The Student Room Group

If I start taking the pill a couple of days before my period is due, will it stop it?

Ok I have a few days away booked for the end of this week and my period is due within the next few days.
I was on Microgynon a few months ago, stopped taking it now but I still have some left. If I start taking it again tonight what do you think are the chances of me managing to stop my period coming?
Have googled this but can't find anything.

Just to note, I don't need this for contraception so that's nothing to worry about.
Reply 1
Bump, really need an answer :frown:
No.

Go to the docs, they can prescribe you with something designed for stopping periods temporarily.
Reply 3
There's a pretty good chance it wont work as far as I know, you ideally want to be taking the pill a month or two to be sure to stop it.
Reply 4
it wont hurt you so try it and good luck :smile:
Reply 5
It won't work -
Reply 6
grace_90
it wont hurt you so try it and good luck :smile:

It won't hurt her no but it might start to alter her hormones again. Depends how long the pills need to kick in and how many are taken.
Reply 7
It want elevate oestrogen sufficient to inhibit the sloughing of the endometrial (period) you'd need something for temporary cessation.
Reply 8
Took one last night anyway, thought it was worth a shot. Still no sign of it today. Do you reckon it would be lighter if it did come in the next few days while I'm taking the pill? Thanks for the replies so far :smile:
Reply 9
Don't know if it'll work.
but The docotors can prescribe norethisterone. it will delay ur period till u stop taking the pills
Reply 10
hi im just wondering if you ever did manage to postpone your period as I'm having the same problem right now, staying at my boyfriends in a few days and just realised i'll probably be on my period!!
I'm having this nightmare too! I was told a couple of days ago that I'm going abroad in a week, and for the whole time I am there I'll be on my period. I started taking the pill a couple of days ago and I am planning to continue taking it until I come back from holiday. Hopefully I will not get my period while away due to the fact mines are very painful and will probably leave me suffering. Let me know how it all turns out for you.
this is a note for future people who ma look on the post

i took the pill for the first time , a few days before my period was due and it did stop it , although there was spotting with tiny amounts a uterus lining. it was nothing that little bit of toilter paper couldn't solve. it wasn't even enough to fill a panty liner. however, i do regret just not taking it the first day of my natural period. it seems like this brownish discharge/spotting will last until i get the withdrawal bleed in 2 weeks time. but only time will tell.

therefore , if you would like to take it before your period to ensure that you will not have period as such , yes it wil stop it . however , if you are planning to this because you want to go to a boyfriend house, you might not want to have sex with weird brown adn drops of blood coming out of your vagina
Reply 13
im having the same issue. my boyfriend is coming to stay soon and I haven't seen him in a while. are there any solutions? would you suggest I go back on the pill. I stopped taking it when I got to uni and im wondering if its worth taking it now to stop my period for next week ?? if not is there anything anyone else can suggest, im crazy busy this week to go to doctors so would pick up something from a pharmacy?

Latest

Trending

Trending