could be referred to one or two or more. Like saying how was the food. You are not actually referring to all the food on the world are you?. Just "The" one"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Any ways I am not a scholar so if you want to know more it's better you ask somethings with more knowledge. I myself trying to learn more about the religion as its obligatory for Muslim to increase his/her knowledge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tooly
But Arabic is really complicated, how do we know it's not misinterpreted™?

Quran unlike other holy texts made loads of bold claims using the best scientific ideas of the time. For every 4 claims it made, 1 was correct and the other 3 Muslims choose to ignore. The Quran says that the moon has an orbit which Muslims celebrate as fact because it's true "the Quran is right they say" but also the Quran says that the sun travels in the orbit which is false "it's just a metaphor, bad translation or it doesn't matter". They make bold claims but don't be assured by their confidence because it is arrogance.
Original post by Faisalshamallakh

It does, there are plenty.

Of course, here is a list to get you started

http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Scientific_Errors_in_the_Quran (And before you dismiss this site as many muslims do, you'll notice that all its points are referenced by the relevant passage in the Qur'an).

Oh dear, you haven't spent much time on the religion section here, have you? Keith Moore has been discussed in depth and his work debunked. He made those comments on Islam being true while he was being paid for research by a Saudi Uni, but guess what happened once the the Uni stopped paying him? He denied that anything in the Qur'an, specifically on embryology was miraculous :mmm:

Moreover, embryology is one of the areas of "scientific knowledge" in the Qur'an that is hopelessly wrong. It fails to mention the female ovum (pretty bad for the all-knowing creator of the universe, right?), says that a foetus is a blood clot and compares it to a leech (both utterly incorrect) and says that semen originates from between the backbone and ribs (false).

The Qur'an simply plagiarised the embryologic science known at the time from the Ancient Greeks, who coincidentally made many of the same errors found in the Qur'an.

Aside from most of the embryology being wrong and thus debunking the Qur'an, it was known at the time. The ancient greeks, as mentioned, had already studied embryology.

Even muslim apologists like Hamza Tzortzis are saying that the scientific miracles narrative is an intellectual embarrassment for muslims and that it should be abandoned.

You may want to watch this video from a fellow muslim

[video="youtube;kVgwHlXjcsA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVgwHlXjcsA[/video]

He makes many mistakes about the scientific method, mind you, but the gist of the video is correct.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Waliid
There are many scholars who say that all the Torah were burned and then Uzair made new Torah as he has memorised all of it and then after he rewrote it then that's when they took as the son of God. That's only some of Jews too. The Quran says the Jews and not all of the Jews. So "the" could be referred to one or two or more. Like saying how was the food. You are not actually referring to all the food on the world are you?. Just "The" one"

Posted from TSR Mobile

Once again the idea that Uzair made a new Torah is impossible to prove and Jews will refuse sternly. This is just one criticism of hundreds read more and see if you can excuse them all. A scholar in Saudi Arabia says the world is flat, they're not always right just because they've spent their life interpreting a book from 1400 years. Now look at mathematical errors. http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Scientific_Errors_in_the_Quran#Mathematical_Error_in_Hereditary_Laws
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 87
Once again the idea that Uzair made a new Torah is impossible to prove and Jews will refuse sternly. This is just one criticism of hundreds read more and see if you can excuse them all. A scholar in Saudi Arabia says the world is flat, they're not always right just because they've spent their life interpreting a book from 1400 years. Now look at mathematical errors. http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Scientific_Errors_in_the_Quran#Mathematical_Error_in_Hereditary_Laws

http://youtu.be/bw33I61DNN0

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe I am correct in understanding that this man claims that the Quran has two Separate rules for different people inheriting a persons wealth. The Quran does not state these rules are seperate explicitly meaning if you interpret it literally work for work the error is still there, also while his claim isn't more than 1 it is less than 1 therefore there is a fraction of wealth to be allocated which the Quran has not advised on. Why is this? If the Qurans author wanted there to be a strict set of rules on the allocation of wealth why wasn't he clearer and where does he want to excess wealth to go. Why didn't he create a simplistic Algebraic mathematical equation which would work for all eternity with similar proportions of wealth allocated, could God not create Algebra. If humans can create Algebra and God cannot does that mean that humans are smarter than God? I agree that his interpretation is possible but it leaves many lose ends on the book which is supposed to answer all questions. There is uncertainty and I've only two examples of the available dozens.
Reply 89
I believe I am correct in understanding that this man claims that the Quran has two Separate rules for different people inheriting a persons wealth. The Quran does not state these rules are seperate explicitly meaning if you interpret it literally work for work the error is still there, also while his claim isn't more than 1 it is less than 1 therefore there is a fraction of wealth to be allocated which the Quran has not advised on. Why is this? If the Qurans author wanted there to be a strict set of rules on the allocation of wealth why wasn't he clearer and where does he want to excess wealth to go. Why didn't he create a simplistic Algebraic mathematical equation which would work for all eternity with similar proportions of wealth allocated, could God not create Algebra. If humans can create Algebra and God cannot does that mean that humans are smarter than God? I agree that his interpretation is possible but it leaves many lose ends on the book which is supposed to answer all questions. There is uncertainty and I've only two examples of the available dozens.

You do know that Quran is just a guide and not mathematics or science book with explanation for everything. There are something which you won't understand by just reading the Quran but if you look at the Hadith then you will understand it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Waliid
You do know that Quran is just a guide and not mathematics or science book with explanation for everything. There are something which you won't understand by just reading the Quran but if you look at the Hadith then you will understand it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it's a book from God then it should have everything. Why should you rely on a Hadith which may be false in order to find the truth. if it was perfect it would have everything or else it's followers aren't informed on how to make the right decisions therefore they are at risk of going to hell. The Quran cannot be perfect as it does not answer all of the questions and you've admitted it yourself. If it's in the Hadith then why wasn't it in the Quran to begin with, did Mohammed think of something which God didn't. I've got homework now so let's finish this up quick,remember to look at the website I had shown you.
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
I used to study Physics at AS level. It was a subject I was not really good in, but I did it any way because I felt it was an important subject which would help me get into the university course I wanted (chemical engineering).

I didn't do well in Physics, in the end. However, I can be comforted in the fact that I did learn some new things which I found interesting, and that at least I tried doing well. It's far better than not having studied the subject or not putting any effort in doing well at all.

This is completely irrelevant to OP's question but may I ask what you ended up doing at uni? And where do you think you went wrong? I'm in a similar position to what you were in- not too great at physics and want to do chemical engineering at uni! I got a low B at AS :\
Original post by Nenestar98
This is completely irrelevant to OP's question but may I ask what you ended up doing at uni? And where do you think you went wrong? I'm in a similar position to what you were in- not too great at physics and want to do chemical engineering at uni! I got a low B at AS :\
Plot twist:

I actually did IB, did well in physics, but never considered doing engineering.
Reply 93
If it's a book from God then it should have everything. Why should you rely on a Hadith which may be false in order to find the truth. if it was perfect it would have everything or else it's followers aren't informed on how to make the right decisions therefore they are at risk of going to hell. The Quran cannot be perfect as it does not answer all of the questions and you've admitted it yourself. If it's in the Hadith then why wasn't it in the Quran to begin with, did Mohammed think of something which God didn't. I've got homework now so let's finish this up quick,remember to look at the website I had shown you.

All I was saying is that you can't expect to find every answer in one book even if it's from God. Imagine what the Quran will be like if it had everything you had in mind. Quran is the book of signs. The Quran is a guide and for the rest of it you look for in the Hadith. I've looked at the website and it's not very good at explaining them probably. It mentions of something which is wrong but doesn't explain it every well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
Plot twist:

I actually did IB, did well in physics, but never considered doing engineering.

*GASP* I'm dying because everyone looked at your original post as something to learn from.. and you lied :clap2:
Original post by Waliid
All I was saying is that you can't expect to find every answer in one book even if it's from God. Imagine what the Quran will be like if it had everything you had in mind. Quran is the book of signs. The Quran is a guide and for the rest of it you look for in the Hadith. I've looked at the website and it's not very good at explaining them probably. It mentions of something which is wrong but doesn't explain it every well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right I've got to go but remember the mark of an intelligent man is someone who can entertain an idea without accepting it, well done for thinking about it. To use your point that website cannot list every error with a very detailed and drawn out explanation for each point because it would be to much. Also some questions are not answered by the Hadith either which leads to doubt and uncertainty on some issues, this is a flaw and therefore perfection is unachievable. I remember reading on another website about the Samaritans and Moses even though the Samaritans didn't exist in moses' times, so it's not all there. Question everything and accept nothing easily, that is the path to enlightenment.
Reply 96
Right I've got to go but remember the mark of an intelligent man is someone who can entertain an idea without accepting it, well done for thinking about it. To use your point that website cannot list every error with a very detailed and drawn out explanation for each point because it would be to much. Also some questions are not answered by the Hadith either which leads to doubt and uncertainty on some issues, this is a flaw and therefore perfection is unachievable. I remember reading on another website about the Samaritans and Moses even though the Samaritans didn't exist in moses' times, so it's not all there. Question everything and accept nothing easily, that is the path to enlightenment.

Nice talking to you see ya

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
It does, there are plenty.

Of course, here is a list to get you started

http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Scientific_Errors_in_the_Quran (And before you dismiss this site as many muslims do, you'll notice that all its points are referenced by the relevant passage in the Qur'an).

Oh dear, you haven't spent much time on the religion section here, have you? Keith Moore has been discussed in depth and his work debunked. He made those comments on Islam being true while he was being paid for research by a Saudi Uni, but guess what happened once the the Uni stopped paying him? He denied that anything in the Qur'an, specifically on embryology was miraculous :mmm:

Moreover, embryology is one of the areas of "scientific knowledge" in the Qur'an that is hopelessly wrong. It fails to mention the female ovum (pretty bad for the all-knowing creator of the universe, right?), says that a foetus is a blood clot and compares it to a leech (both utterly incorrect) and says that semen originates from between the backbone and ribs (false).

The Qur'an simply plagiarised the embryologic science known at the time from the Ancient Greeks, who coincidentally made many of the same errors found in the Qur'an.

Aside from most of the embryology being wrong and thus debunking the Qur'an, it was known at the time. The ancient greeks, as mentioned, had already studied embryology.

Even muslim apologists like Hamza Tzortzis are saying that the scientific miracles narrative is an intellectual embarrassment for muslims and that it should be abandoned.

You may want to watch this video from a fellow muslim

[video="youtube;kVgwHlXjcsA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVgwHlXjcsA[/video]

He makes many mistakes about the scientific method, mind you, but the gist of the video is correct.

Firstly please do not use sources such as WikiIslam that contains inaccurate information and is an online resource that anyone can edit. In fact as soon as I opened the link a message came up: This page is currently under review and may not fully comply with our content guidelines
In its present state, the views expressed here may not reflect the views of WikiIslam. This notice will be removed once the page has been reviewed and/or updated. Please help us in reviewing this article."

So please find a different source. Surely if what you say is factually correct, you'll find more reliable websites to link me up?

Regarding Keith Moore being paid by Saudi Universities, I'm not aware of this and this is the first time I've heard it and I therefore can't comment, do you have some sort of reliable link, possibly a video or something that shows this?

Something I can comment on is the way the foetus is described in the Quran. You're right, it's described as the word "Alaqah" in Arabic, this translates for 3 different things, 2 of which you've stated.
1) Blood Clot
2) Suspended (to be hanging from something)
3) Leech

However you're wrong, they're not utterly incorrect, here is why:

1) Blood clot- In the 3rd week of embryonic development a tubular heart joins with the blood vessels to form a primary cardiovascular system. And by the end of the 3rd week, the blood is circulating and the heart begins to beat on day 21.
2) Suspended- this refers to the umbilical cord, but we can't use this as an example because Suspended refers to step 2, before the baby has even formed. But we now know today that the umbilical cord is formed from the connecting stalk, which is formed as soon as the embryo is formed. This connecting stalk has even been described by John Allen and Beverly Kramer, as an object to "suspend" the developing embryo in the extra embryonic coelom.
3) Leech- If you look at the structure of an embryo in 25 days, and compare it to a leech, they look nearly identical. You can then look at an X-Ray of an embryo and compare it to that of a leech, and you will find that the internal structure of that is extremely similar. Also, the head of the embryo at 22 days looks identical to the back suckers of a leech.

The structure of an embryo is impossible to have been known in the 7th century desert. Or even predicted by the human mind. Only with today's technology can we compare the structure of an embryo to a leech.

I'm not trying to create a heated debate here, but don't you think it's at least worth considering? This is also just one of the many other scientific features of the Quran.
Original post by HAnwar
I don't believe it would, so I can't really answer your question sorry.

If there are many other religions other than yours, they cant all be right
QE2
X

perhaps some of the posts above might be of interest

;-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending