The Student Room Group

Worrying about getting into uni (terrible grades)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
no-fat-chicks
I'm not too sure, could be a studio engineer/technician, music producer

- "Many freelance sound engineers work in live sound, recording or production, film and television post production, TV broadcast, theatre, audio post production, computer games; radio, or a combination of these areas."

I'd just love to work in the music industry By the way, I meant a music tech/live sound degree not a general music degree.

Get a job and work your way up. It'll be cheaper for you and makes much more sense imo. If you feel a degree will push you further in the future, do it as a mature student when you have some practical experience and will maybe find it easier to study and understand. Also, you'll have savings.
Reply 21
no-fat-chicks
Well I was thinking of doing a music technology course because I've been improving in that subject this year. Not really thought of anything else but uni because of my dad, he lives far away from me and thinks i'm a genius even though i've told him i'm not good academically. He wants me to go to university and i personally do want to go.

I think my grades are because i am easily distracted when studying and find it impossible to concentrate and remember facts in exams.

Ps. thanks for the quick replies :smile:

Well, first of all, forget what your dad thinks or wants. It's your life, not his.

Secondly, be honest with yourself. You may say you want to go to uni but what would be the point? Even with your grades, I'm sure you could still find a bottom rung university that would find you a spot on some course or another but then, why spend 3 years to acquire a third rate degree from a third rate university?

Couldn't you find something that you could really enjoy and excel at and spend 3 years immersed in that instead?
How many such jobs are available such year, how many people go after those jobs, and would it be possible for you to train on the job / through college or otherwise not through university?

There are some degrees that over recruit massively - I believe that there are 40 times as many new Media Studies graduates each year as there are vacancies in the sector.
Origami Bullets
What were your GCSE grades, and were you working then? If so, how many hours?

200 points would be CDD

No i wasn't working during my GCSEs but i didn't revise for my exams either but i got:

3 B's
5 C's
2 D's

Although many people on TSR would consider these grades crap, I'm quite proud of myself lol
Well I think i will apply for music tech courses on UCAS, work my ass off this year and If I get good A-level results I will decline my offers, take a gap year (and possibly do a course with the Open uni) and then re-apply for UCAS next year?

or would you think thats a terrible idea?
Reply 25
3 B's
5 C's
2 D's

You have your 5 A's to C's which is what counts :smile:. Do you have at least a C in Maths and English?

You won't get into a great Uni OP, but seeming as you've cut your hours down and if you get your act together you could most likely try to get onto a 200 points course?

Marjons in Plymouth ask for EE.

However, do you really want to go University or do you feel that because everyone else is doing it you have to? I suggest you go and speak to your careers advisor :smile:

Well I think i will apply for music tech courses on UCAS, work my ass off this year and If I get good A-level results I will decline my offers, take a gap year (and possibly do a course with the Open uni) and then re-apply for UCAS next year?

I think this is a good plan.
yesioo

However, do you really want to go University or do you feel that because everyone else is doing it you have to?

I want to go to university so that I will end up with a higher paid job in a subject I enjoy doing.

And I got B in GCSE maths and C in English language (D in literature).

Also, my plan has a major flaw....what if my A-level results are bad?
Reply 27
I want to go to university so that I will end up with a higher paid job in a subject I enjoy doing.

And I got B in GCSE maths and C in English language (D in literature).

Also, my plan has a major flaw....what if my A-level results are bad?

It may not happen, it all depends on the degree you gain and what you do with it.
If you get bad results you can always retake.
no-fat-chicks
My As grades:

Government & politics(Overall>E):
Unit 1> D
Unit 2>U

Music Technology(Overall>E):
Coursework>D
Exam>U

Biology(Overall>E):
Unit 1>C
Unit 2>U
Practical exam>D

Chemistry(Overall>E):
unit 1>U
Unit 2>U
Practical exam>C

I've dropped chemistry and I'm re-taking unit 2 of politics and biology and the music tech exam.

Just worrying that I won't be able to get into uni because i'm not good at exams and get terrible marks!!!

Then prepare to do better at your exams. It's not that you're not good, maybe you just don't know to structure your exam, make it flow properly and constructively? If concentration is a problem, get it sorted; force yourself to get motivated and get on with it.
no-fat-chicks

Why not apply for deferred entry, so that you can start after your gap year, but still apply this year?
no-fat-chicks
My As grades:

Government & politics(Overall>E):
Unit 1> D
Unit 2>U

Music Technology(Overall>E):
Coursework>D
Exam>U

Biology(Overall>E):
Unit 1>C
Unit 2>U
Practical exam>D

Chemistry(Overall>E):
unit 1>U
Unit 2>U
Practical exam>C

I've dropped chemistry and I'm re-taking unit 2 of politics and biology and the music tech exam.

Just worrying that I won't be able to get into uni because i'm not good at exams and get terrible marks!!!

i will not lie does are crap grades, but look on the bright side, if i were you id retake unit2 of government and politics this january along with music tech exams, plus try and improve your coursework on music tech, and retake unit 2 biology, if all goes well you could then think about retaking other modules were you got c/d in june
one last thing, list all your unit grades as pending.. for your own good
Reply 32
I know this may sound extreem but have you thought of retaking year 12? My friend did this as he had crap grades, but when he retook the whole year he really knuckeled down and got BCC for his second lot of AS's and is doing well so far this year.

Another option would be to do a foundation year at a uni which would mean an extre year of studying, but you can get student finance for all four years. I know people who are doing this who are finding it incredably rewarding, and getting good grades.

I know a lot of people are saying "is uni for you" and all of this stuff, but it sounds like you have a really good plan, the problem with things like media degrees is they are too vague and the media industry apparently prefers graduates from courses such as "film and TV production" but music tech sounds a lot more specific and could leed to a rewarding career. It might be good to try and find some experience in this area, perhaps over the summer.
lorietta
I know this may sound extreem but have you thought of retaking year 12? My friend did this as he had crap grades, but when he retook the whole year he really knuckeled down and got BCC for his second lot of AS's and is doing well so far this year.

Another option would be to do a foundation year at a uni which would mean an extre year of studying, but you can get student finance for all four years. I know people who are doing this who are finding it incredably rewarding, and getting good grades.

I know a lot of people are saying "is uni for you" and all of this stuff, but it sounds like you have a really good plan, the problem with things like media degrees is they are too vague and the media industry apparently prefers graduates from courses such as "film and TV production" but music tech sounds a lot more specific and could leed to a rewarding career. It might be good to try and find some experience in this area, perhaps over the summer.

I really really would like to avoid retaking my As year again, much rather do a foundation year at uni.

I really appreciate the people who are helping me, unlike the ones that are basically saying i'm **** and not to go uni etc...
Reply 34
If you want to do Music Technology, you might consider switching to a BTEC National Diploma in Music Technology. Or you could finish your A-Levels and then apply for HNDs or Foundation degrees in Music Tech. These make up the first two years of university-level study, and are probably easier to get onto than a BSc. You can then go into a job or top-up to a BSc (one more year of study).

For example, this Foundation degree in Music and Sound Technology at Bournemouth University (not a bad uni for creative subjects) only has entry requirements of 80-120 UCAS points. If you do well you can top up to their BSc (Hons) Music and Audio Technology. However, a foundation degree is probably enough to get a job as a technician in sound recording/radio production (my guess).
Reply 35
I'd say you have a few options- you could resit either year 12 or 13, whilst making sure you cut down on work and really study hard, or see if you can take a foundation year. Don't go to a university/course you're not happy with or will be of no use to you! Good luck :smile:
UPDATE:

Just to let y'all know I've actually received an offer from Hull University, asking for 220 Points.

Think I could make it ?

:smile: still waiting for a reply from my other choices.
no-fat-chicks
UPDATE:

Just to let y'all know I've actually received an offer from Hull University, asking for 220 Points.

Think I could make it ?

:smile: still waiting for a reply from my other choices.

Congratulations!
Hey just thought i'd let people know I ended up deciding to take a year out, i'm working in a small business and studying a part-time business course. I've applied to uni again for 2011 entry and have an unconditional offer :biggrin: still waiting for the other choices to reply.

So yeah even with D's and E's at A-level, people can still get into uni :smile:

I want to go to Durham I think as my first choice, whats everyones opinions of it?
Allaya'll people keep going on about '3rd rate universities' and how if the university isn't good then your degree is pointless. That makes no sense, a degree is a degree, it'll be easier to get a better grade if you go to a better university sure, because the standard of teaching is higher but just because an institution isn't the best, doesn't detract from the grade at degree.

Just sayin'...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending