The Student Room Group

Your Dream University?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by callum_law
Certainly not Durham, but likely Nottingham based on quantitative unarguable data. Higher entry, so it attracts the better students. Higher rate of first-class honours, so the better students get the better results. Equal graduate prospects. It at least makes Exeter equivalent to Nottingham, and arguably better.

I am not chauvinistic about Exeter so I am not too bothered about my stake in Exeter, but you do speak with an air of authority which quite frankly might mislead many students on TSR who are applying to university. Come to Exeter if you can't get into Durham, people! Though I did get into Durham, and exceeded the conditions. Don't take my advice.

Higher entry standards at Exeter? False. Nottingham's typical offers average AAA/AAB. And each year they take a whopping 8,000 students, averaging AABB in their A levels. So they take an abundance of top brass students for a wide range of subjects. That is why Nottingham was 2nd in the latest survey of graduate employers targeting universities. Nottingham is looking to get up to AAAB+ by 2020 for the whole student population.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Blitzkrieg15
Higher entry standards at Exeter? False. Nottingham's typical offers average AAA/AAB. And each year they take a whopping 8,000 students, averaging AABB in their A levels. So they take an abundance of top brass students for a wide range of subjects. That is why Nottingham was 2nd in the latest survey of graduate employers targeting universities. Nottingham is looking to get up to AAAB+ by 2020 for the whole student population.

I mean, you can say I'm wrong but you perhaps should look at the HESA stats for graduate prospects and standard entry. Indeed, Exeter was in the list of top universities employers target. And it gives some odd results, so it I wouldn't really consider it the be-all, end-all. It is peculiar that you are moving from the past to future. Exeter might seek to have every student with A*A*A*A*/45 IB Points by 2017. It does not affect the current standing of the university, nor does the performance of the university 9 or 7 years ago. Or the performance of any university, for that matter.
(edited 9 years ago)
I mean, you can say I'm wrong but you perhaps should look at the HESA stats for graduate prospects and standard entry. Indeed, Exeter was in the list of top universities employers target. And it gives some odd results, so it I wouldn't really consider it the be-all, end-all. It is peculiar that you are moving from the past to future. Exeter might seek to have every student with A*A*A*A*/45 IB Points by 2017. It does not affect the current standing of the university, nor does the performance of the university 9 or 7 years ago. Or the performance of any university, for that matter.

Ah, but Nottingham will get an average of at least AAAB by 2020, they will systematically up the entry requirements and offer scholarships to the brightest on a wider scale. They aren't spending hundreds of millions of pounds making what was already a striking campus more advanced for the sake of it. They want to be the nicest university to come to. The only time I've seen as nice a campus environment was at Unilever R&D HQ.
Ah, but Nottingham will get an average of at least AAAB by 2020, they will systematically up the entry requirements and offer scholarships to the brightest on a wider scale. They aren't spending hundreds of millions of pounds making what was already a striking campus more advanced for the sake of it. They want to be the nicest university to come to. The only time I've seen as nice a campus environment was at Unilever R&D HQ.

Going back to your first point about Exeter being **** years ago, the reason it isn't **** anymore is because it has climbed the rankings due to a lot of strategic investment: and they just keep climbing. We could be here all day about how bad X uni was last decade, and how good Y uni will be in the next decade. Or how nice Nottingham campus is (Exeter's is rated highly as well, all flowery and ****). Overall, no indication of what X and Y are now. What tells us about X and Y are the stats. Exeter edges it.

Apologies for all the stars. It's a fun game trying to guess what they covered up.
Going back to your first point about Exeter being **** years ago, the reason it isn't **** anymore is because it has climbed the rankings due to a lot of strategic investment: and they just keep climbing. We could be here all day about how bad X uni was last decade, and how good Y uni will be in the next decade. Or how nice Nottingham campus is (Exeter's is rated highly as well, all flowery and ****). Overall, no indication of what X and Y are now. What tells us about X and Y are the stats. Exeter edges it.

Apologies for all the stars. It's a fun game trying to guess what they covered up.

Exeter isn't one of the UK's prestigious universities. A very good one at best.
Exeter isn't one of the UK's prestigious universities. A very good one at best.

And ipse dixit is a beautiful device.

Seems this discussion can only become tautological, so I bid you adieu.
I have to say, the University of Bristol has beautiful buildings.
Original post by Gott
Heidelberg
Will you go to uni there?
Original post by Gott
I hope so but I'm in year 12 at the moment and my German wouldn't be good enough I don't think, Perhaps I'll get it up to standard when I leave sixth form first. Also, I imagine it's very difficult to get into despite the difference between the German and English system

Isn't German your native language?
Dream uni? Either MIT or Cambridge :tongue:

Too bad MIT would cost waay too much (assuming I could even get the grades, not sure on their entry requirements)
Original post by Gott
No, unfortunately, I've had to learn fairly recently

I can see the language requirement for university studies could be quite high. But maybe spending a couple of months in Germany (being in the environment) could help you become proficient faster.
Original post by AstroNandos
Dream uni? Either MIT or Cambridge :tongue:

Too bad MIT would cost waay too much (assuming I could even get the grades, not sure on their entry requirements)

You could go to MIT for postgrad if you want. They usually have funding.
Original post by IWantToBeThere
You could go to MIT for postgrad if you want. They usually have funding.

That's the plan :biggrin:
Original post by Gott
I think it'll have to be before applying as you have to do a prociency test to show your virtualy fluent (and that isn't really me at the moment). Though having said that someone on our EPQ trip said she studied a year in Germany and couldn't speak a work on the first day. All quite confusing

Maybe the program she attended was an English-language program?
Original post by Gott
No it was German, she said 'if you want to make it really difficult for yourself'. Do they even do this, exchanging between universities?

You mean she spent part of her degree program in Germany as an exchange student? If so, I guess you should look into individual unis and see which ones have exchange programs.
But I'm having difficulty understanding how she did this if it was in German and she didn't know any German beforehand. :confused:
Pigfarts, it's on Mars.
Dundee for location and the student life is meant to be great, also the law library, still awaiting decision from them but have an unconditional for Abertay to study LLB
Royal Holloway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Central Saint martins

Art is so subjective so one can never even be sure if they have a chance...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cambridge.

But they don't do my course so I had to apply elsewhere. <//3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending