The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Im thinking the same thing- I take English single honours and am not worried about those modules, but my subsid Spanish I may well fail in. My teacher said that 'i dont want to fail because I'd have to retake in my second year', and apparently thats bad because its loads more work on top of your new workload in second year. But to me just retaking in second year doesnt seem *so* bad, although for me if I fail this subsid this year I would be gutted as I want to get the best possible overall grade in my first year, even though it doesnt count!
I can't believe they'd kick you out for failing a module, or at least I hope with every fibre of my being that it's not true!!
Hope this helps, although I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone else has more info. PS Im at nottingham too xxx
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Same position as me Scarlet. One of my modules has a 35% fail rate, which is rediculously high, and after looking at past papers, I can see why. I've been getting literally just on the boundary of pass/fail a lot, and, after pouring all my revision time into that ( which granted, should have been more )... i'm now feeling a bit cack about the other exams.
I should pass them all, i'm pretty sure I will unless I fail the 35% fail rate one ( financial accounting ). It *should* be ok, but.. y'know, the thought is there and it would be nice to know.
I've already finished and passed 2 modules, so I have exams for the other 4, three of which i've got fairly good courseworks which nearly puts me over the pass boundary anyway, but financial accounting,.. urgh.
Reply 3
NutterzUK
Same position as me Scarlet. One of my modules has a 35% fail rate, which is rediculously high, and after looking at past papers, I can see why. I've been getting literally just on the boundary of pass/fail a lot, and, after pouring all my revision time into that ( which granted, should have been more )... i'm now feeling a bit cack about the other exams.
I should pass them all, i'm pretty sure I will unless I fail the 35% fail rate one ( financial accounting ). It *should* be ok, but.. y'know, the thought is there and it would be nice to know.
I've already finished and passed 2 modules, so I have exams for the other 4, three of which i've got fairly good courseworks which nearly puts me over the pass boundary anyway, but financial accounting,.. urgh.

are you by any chance doing FAM!?

FA tommorw, its not going to be pretty! lol
Reply 4
Lol, tell me about it.
Nope, i'm doing computer science and management. I had an optional choice for the management side,.. and of all things to choose....
There's a special algorithm for working out if we can retake. There's all sorts of odd rules about soft fails, hard fails, averages, number of credits passed and such and I'm pretty sure it's a university wide thing. My personal tutor said it's not the end of the world but unless you reeeeally fail you can't retake if you have enough credits to make up for it.

Want me to hunt it out? I'm currently fearing MCS but I know CSA is going to be the killer :frown:
Reply 6
You have to do a retake, on all bits of the module that are under fourty percent. If you manage to get over 40 percent on average after the retakes, then you are ok. If you don't it's bad news. I think if you fail one module, after retakes in the first year, you will be let off, but if you had to resit three, for example, and only passed one, or less, then you're kicked out. Second year, you are allowed retakes too, but you have to pass all of them. At least, that is how it works in some places, apparently.
From the CompSci website (should be the same for most Notts courses): "Unlike some other modular assessment systems (e.g. most 'A' levels) it is NOT possible to retake modules or years if you fail them or "give up". You have ONLY ONE chance to resit the assessment in any failed module, and your resit mark is normally only considered when deciding whether you can continue your studies (e.g. resit marks do not normally count towards your final degree class). So it is vital that you do as well as you can in your assessments right from the beginning of your study."

Then there's a table to say if you're eligible for a retake. If you've made enough points up to progress then retaking isn't allowed.

http://webservices.cs.nott.ac.uk/intranet/index.php/guides-and-handbooks-mainmenu-82/ug-handbook-mainmenu-87/studying-at-nottingham/progression-classification-and-graduation
Scarlet Pimpernell
Im thinking the same thing- I take English single honours and am not worried about those modules, but my subsid Spanish I may well fail in. My teacher said that 'i dont want to fail because I'd have to retake in my second year', and apparently thats bad because its loads more work on top of your new workload in second year. But to me just retaking in second year doesnt seem *so* bad, although for me if I fail this subsid this year I would be gutted as I want to get the best possible overall grade in my first year, even though it doesnt count!
I can't believe they'd kick you out for failing a module, or at least I hope with every fibre of my being that it's not true!!
Hope this helps, although I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone else has more info. PS Im at nottingham too xxx

Omg I'm having the same problem with my Italian module and doing English too.
In fact should be studying Italian now!
La Esmerelda
Omg I'm having the same problem with my Italian module and doing English too.
In fact should be studying Italian now!

Hope it goes better than my Spanish! I had my exam the other day, it went very slightly better than expected but still dont think it was a pass. My teacher is crap, shes such a bitch and is very patronising, my whole spanish thing was a bit of a disaster really :frown: Oh well, i still <3 English!
Scarlet Pimpernell
Hope it goes better than my Spanish! I had my exam the other day, it went very slightly better than expected but still dont think it was a pass. My teacher is crap, shes such a bitch and is very patronising, my whole spanish thing was a bit of a disaster really :frown: Oh well, i still <3 English!

Yeah english has been ok-no exams! But I'm still tripping over the academic community presentation (ridiculous module!), did that go ok for you?
La Esmerelda
Yeah english has been ok-no exams! But I'm still tripping over the academic community presentation (ridiculous module!), did that go ok for you?

Well Ive got mine tomorrow and im pretty prepared, thank god and then itl all be OVER!!! x
I do mechanical engineering and last year I failed a module (37%) and nothing happened, no retake or anything. Exept my (rather hopeless) tutor scared the ***** out of me because she told me I did have to retake, and I had a family holiday booked around retake time!
Not sure I agree with the sentiments there - I'd think it costs them money to have to put on resit exams and charging is quite fair seeing as you get the first sitting free.
(edited 3 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending