The Student Room Group

Consciousness after this life+people i dislike

Couldn't the chemicals making up your consciousness come together again at a later point? So that you'll experience consciousness over and over in different bodies/forms. This idea scares me. What if I come back less intelligent and in a less good looking form than somebody who I dislike in this life? If the consciousness is experienced again infinitely many times, I'd imagine we'd all end up roughly equal in terms of looks, happiness, recognition, intelligence and anything else, if you average all the forms we take. Again, this terrifies me as there are people who I dislike and I don't want to be my equal.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I doubt I'd care that much after this life, as I wouldn't know who the other people were when they took different forms...I think

But the idea of people who I dislike being better/equal to me scares me
Reply 2
Also, imagine the sort of suffering you might be put under when you experience consciousness again after this life.
Reply 3
No. How would every molecule that makes us up come back together... and then somehow come back to life, as the same person it was before? :s-smilie:
Reply 4
I guess motivation might make the difference. If you're a motivated person, you still might on average win by making the most of every situation you're given. Would you maintain this motivation in all your forms?
Reply 5
dichr0ic
No. How would every molecule that makes us up come back together... and then somehow come back to life, as the same person it was before? :s-smilie:

given infinite time and all the atoms moving around randomly, your consciousness could happen again.
Reply 6
Well it's not that bad to tell the truth, you learn to live with it, i've kept the same conciousness for the past eternity, and the trend looks set to continue. And if/when your conciousness re-incarnates, it usually does so with no attached memory, so you won't have that same outlook. The only reason my memory has stayed on is, well it's probably beyond your comprehension, so I won't go into it.
Reply 7
SOTEK
Well it's not that bad to tell the truth, you learn to live with it, i've kept the same conciousness for the past eternity, and the trend looks set to continue. And if/when your conciousness re-incarnates, it usually does so with no attached memory, so you won't have that same outlook. The only reason my memory has stayed on is, well it's probably beyond your comprehension, so I won't go into it.

Are you really the same person without the attached memory?
Also, given infinite time, I'd imagine you'd come back with attached memory infinitely many times.
Reply 8
Anonymous
given infinite time and all the atoms moving around randomly, your consciousness could happen again.

yeah sure maybe the atoms could come back together

but it's not the atoms that made the consciousness, rather the cells made by the atoms, in the naturalistic sense (:wink2:). just having the atoms together won't make the cells, and i don't think an infinite amount of time would make cells out of atoms...
Reply 9
conciousness isn't made up of 'chemicals', sorry.
Reply 10
You're assuming that time is infinite, when it is very much finite.
Reply 11
Anonymous
Are you really the same person without the attached memory?
Also, given infinite time, I'd imagine you'd come back with attached memory infinitely many times.

The same "conciousness" is reborn, memory of prevoius life is not, memory is gained over lifespan. Given the infinite nature of probabilty, the possibility for rebirth of memory exists, however, the human race is unlikely to experience this.
Reply 12
Erm, no :tongue:

Even if by some *ridiculously* small chance every single atom in your body was brought back together in precisely the same order to create the exact same cell structure with the same DNA as you have now...it still wouldn't be you.

Put it this way, if we were able to create exact replicas of people, with the same memories, experiences, personalities, everything down to the tiniest detail so it was essentially you, you wouldn't suddenly have 2 counsciences or see through 2 different sets of eyes. By extrapolation, if you then died, you wouldn't suddenly wake up in your clone's body and resume living.
No. How would every molecule that makes us up come back together... and then somehow come back to life, as the same person it was before?

This.

The laws of probability, combined with entropy and heat death of the universe say no to this.

conciousness isn't made up of 'chemicals', sorry.

What's it made of then?
Reply 14
Samw1se
You're assuming that time is infinite, when it is very much finite.

Seriously?
And to the other people: your whole body doesn't have to be remade, just your consciousness and memories part. If time isn't finite, this could happen. Given enough time, and the atoms moving about freely enough, they could come together in the way that they are now to produce your consciousness.
Reply 15
spread_logic_not_hate
This.

The laws of probability, combined with entropy and heat death of the universe say no to this.

What's it made of then?

what happens after the heat death of the universe? just because it isn't happening in this universe, why couldn't it happen somewhere else?
Reply 16
Anonymous
Seriously?
If time isn't finite, this could happen.

It is, and no, it couldn't.
I'm sorry if you're being serious, but otherwise you sound like a bit of a nutter.
Reply 18
No.
what happens after the heat death of the universe? just because it isn't happening in this universe, why couldn't it happen somewhere else?

After the heat death of the universe, nothing happens. Everything is in its equilibrium state: no processes can occur.

As for getting out of the universe, how does the information of your consciousness get out of this universe into another, in which (if it exists) the laws of physics need not even be the same and hence your consciousness may not even be capable of being constructed there.

Latest

Trending

Trending